Would you worry?

Anything about BXs
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Would you worry?

Post by Kitch »

Had a text while I was at work today to say that a random bloke had knocked the door and asked if my 16v was for sale or not, as it hadn't moved for a while. It doesn't get used much, but does get use. To most passers by it probably looks unused at the back of my driveway.

Still seemed odd though, as I remember someone on here having some dodgey bloke knocking their door asking if the car was for sale or scrap etc. And someone on the old 16v forum had their's nicked shortly after the knock.
To cap it all off, one of the guys at work's dad had a rare Yamaha bike, and two blokes came to ask if it was for sale in a white van. Two days later it was stolen, by a white van.

It wasn't a white van that was outside mine apparently. It was a Clio :lol:

Don't know whether to be worried or not. I get paranoid about that car. Sometimes people do pop over and ask about it, but usually only if I'm outside doing something. Or we do get the odd salesman who asks about it once he's realised he isn't going to get a sale! And theres a Sainsburys bloke who asks too, but I think they're all harmless!

Needless to say, it's now in the garage, being blocked in by the 16RS and a Fiesta with an alarm! But it won't be able to stay in there long as the GT has started leaking again. I'm a bit reluctant to keep it outside.....and come August I may have to use it daily for a bit. :shock:

Thoughts?
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

I've read about this elsewhere.

A couple of years ago my Tranny camper was parked outside my house, in the middle of nowhere, and I got a knock on the door. Scruffy bloke, could have done with a bloody good wash, reminded me of a Gurier from my days in Eire. Asked about the camper.

Rang my mate who's lived in the village twenty odd years, told him. He said, 'let down the tyres and lock the doors.'

That night my two (then) dogs were going ape at around 3.30 am. Got up, spectacles on, looked out of window...yep, there's someone talking a bit of interest in my machine.

Ran down stairs, opened the door and let out two rabid Border Collies.

I did shout a welcome for cuppa as they got in the car...kettles still on!!

Best advice is get a bl**dy good dog and let it go at the first sign of trouble.
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

software's gone mad...two posts the same.

Just a thought about keeping dogs. Told our local copper who lives in the village, any trouble I'll let my dogs go. (Got 4 now)

His reply, 'best thing you can do Tel, I don't want to know.'

I said, don't come to me if someone gets bitten on my land.

He replied, 'If they're up to no good they aren't going to complain to me, now, are they?'

Fair enough!

Have to say some miserable person undid 4 out of 5 wheel nuts on two rear wheels on my Landrover last year. Almost killed Kathryn when she drove it. Truck coming the other way and she couldn't steer properly. Odd thing is, Landrover wheels nuts aren't standard size, I think its 29mm, so somebody came prepared.

Police weren't interestered. Just asked if I had any idea who had done it.

If I had an idea the bast*rd wouldn't be alive now. Dogs would have got him.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Do you think they might nick it because it's a 16v :?: Or because it's an old car just sat sitting there. :?

Many cars are going missing now just because of the price of scrap.

I know my mate has a habit of knocking on doors if he see's a BX sat in one place for a long time. But he would want to put it back on the road, not weigh it in. I'll have to tell him, they're talking about him all over the country. :lol:
They think it's all over, it is now!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

hhmm, dificult.
I had a few guys asking about mine when it was in pieces on the driveway, sometime later some parts went missing I left laying around in the garden, but they were all scrap so I didn't care.

Had a guy a while ago ask if my car was for sale whilst I was parking it up at work. I said no. Couple of weeks later I see him in the carpark at GSF buying bits for his 205.

I've had quite a few people stop by and ask if I have any scrap metal (cars) I want cleared (I'm kinda known for breaking cars where I used to live like) but they always asked before touching anything, and they were always specific about the word scrap".

I'd be a bit worried, and would follow Terry's advice. Not only are dogs man's best friend, but they are loyal and protective of property / territory.

They work well on druggies too.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

When my BX was hardly in normal use 'cos at that time I was driving a company car, I had quite a lot of knocks at the door asking if I wanted to sell it from quite a diverse range of individuals. :evil: It is disturbing to know that people are observing your posessions over a period of time but it seems quite innocuous. However, there was 1 attempt at breaking into the BX through the window seal which was fortunately not successful. :D

I had a caller the other day asking about the caravan (which has happened several times) and you do wonder why as although I havent used it in years it still gets an annual clean and is glass window vintage. :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

This kind of thing has been happening for years I'm afraid and the high price of scrap really doesn't help. Even locking it up, letting the tyres down and putting steering wheel clamps etc on won't stop the most determined I'm afraid. A decent winch will pull just about anything up and a Hiab will do the lot and they aren't going to be too bothered about sepnding a few minutes doing so either.
I'd suggest getting some of those driveway gateposts that you can lock in position (won't beat a hiab but still a good deterrent) a good alarm and asking your neighbours to keep an eye out, even CCTV if neccessary.
Some bastard nicked one of my cars a few years ago, only paid a fiver for it but that's not the point.
If you do get any further problems or they try and take the car drop me a pm and I'll tell you what we did to who we were told nicked it. VERY effective and cost f*ck all to do :wink:
Vauxhall apologist.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

What's a hiab, Billy?

It's a good point about dogs. Where I used to live, all the houses along the terrace got broken into except us once. We had a dog. He was a soppy old labrador, but the thieves didn't know that - they heard him barking and that was that.

It's a shame I'm more of a cat person really... they're not so much of a deterrent :(
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

My Xantias stored at my mums and she had someone knock at the door asking if it was scrap, she sent them away with a flea in their ear, its now coverd up, but has 2 far newer cars parked behind it so Im hoping its safe!
saint gaz
BXpert

Post by saint gaz »

stuart_hedges wrote:What's a hiab, Billy?

:(
I alwasy thought a hiab was sort of a flat back trailer with a crane on the back to lift stuff off and on with. Could be wrong though.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

tim leech wrote:My Xantias stored at my mums and she had someone knock at the door asking if it was scrap
Come on Tim - easy enough mistake :lol:
They think it's all over, it is now!
Ross_K

Post by Ross_K »

stuart_hedges wrote:What's a hiab
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

/\

One of them big cranes. All you need to do is open the front doors or smash both front windows, put the chains thorugh the inside of the car and off you go.

*NB: I haven't and wouldn't take anyone's car without their permission.
Vauxhall apologist.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

ken newbold wrote:
tim leech wrote:My Xantias stored at my mums and she had someone knock at the door asking if it was scrap

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

ken newbold wrote:

S*D off! :D