BX Options

Anything about BXs
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

BX Options

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Having today driven a diesel auto I really dont want one. They're just so damn slow compared with what we're used to.

So what shall we do?

The GTi has been a brilliant car. Other than the engine its in seriously fine fettle. I've done so much to it to make it reliable for 'er indoors but the fuel consumption is crippling (Winter 22mpg, Summer 26mpg).

I suppose its possible that the engine wear is contributing to the crap fuel figures.

Do we say, well sod it. Keep the one we've got, put a replacement engine in it and hope the fuel consumption maintains a steady 26-28mpg or just get a completely different car and join the real world of depreciation and lacklustre driving?
Over and out from me
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Honestly Ian, if i were in your position, I would keep the Gti and pick up a good, low-mileage engine for it.
You would still have your original engine in case you fancied doing a slow rebuild on it.
You are obviously very attached to the car, and the fact that you have already lavished a lot of time, money, and new parts on it, means that there is little else to "go wrong"! To get rid now, for the sake of a tired lump, would really feel like money and time down the drain.
I'm sure there are quite a few great GTi engines knocking around, for less than £100. What other car could give you the same satisfaction and security in its reliability, for that kind of money?

Just MHO!

Cheers
Dave
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Frying pans and fires Ian. You might buy another BX which is crap and needs loads doing to it in a very short time. I'd personally perservere with the GTi auto and find another engine (decent engine with crap shell so you could try the motor out?) or recondition your current engine.
That car is way to nice to consider selling, I honestly don't think you'll find another anywhere near as good for less than the cost of another decent engine in your's.
Vauxhall apologist.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

We are emotionally attached to the car but it still doesnt get round the fuel consumption. We're very conflicted.
Over and out from me
M

Post by M »

Convert your GTi to diesel.

There I have said it now. :twisted:
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

We looked into doing this ages ago but its just not worth it unless we went for the turbo diesel and Doc put me off that.
Over and out from me
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Unless you do loads of mileage in the Gti, i would forget about how many mpg it does as its still cheap anyway :D.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Does it have to be an auto mate? If so, then you'd get your money back loadsa times on the GTi...even after a rebuild vs a more modern motor when considering the depreciation....in that light then stick with it and rebuild or replace with a good unit.

If a manual is ok then 1.7 Td surely or accept a 1.9 auto. Difficult really, you could spend a grand say on a crappy pug 306 td which could last for ages or break down next week. Spend more on a more recent motor and you lose the depreciation.....blaa blaa. Personally, I'd rather stick with a car I love and accept it's short comings than live with a euro box with the personality of a Labour PC politician...I a love my TD more than the 16v (not sure why...) and the Xantia would be the first to go...even tho it is in theory a 'better' car...gawd Doc will kill me... :oops: ..personal choice mate....you know the answer really :wink:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Yup has to be a auto, I do think that you could get more MPG out of the Gti with a rebuilt lump in it, if you get nearer 30mpg thats not bad at all, plus if you shell out £500 to get a half decent diesel auto you will need to do ALOT of miles to recoup the initial outlay, and as mentioned then you have to do the usual recon bits as I know you would do to any car you have bought.

Keep the Gti and fix it, you can borrow one of my cars gratis if you get stuck without a car, the TXS is a auto as you know so if you get stuck you can use it as long as you keep it shiney! :D
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

A generous offer Tim =D> Nice one....
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

No worries, but woe betides it comes back as mucky as Mr Fearns car normally do :wink:
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

If you really have to have an auto BX:

Buy a ZX or 405 1.9TD auto.

Lift engine and box out.

Place in BX.

Jobbed. I expect Doc will point out a flaw with the plan, but with my limited knowledge, its the way forward for me. Although personally, I'd sort the engine out on your current car and keep driving it. Economy is over rated I've just decided!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Not a bad plan at all Kitch. It's almost fairly straightforward, just some modding of the quadrant and cable / hoses required.

I really would keep it as a GTi though. The fuel consumption is bad I'd have said, even for an auto, unless Ian's missus drives it like Michael Shumacher??!! :lol:

A well built and decent engine I should have thought would return mid thirties at least if driven with a steady foot untill you get into top gear, in which case the difference between manual and auto is negligable due to the wonderous lock up on ZF units...

Personally I'd rebuild the engine in the car, then you know what you've got, and you know it's done right.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Kitch wrote:.....Buy a ZX or 405 1.9TD auto......
Minor, teeny-tiny itty-bitty teensy-weensy little problem with that:

Neither car existed.

To my knowledge, the 1.9TD never came from factory with an autobox. The 405 was never even available as a diesel auto, and I think the ZX diesel auto sold about 2 examples.

What you could do instead is grab the auto-box from a 2.1TD XM, and fit it to a 17/19 TD engine in a BX. Given the reduction in power that it would be handling (drop from 110 to 88/92 hp) it's weaknesses will probably become irrelevant.

Or leave the XUD11 engine from the XM on it, and have a 2.1TD 110hp TD auto BX. That would move rather well... almost as well as the GTI auto.
this might be a signature
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

MULLEY wrote:Unless you do loads of mileage in the Gti, i would forget about how many mpg it does as its still cheap anyway :D.
My feelings exactly. Considering the cost of the car compared with a more 'modern example' (with it's associated depreciation and parts costs etc), it's a small price to pay. OK you might end up spending a few hundred more per year but it's spread over the year... and besides, you like the car. You'll easily spend more than that few hundred on other things you enjoy and not worry. After all a weekend away doesn't have any re-sale value :lol:

Go on Ian. You know you want to....
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v