BX Options

Anything about BXs
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I think i'd like to put a rebuilt engine into it.

As this engine is already on its 3rd rebuild i think its time for another lump.

So then boys whats the best course of action to get a good engine?
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Doc? Seriously I think he has one, it'd be worth asking at least. Failing that look out for a spares/repairs BX for sale, that way (hopefully) you could try the engine out first.

*Better still buy a 205GTi for the engine and get your own back on the Puggers!
Vauxhall apologist.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

DavidRutherford wrote:Minor, teeny-tiny itty-bitty teensy-weensy little problem with that:

Neither car existed.

To my knowledge, the 1.9TD never came from factory with an autobox. The 405 was never even available as a diesel auto, and I think the ZX diesel auto sold about 2 examples.

What you could do instead is grab the auto-box from a 2.1TD XM, and fit it to a 17/19 TD engine in a BX. Given the reduction in power that it would be handling (drop from 110 to 88/92 hp) it's weaknesses will probably become irrelevant.

Or leave the XUD11 engine from the XM on it, and have a 2.1TD 110hp TD auto BX. That would move rather well... almost as well as the GTI auto.
?? I've seen a ZX TD Volcane Auto, it lived in Gloucester and was often parked next to my XM! I assumed it was factory? It certainly looked like everything was as it should be..

Trying to fit an XM auto into a BX would have some issues, the mount and physically getting it in the hole being two!
I still say the XM 'box gets a bad press and it's actually a very good 'box. But so is the stock BX box.....

You're not wrong Billy. I do indeed have a 8V GTi engine in stick (and unlike a certain Ebayer you dont have to remove it yourself! :lol: )

It was rebuilt about 20k miles before the car was decimated by a dustcart (and I do mean DESTROYED!)
It's been sat (undercover) for 4 years. Personally I'd rebuild it again before fitting it, since it's been stood, but it's here (well sort of, it;s in Bristol anyway!) if Ian wants it.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Cheers Doc.

Looks like i may have to buy an engine crane....

What parts would I need to rebuild it (again?)....??
Over and out from me
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Well, again, I'm talking personally here, it may go fine as is, probably will actually, but if I were going to fit it, I'd do the following:

Pull the head, and re-lap the valves. They've done little mileage, but they've been sat up for a long time.

I'd re-ring the pistons. I suspect they may have stuck up by now, I cant say I've turned it over at any regular interval..

I'd wham a set of mains and big end shells in it, and maybe replace the oil pump, I know that wasn't replaced before.

Oh, and I'd replace the liner seals, easy to do and cheap!

Other than that, seals and gaskets...

Again though, that is what I would do, and I'm known for being stoopidly anal about engine rebuilds....

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

docchevron1472 wrote:Again though, that is what I would do, and I'm known for being stoopidly anal about engine rebuilds....
BUT do they work afterwards? If so then i'll follow your advice!
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

You don't need to buy an engine crane at all Ian. Vanny's currently borrowing mine and you're more than welcome to borrow it when he's finished with it.
Vauxhall apologist.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Ian_Fearn wrote: BUT do they work afterwards? If so then i'll follow your advice!
Never built a duffer yet mate, anything from single pot two strokes to 14 litre commercial diesels.. :wink:

Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Do you have any time i can book?
Over and out from me
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Er, probably not for a couple of months TBH mate. Things are stooopid busy, although if a slot opens up I'll let ya know!

Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Anytime my friend!

I'm in no rush either. Am hoping that something may pop up this weekend at the CCC rally.
Over and out from me
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

DavidRutherford wrote:
Kitch wrote:.....Buy a ZX or 405 1.9TD auto......
Minor, teeny-tiny itty-bitty teensy-weensy little problem with that:

Neither car existed.

To my knowledge, the 1.9TD never came from factory with an autobox. The 405 was never even available as a diesel auto, and I think the ZX diesel auto sold about 2 examples.

What you could do instead is grab the auto-box from a 2.1TD XM, and fit it to a 17/19 TD engine in a BX. Given the reduction in power that it would be handling (drop from 110 to 88/92 hp) it's weaknesses will probably become irrelevant.

Or leave the XUD11 engine from the XM on it, and have a 2.1TD 110hp TD auto BX. That would move rather well... almost as well as the GTI auto.
I can't speak for certain on the 405, because I don't know alot about them. But the ZX TD Auto was definately a factory car. It came in Avantage, Aura and Volcane specs.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think the last appearance of the 1905cc TD engine was in the Xantia Auto - after the HDi's had appeared.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Hhmm. Never seen a factory 19TD auto, although I've heard mention of them before...

Is this another 19TD BX conspiracy??

Ian, I'll be in touch mate.

cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Interesting because I thought there had been a recent thread where people said Citroen never made a 1.9TD auto?
As it would appear that they now did can't the ZX TD box be used in a BX to make a 1.9TD? Could be useful to Ian if it could I'd imagine.
Vauxhall apologist.