Red BX14 wanted....I think!

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
mountainmanUK

Red BX14 wanted....I think!

Post by mountainmanUK »

Good evening, you fine bunch of BXers!

After some thought about my need for another "project", now Monica has won another 12 months MOT and therefore become my daily driver, my mind has been wandering back around 10 years, to my first BX.
That was a basic BX14, in beautiful red (not pink). It's the one in my avatar!
It was my pride and joy for over 3 years, until I blew the gearbox up in the Lake District! It was never quite the same after, as I wasn't up to simply swapping the box, so I sold her for a mere £160 to my local Chinese takeaway owner, who 2 weeks later totalled the car in a head-on smash!

I have now decided that I would like another 1400 petrol-engined BX, for as small a price as I can manage. :wink:

I know there are a couple of REALLY nice models for sale at the moment (especially Norseneds Olympic Blue one...luvverly! :D ), but what I'm really looking for is a "project" car that may be in need of some TLC. Ideally I would like one with decent bodywork, with NO welding required. Mechanical work needed isn't really much of a problem, although I would like to be able to drive it home if at all possible!

One more thing......I think I would like another RED model!

Not asking for much, am I?

I'm prepared to pay up to around £200 for the right car!

PM me if you know of anything that might be of interest to me! :wink:

Note: 1400 wanted for the lower Tax bracket, so no 16s or 19s please!

Cheers chaps! Something to think about for a day or two, eh?

Dave
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Most BX's you buy are going to need work so why not buy a decent one and aquaint yourself with BX mechanics by doing things like rear arm bearings, LHM changes, checking hydraulic pipes etc etc???

Also get plenty of waxoyl on it.
Over and out from me
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

I'm already reasonably well acquainted with the dirty, oily bits of a BX, Ian! :D Since my first one, I've owned 3 others on which I've done all my own rehabilitation work, including full engine/box swaps!! In fact I'll be changing Monica's box in a couple of weeks time, and changing the clutch and octopus, plus timing belt at the same time. Any car I buy, the first thing I always do, without fail, is to completely strip down the brakes. The only person I trust to carry out work on my braking system is myself!! (There's a story there, for another time!)

I don't really want a "rolling restoration" this time, and if I got a decent one to begin with, it would be too hard to NOT use it!! :wink:

I have had a VERY hard time convincing my wife that I need to have a car in my garden which is being "nursed" back to health, but she has finally agreed that an old petrol BX might be OK, as my "spares pile" wouldn't need to be too large!

As always, initial outlay, financially, is my main problem. That's another reason for wanting one in need of work, possibly from someone who hasn't the time, money, or inclination, to do it themselves.
The only job I'm unable (or unwilling!) to do myself is welding, as I cannot afford the cost of equipment. This is really a spare-time hobby for me, and I can't really justify spending too much. There are other more important demands on my "just above National Minimum Wage" than spending every penny on a hobby!

Cheers
Dave
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I'd keep looking on eBay Dave, one will turn up. What is the realistic average mpg figure for the 1.4? The reason I ask is because if you got a 1.7 or a 1.9 n/a diesel the extra economy may make up for the road tax?
Vauxhall apologist.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Good point there Billy, but as I've already got a 17TD, to have a petrol would give me an 'alternative'!
Regarding economy, my earlier 14s (I've had 2) both returned around 34-38 mpg on a run, with a combined figure of more like 27-30. As usual, it all depends on how heavy your right boot is!! :wink: I've never really been one for screaming away from traffic lights, with tyres squealing and smoking. I leave that to the boyracers and 16v owners!!! :D

I agree that eBay is probably my best bet, but I thought that mentioning it on here might turn up something. There have been quite a few cars coming out of the woodwork recently, even Mk1s that were somewhat unkown to the majority!

cheers
Dave
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Asides you car I cant remember seeing a red 14E at anytime.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

mountainmanUK wrote:Good point there Billy, but as I've already got a 17TD, to have a petrol would give me an 'alternative'!
Regarding economy, my earlier 14s (I've had 2) both returned around 34-38 mpg on a run, with a combined figure of more like 27-30. As usual, it all depends on how heavy your right boot is!! :wink: I've never really been one for screaming away from traffic lights, with tyres squealing and smoking. I leave that to the boyracers and 16v owners!!! :D

I agree that eBay is probably my best bet, but I thought that mentioning it on here might turn up something. There have been quite a few cars coming out of the woodwork recently, even Mk1s that were somewhat unkown to the majority!

cheers
Dave
Agreed mate, always worth mentioning it on various forums, you never know what might turn up.
I'll keep my ears to the ground and report back if I hear of owt. Have you tried the FCF? Might be worth placing a wanted advert on there, ditto 'want it now' on eBay.
Vauxhall apologist.