SCRAP YOUR BX AND GET £1000!

Anything about BXs
tim leech

SCRAP YOUR BX AND GET £1000!

Post by tim leech »

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/carandvans ... ferId=3006

Sales gimmick to make you buy a new car if ever Ive heard one!

I would negotitae hard, get the £1000 off and keep my BX for when the New car breaks down! :D
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Gimmick indeed but the day this becomes law probably isn't that far away. It's already happening elsewhere (though can't recall where exactly) and will be the end of old cars as we know them if we're not careful.
The govornment will back (and fund) the scheme and the manafacturers will be laughing all the way to the bank.
It's daft to be sending old cars in part ex against new/newer cars anyway imho.
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The French tried it in the late 80's or early 90's - and were stopped by the EEC who saw it as a backdoor subsidy to their motor manufacturers - and against their rules.

Its just a sales gimmick - manufacturers have strange ways of accounting but one of their largest expenses is labour - and so if you cost for 80% production - and achieve 100% - the labour is free - and you can dump your product!

Its inventive bookeeping and financial wizardry that created this country's wealth in the 18th century and we've stayed good at it and its doing very well for us now.
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: SCRAP YOUR BX AND GET £1000!

Post by Way2go »

tim leech wrote:Sales gimmick to make you buy a new car if ever Ive heard one!

I would negotitae hard, get the £1000 off and keep my BX for when the New car breaks down! :D
Reading this it looks as if you get £1250 'cos you are trading it in and the £1000 is extra for giving permission to scrap it!

Clearly the £1000 for permission to scrap is a gimmick because in trading it in it surely anyway becomes their property to do with what they want without your permission.

Schemes & scams eh?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Definatly but theres a heck of alot of people out that will fall for it, its back to the old saying NOTHING IN LIFE IS FREE. The money comes from somwhere.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The nice thing about the old car tax was that as it was calculated on the factory gate price you could work out the dealer's mark up and tell him it was excessive. 17% on Vauxhalls I seem to remember with 10% on the cheapest versions of the Nova Merit.

So there's where part of your £1000 comes from - bit of finance commission and the weigh-in value of the scrap and you're getting there.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

jeremy wrote:The nice thing about the old car tax was that as it was calculated on the factory gate price you could work out the dealer's mark up and tell him it was excessive. 17% on Vauxhalls I seem to remember with 10% on the cheapest versions of the Nova Merit.

So there's where part of your £1000 comes from - bit of finance commission and the weigh-in value of the scrap and you're getting there.
It's likely more to do with the economies of scale. If the factories are working below capacity then their fixed costs (which are enormous) do not increase with greater output. If the fish bite, then there are more cars to divide into these fixed costs which brings down the actual cost of manufacture per car.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

The sort of motorist who'll fall for that sort of scam is type of guy who trades his car in every few years anyway .......nobody with half a brain takes what the dealer offers as a trade in .....youre better off selling the car privately [there's always some-one who wants a cheap banger] ..........and then going to the dealers with a wad of cash in your hand. If the dealer is offering £1000 off the price with a "trade in" ........offer him a £1000 less than the rrp without the trade in .......wave the wad of cash under his nose,let him smell those £20 notes and if he does'nt start talking sense walk away .....they soon change their mind ...... :twisted:
If they dont,then take yer money elsewhere :twisted: :P
:twisted: Car Salesmen :?: :?: :?: :?: Modern Day Horse Theives more like :twisted: :P
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Trust me terry the days of sheepskin coats and putting sawdust into rear axles to quieten them down is well and truely dead, everythings regulated, watched and I dont know of one motor manufacturer that doesnt follow up cusomers after delivery to make sure they were treated fairly, also a very high percentage of the public are well informed, tow hat things cost and what they can borrow etc for how much probably thanks to the internet.

Yes there is rogues in all corners of business, normally builders if you watch them TV programmes, and I do feel there is a bit of a misconception about the motor trade, but people still prefer to buy from people when its alot of money hence wh the likes of "jamcar" and "virgincars" foundered after a year or so.

Yes Im bias but everyone I dont care who you are overvalues there, purely because its yours, or that youve seen one the same for sale at the same price, but again thats selling at not buying, Tescos dont sell there goods for the same money as they pay for them, and nor would you go in haggle over the price of anything in their shop :wink: , we all have to make a profit, so we can pay our wages and keep roofs over our heads, where its cars, cans of beans, supplying gas etc, its just a case of negotiating a deal that suits everyone.

And yes I do sell cars for a living, but I sleep soundly in my bed as believe it or not I am honest.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

tim leech wrote:And yes I do sell cars for a living, but I sleep soundly in my bed as believe it or not I am honest.
Never trust anyone who tells you they're honest!!!! :D
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I'm sure main delaers are probably all honest now when it comes to new cars (except the bit where they tell you puke beige is the in colour and that they've sold 850 new cars in 7 minutes) but the dodgy car dealer is far from dead. These types, it must be said, are usually the back street bodge artist types and there's certainly more than one about.
I'd agree with a lot of your analagy about car dealers Tim and like evryone else they do have to make a living.
The people that do my head in are the ones that say they've been ripped off by a dealer/trader and when you ask them why they say they paid over the odds for a vehicle.
I'd call that tough shit and stupidity tbh, anyone who hasn't the common sense to check the market value/average price of what they are buying first is completely insane imho.
Vauxhall apologist.
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

Hello Tim .........its a fact that dealers offer about 70% of the price on a "trade in" of the price they're gonna ask for the car when its on the forecourt a week later :wink:
Now if I had a car which would cost around £3000 from a dealer.....why would I let it go for £2200 when I could prob'ly get about £1700 for it privately .......coupled with the fact that the said dealer is gonna charge me £7000 for a new car .....by waving £20 notes under his nose,and telling him its a cash sale [No,I dont want your bl**dy finance :P :wink: ]
he's gonna listen,and offer a discount,or throw in a load of extras ........if he does'nt listen,I'll take my cash elsewhere [I do the "homework" .........I find out what the "oposition" are offering]
I tell him I can get a better deal elsewhere.
I tell him I could let him that I have the cash,there,then,now,all hes gotta do is give me a good deal ..........it's then amazing how the salesperson's tune alters.
He'll knock £500 off the price and throw a load of extras in...[meanwhile,I'm £500 in pocket over what he originally offered me as a trade in]
You're right,I would'nt haggle in Tescos over a can of beans,but a car is different ...........and I have to work for my money,and keep a roof over my head ...........so I'll haggle and argue.

btw :wink: .......the prices are aproximately correct for a 4 & 1/2 year old Matiz,against a new Matiz [check your book prices] .......it was'nt me who bought the car,it was my wife,I pushed the deal for her .......tbh,I'd never buy a new car ..........[Oh,and "my money", I dont work for it, I'm retired] :wink:

Terry
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I remember trying to explain to a mate many years back that he didn't in fact get £700 for his old car against one he bought from a dealer. Turned out the dealer would knock £500 off for no part-ex anyhow (and probably more if he'd pushed it) so in reality he actually only got £200 at best for it. He couldn't understand and in the end I gave up trying.
Why do people think they've had a great deal when chopping an old banger in for seemingly good money when the same car they gave in the deal will end up at an auction with no reserve?
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

The old "cash discount" is a mith, moneys money, wether it comes from black horse finance in a cheque or from Mr Joe Bloggs in pound notes so it wont get you anywhere.

As for trade ins yes you can get a better deal sometimes without one if its a car thats not retailable, we rely on a good cars traded in for a our used car stock, which of course we make omeny on so are happy to take them in andpay decent money for decent motors, and most of the genera l public cant be bothered with the hassle of selling a car themselves so it is a convenience, so its a public service we offer you see :D
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

"The old "cash discount" is a mith, moneys money, wether it comes from black horse finance in a cheque or from Mr Joe Bloggs in pound notes so it wont get you anywhere."

Probably for a new car Tim but certainly not for a used one. Having said that playing dealers off against each other still works, especially if part-exchanging.
However recent local cases have seen people I know scoring some great results by telling dealer A that dealer B has offered them a better deal without part exchange so it must still work.

*Edit people I've talked to that work at dealers tell me they love finance because they or their company get a cut of that too.
Vauxhall apologist.