Charlotte's first BX - 14 RE 1988

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Charlotte
BXpert

Charlotte's first BX - 14 RE 1988

Post by Charlotte »

My first car - and I love it so very much!

When I first discovered the tatty BX down the side of the garage:

Phil GAVE me the car after I developed an unhealthy obsession with it. "I can't take any money off you for it, it's such a dog! Why not have that ZX?" Since then I have done LOADS to it; radius arms, speedo cable, cam belt, handbrake cable, new sunroof, and a load of other stuff I can't remember! It just got it's MOT and now I have to tax it. It's also had the nasty granny interior taken out and replaced with donor items from a scrapped meteor (there were wee stains on the back seat...)

Fun and games with Oscar's BX:

Remy admitting that it's "not bad, actually":

Today it's having all it's rust-prone hydraulic cables waxoyled, and a few days ago it had it's a-pillar welded after Oscar noticed a nasty hole :-( all better now, though!

I love my BX - hope this isn't too many photos :-D
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

My first car was a 14RE too, F reg in Ivory :D

They're full of character, nice choice.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Charlotte
BXpert

Post by Charlotte »

I'm currently deliberating whether or not to fit alloys - I have heard arguments for and against. They're original BX ones and freebies - what is the general opinion here?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I would have thought the only downside would be the risk that the steering would get heavier. I have never driven a 1.4 so don't know how heavy they are - or for that matter how strong you are!.

Steering weight can be influenced by tyre size, wear - they always seem much heavier when worn, and sitting position - if you sit well back it won't help as well as tyre pressure.

I'd have said if you are happy with the weight and don't find it a problem then the silver (graphite are wider) wheels would be good - but go for a reasonable rather than extreme tyre size. (Make sure you get the special wheel bolts - they can be expensive)

Can you borrow some similar wheels and try them? If you put ones that have been on the back - on the front you may find the steering feels strange to begin with as they will tend to make the car wander. This will settle down as the shoulders wear off.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Charlotte wrote: I'm currently deliberating whether or not to fit alloys - I have heard arguments for and against.
Yes, fit alloys, they look great on any BX. Ignore anyone that speaks against the new found status alloys will give you!

Always remember this simple equation:
Alloys = Choice of Champions! Your friends will admire you, and you'll get admiring glances from anyone you meet.

Steels = bland boringness. Your social life will decline and a life ina monestary will be your only option.

In short. Get them alloys on!

Oh, welcome by the way!!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Welcome aboard Charlotte, lovely car that, do bear in mind that alloys do have wider tyres and a 14RE doesnt have power steering so may be a bit heavy.

Same colour as my dads 87 19RD (chantelle) which we did ALOT of many happy miles in! :D
Charlotte
BXpert

Post by Charlotte »

I'm actually finding the steering quite light! Phil told me that it would be heavy and I should have that ZX instead, but I really don't notice this "heavy steering".

I think I will go for these alloys, but only when the tyres on my steels start going. That seems like a sensible compromise to me!

Now I just need to resist the temptation to buy a 16v body kit... I know it would be tragic on a 14 but they look sooo nice!

Thanks for all your help, guys, and it would have to be a nunnery - I'm a girl! :lol:
Bride of Stinkwheel
http://weaselsemark.carbonmade.com

Citroen BX St Tropez
Still not over H592 AGW "Hugo" TZD Turbo
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

I fitted 205 GTi 1.6 alloys to my 14RE and there was no difference in the steering at all. The brand of tyre affects the weight of the steering far more than the width IMO.

Roadholding and grip are definately improved though, and the whole car is more stable in general.

Which alloys have you got for it?

mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Now I just need to resist the temptation to buy a 16v body kit... I know it would be tragic on a 14 but they look sooo nice!
best way to satisfy that particular urge is to.....buy a 16v! :wink:
and it would have to be a nunnery - I'm a girl!
A nunnery would be a real waste! Girls are like BXs.....meant to be used every day!! :wink:

btw.....WELCOME Charlotte! ^^bx>

Dave
Charlotte
BXpert

Post by Charlotte »

I'm actually yet to pass my test - I got my BX before I'd even had any lessons! Infact, the BX is the reason I'm getting lessons! Remy lets me pootle about with him on the industrial estate.

I have actually been offered a black TZD H reg, which is difficult to refuse as I am a die-hard Goth that spends every weekend at Slimelight and the Electric Ballroom, a car nicknamed "The Batmobile" would fit my style perfectly - but it's not MGU. I'm totally in love with my car. When Oscar spotted the rust-hole in the a-pillar I ran into the office with near-hyterics.

The alloys I have are the same as Oscar's, original BX ones.
Bride of Stinkwheel
http://weaselsemark.carbonmade.com

Citroen BX St Tropez
Still not over H592 AGW "Hugo" TZD Turbo
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

I think Oscar's got GTi ones, although they might be ph1 16v. Didn't look at them long enough :lol:

cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

docchevron1472 wrote:
Charlotte wrote: I'm currently deliberating whether or not to fit alloys - I have heard arguments for and against.
Yes, fit alloys, they look great on any BX. Ignore anyone that speaks against the new found status alloys will give you!

Always remember this simple equation:
Alloys = Choice of Champions! Your friends will admire you, and you'll get admiring glances from anyone you meet.

Steels = bland boringness. Your social life will decline and a life ina monestary will be your only option.

In short. Get them alloys on!

Oh, welcome by the way!!
Totally what he said. Wheeltrims are mostly the preserve of the anorak and certainly for the lose!
Welcome along from me too, my little princess shares the same name as you.
Vauxhall apologist.
M

Post by M »

cavmad wrote:
docchevron1472 wrote: Steels = bland boringness. Your social life will decline and a life ina monestary will be your only option.
Wheeltrims are mostly the preserve of the anorak and certainly for the lose!
That will be me then! (and Tim).

Welcome aboard Charlotte. You know what your BX really needs for ultra reliability? A couple of BX Club window stickers, and funnily enough I happen to have a couple....... :roll:
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Marty can you send me one for the TXS so it can break down. :wink:
M

Post by M »

tim leech wrote:Marty can you send me one for the TXS so it can break down. :wink:
Yeah, no worries, did the flag ever show up?