RTA :(

Anything about BXs
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

No offence taken Tel! Thanks again for the thought.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

AndersDK wrote:
jeremy wrote:If you have a whiplash injury make sure you investigate the question of arthritis is later life. This sounds morbid - but I've an arthritic neck which is probably the result of an injury or two many years ago and means that I can't turn my head properly.

Chiropractors seem well up on this subject - and some internet research may help as well. If arthritic changes are likely your damages for the whiplash should be more than nominal.
I was about to say exactly the same.
Damages from such incidents have a very nasty tendency to show up later in your life, pushing you into hell of pains.

All my best to you and K.

Sadly im a testament to that, I had a nasty rear end shunt in late 1993, so much so that the tank of a Audi 100 ( I was stationary)I was driving was written off, the roof was even bent, the Mk1 Golf Caddy that hit me had a new wing, lights and bumper and is still going to this day! I wore a collar for a week and afterwards all seemed well, however a good few years later I noticed frequent neck pains, especially in cold weather, turns out that some vertibre was possibly damaged at the time, and there naff all I can do about it. I cant put a claim in as its so long ago.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Tim wrote:I wore a collar for a week and afterwards all seemed well
Amazing how things change.

We were examined and when the docs decided that it was all muscular with no broken bones we were told not to wear collars but exercise as much as possible.

Exactly the same when I sprained my ankle last month! I'd bought a tubigrip and put it on, as advised in my own out-of-date first aid training, but the doc told me to throw it away and walk as far as I could.

Joints are funny things though and as Tim and Jeremy say this does not rule out the possibility of problems later in life.

I've already got an inherited bad back; I don't want to make it worse for any reason.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The point is that at the moment there is nothing they can do about it - but you might as well investigate compensation - especially as the circumstances are clear cut.

The future may not be that bleak - with luck stem cells will come to the rescue but not quite yet.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Sorry to hear this happened Stu :( Good luck in sorting it all out.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Commiserations. I hope you both recover quickly and have no lasting problems. Good luck with getting the car sorted!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Blimey, thats a total pisser mate.
However, as I've said before, cars are replaceable people are not.
Agree with everything said here, I'm not into these ambulance chasing ba$tards at all, but in this case, I'd screw the tosser that hit you for everything you can get.

If it's any consolation, I got hit up the arse by some pleb in a Rover 600 a few years back, I was stationary at lights in the red BX at the time. Handbrake applied. The prick in the Rover was using a laptop (worked for the MoD so apparently thats ok) and never hit the brakes. The car was pushed 72feet down the road. My mother was in the car at the time, and she didn't grasp what had happened till after.
Neither of us were hurt, the pleb in the Rover apolagised and said "my boss will kill me, I've only just got the car back from the last prang I had"...
Anyhow, to cut a long story short, the insurance company wrote my car off and tried to take it away! I told them where they could shove their truck that arrived to remove my car, and myself and my dad did some hacking and welding over two weeks and it was good as new, and it's still going!

Without any doubt at all they WILL write your car off, a blown buln will kill a BX off to an insurance assesor these days.
But it will be fixable.
If theres anything I can do, let me know.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

72 feet! Bloody hell Doc!

I know how your mum felt - I had a second of total incomprehension when we were going sideways when I just had no idea what was going on.

I've finally spoken to my insurance company - sounds like they've been having a busy day. The engineer will go and have a look and we'll see what happens then.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Stu, I'm gutted for you :( How are you feeling now? Please give our best wishes to K for a speedy recovery. It sounds like the other driver had a complete loss of concentration - changing a CD or fiddling with his radio or something. I assume you showed him the brakelights were working - strange how he tried to tell a fib, the bugger - and what about the bloody indicator anyway?? :evil: What was his story after that? He must have been going pretty fast not to have been able to react in time to that extent...

I was involved in a smash a couple of years back: a dark, wet winter evening near Woking... my friend was driving us back from a music rehearsal. Around a bend a car appeared, flashing its main beam lights - rapidly being approached from behind by a fire engine with blue lights and sirens, obviously in a great hurry. My friend slowed to allow the fire engine space to overtake the car..... and we were smacked up the back by white van man, who didn't even see us brake. He was, in my opinion, mesmerised by the blue flashing lights. My friend got bad whiplash and was checked out at A&E; I got a cut shin (from the glovebox door flying open) and mild whiplash and a headache from where the back of my head bashed against the headrest - but I didn't get checked out....

The car (MK3 Fiesta) was written off (boot floor buckled, etc), and my friend bought a new car with the insurance money. She also later got a substantial sum in compensation for her whiplash (which she had therapy for) - which made me wish I'd got checked out too - because some weeks later I started getting neck pains and "pins and needles" that lingered for some while.

Best of luck, and I hope the insurance people aren't going to be difficult about the car. Fingers firmly crossed!

Mark.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

mnde wrote: It sounds like the other driver had a complete loss of concentration - changing a CD or fiddling with his radio or something.
That's exactly what I thought - he must have had his eyes off the road for a good 30-45 seconds. He'd seen us and started to slow - but only just.
mnde wrote:I assume you showed him the brakelights were working - strange how he tried to tell a fib, the bugger - and what about the bloody indicator anyway??
We certainly did - that line didn't last long. K wasn't surprised - she says peoples' first reaction is always to lie if they know it's their fault.

You really should have got yourself checked out after your smash! The ambulance driver and the doctor who saw us at A&E both told us that they always want to see neck injuries.

I'm not so bad today - the muscles and tendons in my neck are swollen and sore, but I'm not in pain. I'm also stiffening up nicely down my right-hand side where I was flung against the door and the B-pillar.

My boss insisted I take the day off work, but K went to work today. She drove, so I guess her neck isn't too bad either.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Did you take alook at the boot floor etc, check the shutlines on the rear doors and see if teh sunroof is still lined up, a easy give away for a kinked roof.
Charlotte
BXpert

Post by Charlotte »

We have tailgates, bumpers, rear light clusters... if you need anything let us know. Best of luck and love from all the BXs here!
Bride of Stinkwheel
http://weaselsemark.carbonmade.com

Citroen BX St Tropez
Still not over H592 AGW "Hugo" TZD Turbo
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Sounds nasty that, glad u r both relatively ok & hope that your car gets sorted out.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

What can I say that hasn't already been said.... Best wishes to you and K for a speedy recovery, and I'm glad your injuries aren't serious.

On the insurance front......

Because the fault lies clearly with the other driver, their insurance company will pay out to you. What they cannot do is take the car off you, as they have no legal claim to it. Yes, they will have to pay out the market value of the car as it will almost undoubtedly be written off, but because they have no contract with you, they have no legal claim to the vehicle. In essence, you get the payout, and keep the car.

They will undoubtedly offer to "collect the scrap" or insist that "as we've written it off, we must collect it" but this is all waffle.

Hit them for everything. Not only medical costs (if you have any), but you are perfectly entitled to claim for both a hire car, and for storage of the damaged car at your friends place for the time period between the crash and their pay out.

Also.... don't EVER accept their first offer. They'll probably make a pathetic offer of about £300 to begin with. Tell them to go hang. Push for £1000. When a friend had his land-rover driven in to at university many years ago, the other person's insurance company were being utter bastards about the valuation. We went from an initial offer of £400 to a final pay-out of £1550.
this might be a signature
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

/\

Is right. Direct Liars offered me next to nothing for my Calibra when it got written off but my solicitor soon sorted that out for me. Quite possibly worth having some sort of 'official' Citroen club person to independantly value the car and state what they believed it was wroth pre-accident. Also worth sniffing out some similar ones for sale as proof of the real value.
Vauxhall apologist.