Really, what IS the best colour for a BX?...

Anything about BXs
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I've sat back and said little because I've seen this debate on colour before and always it seems the two different worlds we live in gives us two opposing views and I'm well outnumbered.
Dark cars might look great to you guys, but if you ever move this way, change your ideas real quick if you intend surviving. I have a midnight blue Xantia as well as the BXs and when the dash thermometer is showing between 35 and 45 the last place you want to be is inside a dark car in the tropics.
Out in the sun with the air/con going flat chat, you can still feel the heat burning through the roof and as soon as you switch off, you have about 30 seconds to get the windows down before it gets suffocatingly hot.
Dirt roads even in the vicinity will leave a dark car so grotty that you can write your name in the dust within a second, so for appearance, I agree dark colour, but for practical use, the old hearing aid beige (as most GSs out here were) for comfort in summer, white.
Irredescents I reckon look the best, but again the sun rips the clear coat off them almost while you look at it. (Which is why I'm presently working all hours trying to touch up the paint on the BX Estate).
Anybody still wanting a black car I'd suggest bring it over and try this on for size.

Alan S :lol:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

That grey could look quite fetching after all!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Strikes me that out there you need a car in highly reflective super-shiny metallic silver to try and reflect some of the heat. That, and grey/silver cars never seem to look too bad when dirty.

Or, just let the car get filthy and not care!
this might be a signature
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

i know what yoiu are saying about dark colours and heat alan, when i was in saudi we had a whie nissan patrol and a dark blue Chevy caprice classic! haha! the one day i distinctively remember was in the summer, 54 degrees C and we needed to go into town! shirt stuck to your back with in 50 yards of the appartment! and the car even though it was parked under cover was too hot to get in!
that said, the patrol wasnt much better!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I think I'd take the scorching hot Aussie weather in preference to snow, salt, rust holes and siezed up bolts :)
Although having never experienced such weather, maybe it's just a case of the grass is greener (browner?) etc... :?
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

The following image, while it may offend younger listeners, is clearly and by far the BEST colour for a car EVER!!

More importantly, with a body coloured towing bracket AND TOWING BALL, you need never ever worry about the tw@ in the BMW/Passat/AUDI again, how i yern to have my towbumper back again!

cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Do Irecognise that car Vanny? And if it`s not my dearly lamented TGD hatch how is it going anyhow? You`ve no idea how much I miss that car :cry:
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Nope you dont recognise that one, that one got crushed nearly three years ago! Its my old F-reg 19rd, the trusty load lugger that just had too much wrong with it to spend any more time on!

As for yours, well its coming for a ruddy good service and sort out tomorrow! Its got lots of bits snapped on it, time to get them all sorted, and new struts as kindly provided from this here forum!