Photo or diagram required.

BX Tech talk
AlanS
BXpert

Photo or diagram required.

Post by AlanS »

Does anyone have a diagram or pics of the gallies in a ZF 4HP14 transmission valve block?

Got one in bits and a couple of yellow plastic balls fell out of one side and a larger one out the 'tother.
They obviously act as non return valves in sections of the maze of gallies in there, but would feel a lot happier if I was 100% certain where the little buggas came from.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

How quick do you need one Alan?

I have a couple of autoboxes laying around that I could strip the blocks out of and photograph, but the boxes are BURIED! It'll take a day and a half to get to them!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

A couple of days would be no hassle Chris, so long as we don't forget how the bloody thing came apart!! :shock:

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Right you are mate, I'll get on it and post some piccies over the weekend.

Yeah, I know what you mean, although they are simple boxes compared with the commercial stuff ZF make, thats the stuff of headaches!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Problem seems to be from what we've discovered, is that the pistons seem to seize in the valve block.
This then sets up a scenario where you have one gear trying to disengage whilst at the same time, one trying to engage, as a result this causes mechanical issues that kills the gearbox.
Trying to find a diagram on a service manual is impossible, as all they say is if the valve block is faulty..."replace valve block" but if you knew not to pull the bloody face plates off in the first place, it really wouldn't be all that big a drama.
Maybe they never expected these dopey grease monkeys in Oz to start loading them up on the wrong ATF.
It seems that it may be a combination of viscosity, friction enhancers and operating temperatures that causes all these problems, as the majority of what we've pulled down looks like new, but where there are close tolerances, everything is gummed up in this black crap kind of like when Grand ma boils up rhubarb in an aluminium saucepan. :shock:

Alan S
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Alan - look under ZF on this list - subfolder is HP14 - and one of the jpg files might be what you want. It may only be a copy of the service manual - but I don't know.

http://sitruuna.unk.fi/pub/korjausoppaat/
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Jeremy,

Yer a skolar and a gentleman; just what we needed I reckon, so have passed on to the guy working with me on it.

Doc, as you were mate, I think you can take a rest this weekend. ~ale~ This not only tells us where they go, but gives measurements and tell us where NOT to put them. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Thanks again to all.

Alan S
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Splendid stuff. Sorted!
I'll go back to head scratching over a mondeo and getting the TD ready for MOT monday then!

Valves are a bit issueous in ZF's, the tolerances are VERY tight, as you say, a bit of crap in there and it's all bad news.

AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

http://www.jie.com/4hp14/4hp14.htm

contains exploded views
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak