Replacement of rear hydraulic cylinder £200 + VAT

Anything about BXs
Numptychucker
Confirmed BX'er

Replacement of rear hydraulic cylinder £200 + VAT

Post by Numptychucker »

Well its official, i have spend way more than the cars worth just keeping her on the road. All new brake disks and pads was the first expense!
The latest thing after the meteor took a wee on the floor was the rep[lacement of the rear hydraulic brake cylinder!
I have been quoted £100 parts and £100 labour. am i getting ripped off ??????
The problem started when the front low pressure hose blew off. Shuved it back on and topped the reservoir up then the next thing is a stream of LHV pouring out from bahind the back wheel. If the cylinder is replaced will the system be ok or will the next week point go?

Cheers

Nick
go further on veg oil
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Sre you talking of replacing the rear brake caliper or the suspension cylinder.

Both are very reliable. The rear suspension cylinders can corrode through.
Numptychucker
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Numptychucker »

suspension cylinder!
go further on veg oil
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I don't want to be a prophet of doom but one of my rear suspension cylinders corroded through, so I ordered both as I figured they would both be similarly corroded. One arrived - I changed it but the other one failed within a couple of days, while I was still waiting for the new one to arrive!

BTW - £100 sounds right for parts, possibly a bit steep for labour depending on your local hourly rate. However the pipes are usually corroded into the cyclinders and one (can't remember which side) was a bugger to thread through...
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

That'll be the offside :evil:
They think it's all over, it is now!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Ah the O/S pipe, happy memories :twisted:

Labour rate seems a bit steep, but in all honesty thats not too horrific.

You could of course use Xantia rear cylinders which are MUCH cheaper, but require a bit of modification to fit.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

docchevron1472 wrote: You could of course use Xantia rear cylinders which are MUCH cheaper, but require a bit of modification to fit.
That's interesting.

They don't sell the sealing joints separately for theBX rear cylinders, so if it packs in, you have to buy a new one. They do sell them separately for the Xantia though. I wonder if any of these joints are interchangeable ?

Apart from that, how heavy are the mods needed to use a Xant strut, Doc ? They are indeed a fair bit cheaper.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I cant honestly remember if the joints are interchangable or not TBH. I seem to recall that the BX joint must be used, but I'll check and let you know for sure.

The only mod required to the cylinder itself is to cut down the stub that the hp pipe union screws into, it stands prouder ont he xantia strut and wont clear the cut out in the spring plate on the BX axle. Takes moments.

I could get rear xantia cylinders for £35 not so long ago (just over a year), so yeah, they are ALOT cheaper!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...