m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

How the f*** do you break a driveplate?

Post by m_2975 »

Hi Gents,

After a long saga with my BX Estate I now have it back.

The story goes a little something like this:

Last July I took the Auto box out of the car and had it reconditioned by a reputable company.

Put it back in the car and filled it as per their instructions and not 5 mins up the road lost drive completely.

They paid to have it towed to them and they did something and gave it back a few days later. It was not very satisfactory. Hard shifts and no reverse when it was hot.

I got fed up and left it for a while, driving it and pushing it when I had to reverse!

Took it back this June and had them work on it. I got the car back last Friday!

They had it for 2 months and when I picked it up it drove like never before. Beautiful.

When I got it home i turned it off and heard a crunch sound. Started the car and another crunch while the starter cranked.

On Saturday I thought that I would investigate.

I put the car up on ramps and took off the flywheel cover.

I nearly threw up all over myself lying under the car.

They had broken all three corners off the drive plate and sheared the heads off the bolts!

For those of you who are unaware of what the drive plate is, it's the triangular thing on this picture.

Here are the photos of the broken plate still in the car.

You can see the edges of the triangular plate that are broken. May take a second to familiarise yourself.

They tried to arc weld it (which was Sh!te)

NOT HAPPY EH?
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

ARC welding??? You cant weld them, they are spring steel.

Looking at that, either the bolts were not done up properly, or they used the wrong bolts without the plastic spacer washers.

I have seen them go like that before, but only when they weren't fitted properly..

Bummer mate, I have a spare flexiplate, but I imagine the postage would be prohibitive, although I guess they're easily available over there??
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
m_2975
BXpert
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Thanks Doc,

I have a brand new one on order now. Not too expensive either.
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
In the Family:
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Which I imagine they are paying for and fitting for free?
m_2975
BXpert
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Tim,
They will be paying for the parts AND the fitting. There's no way i'm letting them fit it. If they can break a drive plate doing a transmission service, can you imagine them taking the transmission out!

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while guys.

I'll make a much bigger effort now that i'm single again (well I've decided that all I need is BX's. LOL)
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
In the Family:
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

m_2975 wrote:I'll make a much bigger effort now that i'm single again (well I've decided that all I need is BX's. LOL)
Steady on chap! Now, we all know that people of the female flavour have moments of madness, but they are handy for cooking / cleaning / keeping you warm at night / er, increasing the carnal score etc...

Have to say though, the last bird I was very casually seeing decided we were going to get married and have kids, and she got pissy cos I spent more time with my fleet of crap than I did with her.

So of course being the modern "in touch with my feminine side" kinda guy that I am, I fired the blonde feak out and spent more time alone with the cars / buses / trucks / ambulance etc.
Then she started stalking me. I kid you not.should have used the coal shovel on her, but she leaves me alone these days thank god.

The salient point here goes thus:
Cars have better bodywork, go all night, are cheaper to run and last longer.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

m_2975 wrote:Tim,
They will be paying for the parts AND the fitting. There's no way i'm letting them fit it. If they can break a drive plate doing a transmission service, can you imagine them taking the transmission out!

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while guys.

I'll make a much bigger effort now that i'm single again (well I've decided that all I need is BX's. LOL)
A man after my own heart! :D