Door Mirror Glass

BX Tech talk
kiwi
Over 2k

Door Mirror Glass

Post by kiwi »

The glass in the Electric Passenger mirror has come unstuck.

I noticed it used to have a sticky back to it, now the question is how would be best to resecure it and what would be best?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I'm sure you can buy thick waterproof double sided tape - even if it comes in patches rather than a roll.

Even non-waterproof will probably last a long time as its shielded - office supplies or stationery shop?
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

You can get double-sided sticky pads specifically designed for fixing domestic mirrors. A few of those should do the job. Just ensure that both the back of the glass and whatever you are sticking it to, are as clean as possible!
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Most number plates are affixed by that means nowadays........Halfrauds sell them in packs of 'thin' and 'thick'.........I bought the thick ones to sort out some trim on my old CX.........worked a treat.
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

mike st gilles wrote:Most number plates are affixed by that means nowadays........Halfrauds sell them in packs of 'thin' and 'thick'.........I bought the thick ones to sort out some trim on my old CX.........worked a treat.
Thanks Mike but our number plates are made of Metal and its a long drive to Halfrauds :lol:

I was thinking along the lines of a mastic sealant in a tube but how dumb of me not to think of mirror pads. Just got to work out where I can get them from.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

you can always get cans of spray glue (usually for sticking carpets down) i've got pleasing results from it before (brand names of 3M and VitaBond are favourites), however i have found that this method fails after a year of hot weather (so i guess about 10 minutes in your neck of the woods).

I have also managed to hold one together with electrical insulation tape as a quick fix, two years and two MOT's ago, the intention is to stick pads on but why fix it if its not broken! (the tape, is wrapped around the plastic plate behind the mirror and round the front of the mirror its self).
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

I fixed it with Carpet tape :lol:

Vanny it aint that warm in my neck of the woods I live 500m above sea level and its temperatures are about the same as Southern England except a few degress warmer in winter.