Dashboard Lights

BX Tech talk
Dave

Dashboard Lights

Post by Dave »

Hi there, I've just bought a Bx 19 TGD Estate (1990) its all great and very happy with it except driving at night, when the lights are on i don't have any lights behind my speedo, rev counter or fuel gague. I do however have all normall warning lights and indicators etc...

Is this likely to be a simple bulb issue or maybe fuse??? I have seen you have advise on how to change the bulbs so have thought i would give this a go this weekend.

Any other thoughts anyone may have you be greatly appreciated.

Hope to hear soon
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Have you tried adjusting the Dimmer Control which is on the underside of the steeringwheel column shroud? May just be a poor connection on this - try rotating it several times in each direction, lights may flicker or it may cure.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Dave

Post by Dave »

I have tried that yes but it doesn't seem to do anything not even to the heater control light which are still on (though very dimly)!!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The instrument lights will all fail at about the same time as I found out when we bought our ZX - with one bulb out - and within the next 3 weeks or so the rest went!

The reason of course is close production tolerances - they are made at the same time to the same spec and operate the same number of times - and so all fail at about the same time.

I am however a little curious about the heater ones - being dim. They're never very bright but should be noticeable - and they are never quite as even as you think they should be which is due to the use of not enough bulbs in the right place.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thanks for that.

I think I will press on then and try and replace the bulbs this weekend and hope that resolves it.

It is acutally as simple to do as the instructions would suggest, not being particually technical I have enlisted the help of my Dad so hopefully we can do it between us!

Thanks
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Get plenty of bulbs - they come out of the plastic holders with difficulty - so if like me you resort to pliers make sure you don't cut yourself. A short length of tube may help in replacing them.

Haynes is quite accurate. I can't remember if it was the BX or the ZX but some bulbs lurked under a cover on the back of a minor instrument.

When replacing the steering wheel make sure you don't bash it down and break the tongue off the indicator cancelling mechanism.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

One tip - if yours has the hex nuts holding the instruments on, replace them with wing nuts as used on later cars, just in case they need to come off in the future...
I'm not sure when Citroen changed over so yours may already have wingnuts. Good luck!
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

One other tip here once you've replaced them, is to turn the lights down with the rotating dimmer switch thingumybob; as the dash lights on a BX are on all the time even when the lights are off (if that makes sense). Just need to turn them up when you do turn the lights on (although I've found that even on dim they are normally bright enough without having to turn them up) ............makes 'em last ages. :D
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

jeremy wrote:
The reason of course is close production tolerances
thats a funny idealistic view, as anyone who has ever had to return anything electronics knows tollerances are huge, but usually limited so they all meet a minimum standard.

Seriously, on a car this age, if all the bulbs go at the wrong time theres an electrical fault!

Before changing all the bulbs, you need to check that you have a voltage on one side or other of the dimmer rheostat. I'd guess that if all the lights are out then you haven't got a voltage feed to them!

Also, the bulbs, they are of the type used in gamboling machines (also known for every light to blow at the same time, not) and can usually be bought on ebay in packs of 50+ for only a couple of quid including delivery!