RTA :(

Anything about BXs
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

@Mulley,

That's the same one that I had a look at a fortnight ago!

See my write-up on her.........

http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6792
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Yup, remembered this from before, didnt remember your write up though, so perhaps its not quite the easy fix i thought it may have been. But then again with a buy it now price of £70 u cant have everything :)
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Sorry to hear that Stuart. I hope you two will be top fit again soon. Also wish you good luck with sorting out the car and insurance stuff.
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Just a quicky update:

They've taken the courtesy car away, as the claim is now settled.

I said, "No it's not."

They said, "Well, we've sent you a cheque so as far as we're concerned it's settled."

I said: "But I'm not accepting that amount."

"Tough. We've cancelled the insurance, so you can't drive the Astra anyway."

Ah. So I have a cheque for £300 - which I have no intention of banking - to replace a mint car. Damn.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Sorry to hear about that, i dont personally know what you can & cant do with a situation like this, perhaps others may be able to offer advice :cry: .
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Ring the insurance ombudsman, theres a national helpline.
M

Post by M »

I think the moral of the story is, when dealing with a third party claim - deal with the company direct - or better still employ a solicitor to do this.

My mother and father have just been involved in a shunt where they were the car in the middle - car behind pushed them into the one in front.

Dad's insurance company are playing silly buggers telling him to take his 6 month old Polo to this well shonky body shop, so dad has sacked his own company off - told them he is dealing with the idiot in the corsa who ran into him and has employed the family solicitor to sort it all out - yes it means some financial outlay, but will all be recoverable from the third party anyway.

Car goes off to VW tomorrow, hire car delivered tomorrow.

I am with Tim - firstly complain in writing to your own insurer (cataloguing what exactly your grievances are and emphasising that this is a non fault claim) making sure you state that if there is no satisfactory response within so many days you will pursue it with the ombudsman.

Incidentally - impressed with the lack of damage to the Polo compared with the Corsa and the Rover 75 - both quite trashed.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

stuart_hedges wrote:Just a quicky update:

They've taken the courtesy car away, as the claim is now settled.

I said, "No it's not."

They said, "Well, we've sent you a cheque so as far as we're concerned it's settled."

I said: "But I'm not accepting that amount."

"Tough. We've cancelled the insurance, so you can't drive the Astra anyway."

Ah. So I have a cheque for £300 - which I have no intention of banking - to replace a mint car. Damn.
Exactly what Direct Liars did to me. Get your brief on the case asap mate, he'll sort them out for you. I had the Fiasco hire for weeks and weeks in the end.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Marty wrote:I think the moral of the story is, when dealing with a third party claim - deal with the company direct - or better still employ a solicitor to do this.

My mother and father have just been involved in a shunt where they were the car in the middle - car behind pushed them into the one in front.

Dad's insurance company are playing silly buggers telling him to take his 6 month old Polo to this well shonky body shop, so dad has sacked his own company off - told them he is dealing with the idiot in the corsa who ran into him and has employed the family solicitor to sort it all out - yes it means some financial outlay, but will all be recoverable from the third party anyway.

Car goes off to VW tomorrow, hire car delivered tomorrow.

I am with Tim - firstly complain in writing to your own insurer (cataloguing what exactly your grievances are and emphasising that this is a non fault claim) making sure you state that if there is no satisfactory response within so many days you will pursue it with the ombudsman.

Incidentally - impressed with the lack of damage to the Polo compared with the Corsa and the Rover 75 - both quite trashed.

Tough new polo you see Marty, admitted not the most exciting or fastest car in the world but a 5 star NCAP rating none the less
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I'm going to be finding out exactly how well Polos do in the damage stakes next week when I take one to the crusher.
Vauxhall apologist.
M

Post by M »

Ahh, but in this case of Corsa vs Polo it was Polo 1, Corsa 0 :lol:
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Hmm, I shall refrain from commenting about the superiority of Vauxhalls to VWs then Marty :lol:

On a serious note I'm glad to hear it sounds like your parents weren't injured in the accident.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

To be fair it was most probably the older style corsa which is now 7 years old where the Polo is 5.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Stuart

Very sorry to read about all this. What a depressing situation, especially when it is not your fault.

You really must send that cheque back to them rejecting the settlement. Tell them you are not claiming on your insurance (this might be difficult if you have sent a claim form in without saying FOR INFORMATION ONLY this is not a claim). But stick to your guns, get the insurance reinstated and no claims bonus intact.
Then start a dialogue with the 3rd party insurers. Tell them you are not claiming via your insurers and what you want, i.e. £x00 for car value, loan car, realistic damages, uninsured losses covered. Dont appear greedy just ask for what we all agree is fair. This has happened to me twice and each time the TPs company coughed up without too much trouble. It costs them more to do anything else. Especially as you have a so£icitor involved.
Good luck
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Just a little update...

I've been offered £1300 for the injury. My lawyer thinks this is standard for an injury lasting 10 weeks or less. Although I'm still aware of the whiplash as a sort of background ache and awareness of some stiff muscles, it's no longer causing me pain or stopping me from doing anything so I'm accepting it. I've taken up Pilates, which seems to be helping.

My girlfriend is still off work and in pain and claiming separately through her lawyers. She was recently offered £1200, which she laughingly rejected. She's out of pocket as she's having to pay for physiotherapy, and getting a loan from her union to cover it.

Still no news on the car claim. I've sent evidence to the insurance company and am waiting for a response. Not holding out much hope. I'll be using £500 of my injury claim, plus whatever I get from the ZX, to buy an XM as soon as the cheque arrives - probably 2-3 weeks.