HP pump drivebelt jockey wheel

BX Tech talk
spannerman

HP pump drivebelt jockey wheel

Post by spannerman »

Hi , my Mk1 16trs has started screaming , and I;m pretty sure it's coming from the jockey wheel bearing, I will get a better look at it on the weekend with some daylight to help, but is it repairable, or will I need to find a replacement. Thanks in advance Gerry
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Have you tried tightening the HP pump belt ? If it's not tight enough, it makes a horrible screeching sound which sounds just like a faulty bearing.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
spannerman

Post by spannerman »

Hi ellevie, hope it is just the belt, will check it out on the weekend, it's dark when I leave for work, and nearly dark when I get home at the moment. Will let you know what I find.
Cheers Gerry
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this Japanese site very helpful http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~ynar/bxorg_a ... /m27e.html

The jockey has two bolts one of which also acts as the pivot. The lower pivot bolt is awkward to reach but can be accessed with your arm from underneath without actually having to get under the car. A 17mm spanner makes a tight fit when tapped on to the lug shown circled in blue which is part of the jockey and can then be used as a lever to apply the needed tension. The upper bolt can be accessed from above to lock the jockey.
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg
spannerman

Post by spannerman »

Hi Ellevie, I managed to tighten the belt, and this seems to have cured the screaming. I have not had a car that squealed like that before. Thanks Gerry
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Hi Gerry, It's good to hear you've sorted your screeching belt problem. I had it on two of my BXs.
Regards, David
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg