BX re-release

Anything about BXs

Would you be interested in buying a new generation BX?

Yes, I'd buy one because it would be a BX
30%
Yes, I'd be interested in considering buying one
30%
No, a new BX cannot live up to the old one
40%

Total votes: 10

m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

BX re-release

Post by m_2975 »

Purely out of interest to see peoples response, i'm setting up a poll to see if you would be interested in buying a new generation BX if such a thing ever existed.

We all know that various manufacturers re-release their golden cars (such as the Mini, etc) so what do you think?

I'm talking about a modernised BX but with similar styling (maybe a little softer) and refreshed underpinnings.
Last edited by m_2975 on Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Hm... I can't see it somehow. Manufacturers re-release classics - S-type Jag, Mini, 2CV, Beetle... not bog-standard family cars. Sorry!

The C4 is, I think, an attractive car with enough of those design features to make it a proper Citroen. Shame it's not on hydraulics though... and I bet the BX has a bigger boot.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

It wont happen but its a nice thought, wonder if you could build a new one from a new shell upwards.
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Well it's not a question of if it will ever happen, cause it won't. It's just to see how much the BX in it's own right is loved.

Maybe 5 years ago you could have built a BX from the ground up from new Citroën parts, but I think it's a little too late now.

Does anyone remember BMW pulling that stunt a few years back? They did it completely with of the shelf parts on a '70's model.

I wouldn't think that Citroën would be interested anyway, but I think that they should.

I get the feeling that Citroën lost a bit of interest in their heritage in the past 10 years. The conservatiore is competely private and most of their cars lost the things that make a Citroën a Citroën. Just another Euro-box really.

The C4 and C6 look like they are going back to the more adventurous days, but the C4 lacks the hydraulics. The new C5 for next year is rumored to loose hydraulics too in favour for air suspension. I'll believe that when I see it!
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I was thinking about this topic when out and about... what I would like to see is a return to the long, low hatchback shape of things like BXs, Saab 900s, Cavaliers etc. I don't like the current style of tall hatchbacks, and I also don't find it very practical - the boot in the courtesy Astra I had seemed very small compared to the length of a BX or 900 boot.

Citroen are making a start on this with their exec car - I think the C6 is a fantastic shape. It would be nice to see it again on family hatchbacks too though.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I agree Citroen has no interest what so ever in non current models.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If I were a fan of the original Mini (which as some of you know I'm not) would I consider the BMW Mini a successor? - No I wouldn't as its an expensive high spec smallish car which is about as far from the original concept as its possible to get. The same can be said for the current VW Beetle. I suppose the 'S' type Jaguar is similar in some respects to its original concept but I'm not sure if the concept is successful and the designer of the new XF Jaguar (its successor) takes the view that when Jaguar styling was successful it was very modern, not nostalgic and has reflected that in his design.

So we're talking about Citroen producing a new car with a strong styling resemblance to a BX. My reaction is why bother - if you want to produce a nostalgic Citroen then go for a DS, GS or even CX shape - which would I feel have rather more 'WOW' factor.

If the BX design and plant had been sold to some far away country and was still im production - then yes I might be interested but I'd be getting the real thing or at least part of it - but a new car with a few creases to imitate its designers place of conception - no thanks.
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

jeremy wrote:If I were a fan of the original Mini (which as some of you know I'm not) would I consider the BMW Mini a successor? - No I wouldn't as its an expensive high spec smallish car which is about as far from the original concept as its possible to get. The same can be said for the current VW Beetle. I suppose the 'S' type Jaguar is similar in some respects to its original concept but I'm not sure if the concept is successful and the designer of the new XF Jaguar (its successor) takes the view that when Jaguar styling was successful it was very modern, not nostalgic and has reflected that in his design.

So we're talking about Citroen producing a new car with a strong styling resemblance to a BX. My reaction is why bother - if you want to produce a nostalgic Citroen then go for a DS, GS or even CX shape - which would I feel have rather more 'WOW' factor.
I think if Citroen do make a "nostalgia" model it will be the 2CV ....although as a devotee of "A" series Citroens for the last 33 years [I've run various examples since 1973] I certainly wont be going and paying twice the price for one as it would cost me to put a C3 on the road ............ which is prob'ly what it would be based on.
And it'll only resemble the 2CV in shape anyway [just like the above mentioned cars]
Nostalgia? No thanks,I'll stay with the original .........although I had wondered myself how much a completely restored BX would cost [2CV's are available "as new" at around £8/9000] ...........how much is a new C4? ...........around the £13/14000 mark? ........What sort of BX would that sort of money buy?
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Rumour has it the next generation C5 will be without hydraulic suspension.

They'd never be able to re-produce the BX. Part of the attraction is its lightweight durable construction with DIY mechanics. In todays world of safety for both passengers and pedestrians theres no chance anything so big on the inside yet so small on the outside could be produced.
Over and out from me
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Ian_Fearn wrote:BX. Part of the attraction is its lightweight durable construction with DIY mechanics. In todays world of safety for both passengers and pedestrians theres no chance anything so big on the inside yet so small on the outside could be produced.
This is surely true. :)
However does that mean that we should see the error of our ways and not use this car as a regular driver exposing ourselves to risks we would be protected from in a later car?
Is it similar as continuing to smoke when the real dangers are known?
Poses many questions yet I know I enjoy driving the BX and the toybox seems full enough but of course the unseen things in later cars like side protection and multiple air-bags may be able to extend your driving experience if you were unlucky..............I don't know what the right answer should be. :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

You could always never go out of your house ...........and then fall down the stairs breaking your back... :?

Life is all about calculated risk.

Safety is relative. Perhaps psychologically the safer our cars the worse we drive? I think people rely on safety features these days. My next door neighbour drives a brand new discovery. Not meaning to sounds rude i asked her why she bought one the first thing she said was 'safety'.

I said to her if everybody drove old Mini's would she feel the need to have such a gargantuan vehicle? She said yes, her kids safety was paramount. I then asked her if she did any research into the safety of vehicles before she bought one. She admitted that she'd assumed her Disco was safe. Personally i dont know the answer to that one but i reckon its more to do with how she looks on the school run.
Over and out from me
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Interesting question, my missus would prefer it if I drove around in a more modern (perceived) 'safer' car.

My question is: Would my driving standards drop if I was in a more modern car, cocooned with air bags, side impact bars, etc? I think we can lay a lot of the blame for the apparent fall in driving standards on the fact that the majority of the driving population has such 'active' injury protection and hence feel like THEY will not suffer in a crash. I heard a saying somewhere that we would all drive along a lot more cautiously if we had a 6" steel spike coming out of the steering wheel instead of an airbag...
The other point I note is that the latest generation of cars tend to have massively thick pillars to give strength and to incoroprate air bags; therefore making it very easy to 'lose' a biker or pedestrian in the blind spot.
I don't feel unsafe in my BX, as I think that the passive safety provided by powerful ABS brakes, good grip from the 16v wheels/tyres and good visibility go someway to offsetting the lack of air bags and side impact bars etc. However, as Stuart knows only too well, you can never prevent some idiot from running into the back of you :(
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

Ian_Fearn wrote: ............. My next door neighbour drives a brand new discovery. Not meaning to sounds rude i asked her why she bought one the first thing she said was 'safety'.

I said to her if everybody drove old Mini's would she feel the need to have such a gargantuan vehicle? She said yes, her kids safety was paramount. ................ She admitted that she'd assumed her Disco was safe....................
............. Personally i dont know the answer to that one but i reckon its more to do with how she looks on the school run.
I think I know the answer ..............it's possibly the fact that that either her or hubby feels she's a cr@p driver ............and they'd rather her kill/maim some other poor b*st*rd [through her own ineptitude] than herself.
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Terry Brooks wrote:
I think I know the answer ..............it's possibly the fact that that either her or hubby feels she's a cr@p driver ............and they'd rather her kill/maim some other poor b*st*rd [through her own ineptitude] than herself.
=D>

That's a very incisive think tank at the Milton Arms Tel. :wink:
It is most likely an accurate assessment. :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Ian wrote:Rumour has it the next generation C5 will be without hydraulic suspension.
The version I heard (from David R, I think) was that hydraulics would only be available on the higher spec cars.
Way2go wrote:However does that mean that we should see the error of our ways and not use this car as a regular driver exposing ourselves to risks we would be protected from in a later car?
Mat wrote:However, as Stuart knows only too well, you can never prevent some idiot from running into the back of you
All very true.

I must say though - once I'd realised quite how severe the impact was - I was very impressed at the way a 20-year-old car stood up. It did its job of protecting the occupants in a smash of almost motorway speeds.

However... the whole affair has quite cured me of my desire for a 2CV.

Ian's neighbour, like many ill-informed motorists, bought an SUV because they look safe. Discos, at least, are real off-roaders but I despair of people who buy things like Vitaras, not realising that they're actually more likely to roll in a crash.

Another thing that bothers me when I drive modern cars is the level of noise protection. The Astra was practically silent at motorway speeds and a couple of times I realised that I'd edged up to about 90 without realising. A little bit of NVH reminds you that you are actually driving, and not at home on the sofa.