Cylinder Head Rebuilds.

BX Tech talk
tim leech

Cylinder Head Rebuilds.

Post by tim leech »

Where is best and how much do they cost guys?

Is the Mi head quite special or could most engineering places work on, I used a local shop when the Xantia was rebuilt in January and that cost £150 for a 8valve, I dont think I need and new valves as it doesnt burn any oil and does pull wellbut am open to suggestions.

Had my valver out tonight, ready for Sunday its tappety and the exhaust is blowing AGAIN from the manifold, which I think is down to the manifold being split again (ive had it welded once), So im thinking of ripping the head off, getting it all re-done, fit a decent manifold and then getting it set up properly so it doesnt sound like a diesel! Plus I have a polished inlet manifold and fuel rail to go on aswell as a painted rocker cover which are alot easier when the heads off. Oh and a superchip :D

The bottom end was rebuilt a couple of years.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Loads of info on the head here. Seem to remember he recons that about 200 BHP can be got simply by fitting slightly larger valves.

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks Jeremy. Sounds good, does he do the work itself or does he just supply I really need somewhere I could drive and drive out or at least take the head too.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think he does the work - but if you read all the site you'll find he doesn't seem very commercially minded. I've only read his site with interest and he seems to talk sense.

By commercially minded I mean that I recall he states he's not registered for VAT - which means his turnover (which will of course include parts sole on by him) doesn't exceed somewhere about £50,000. So Take labour at £40 per hour, you'll find he's working for about 1/2 a year at 40 hours per week with no parts! - see what I mean!