BX re-release

Anything about BXs

Would you be interested in buying a new generation BX?

Yes, I'd buy one because it would be a BX
30%
Yes, I'd be interested in considering buying one
30%
No, a new BX cannot live up to the old one
40%

Total votes: 10

M

Post by M »

The BX in its current guise could not be reintrouced, it would fail dismally the inordinate amount of current legislation it would have to pass. Hence the VW new Beetle and BMW new Mini are vaguely based on the cars they purport to immitate. The 2CV concept (C4 platform) again will not be anything like the 2CV/ Dyane in anything but vague styling. And thats the nub, would Citroen want to reintroduce the BX styling? Possibly in another 20 or so years it may become retro kewl (like Jag with the Type 2 copy) and be introduced in a beefed up safe kind of way - but its unlikely.

The nearest thing Citroen have to a 2CV is the Blingo, and thats in what it does, how it does it and for how much (you can even get one with a roll back roof). To a degree, mechanically its reasonably simple too, certainly its less complex than the C5 or C6 - Sadly nostalgia is all we have - but for the cost of a "new" retro car, you can have your own restored to a very high standard!

I wonder if in 20 years, people will be discussing the Xantia in this way?

Anyway, in 10 years we will all be driving Unigate milkfloats.....
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Nostalgia. It's definitely not what it used to be. :wink:
Marty wrote:The BX in its current guise could not be reintrouced, it would fail dismally the inordinate amount of current legislation it would have to pass.
This is very true.

The most obvious points it would fail on are:
Engine emissions and Electronic logging
Passenger cell rigidity and side impact protection (this is what is due to remove the Land-Rover Deafener from the road in 2009/2010)
Secondary safety systems (funbags and the like)
Single-point-of-failure brake system (this is why the C5/C6 have "conventional" brakes)

Plus, I can't see anyone wanting to buy one. The Mini / Beetle modern-car-retro-look market relies on the fact that the original Mini and the original Beetle were on sale for evAr and have a massive following. The same can't really be said for the BX.

The "modernised 2CV", on the other hand, might well have a market due to the length of time the 2CV was on sale for, and the following they have.
this might be a signature
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

DavidRutherford wrote: I can't see anyone wanting to buy one. The Mini / Beetle modern-car-retro-look market relies on the fact that the original Mini and the original Beetle were on sale for evAr and have a massive following. The same can't really be said for the BX.
I believe this really sums it up! :) A new introduction would be just that - a new & different car, and in keeping with the model names would have a different designation. :(

We fans of the BX love it for what it is - not necessarily for what it would become even if PSA revised it with the same name. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto