Hello BXClub.co.uk!

Anything about BXs
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

docchevron1472 wrote:Oh, modern Rover's dont do anything for me at all really.
I'd have the MG variant though!

I'm a big fan of the older Rover's, but the later one's were very bland, although as you rightly say, they really are bargain basement cars now, and you do get a lot of car for your money.
MGZT 4.6 V8 for you then Doc!
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I always fancied the quick rear-drive MG estate version of the 75 (the one Tim's referring to?), but without all the cosmetics and badged as a Rover.

I like sleepers. Q-cars, whatever you want to call them.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Yep a Q car is normally what they barnd them, like getting a 14E and sticking a T16 engine it! Unlike the common practice of buying a 1.0 Corsa/Saxo/106/206/Nova/*delete as appropriate and making it look as if its fast!
Baz

Post by Baz »

docchevron1472 wrote:I'm a big fan of the older Rover's, but the later one's were very bland, although as you rightly say, they really are bargain basement cars now, and you do get a lot of car for your money.
Each to his own & all that, but IMO my 75 is FAR, FAR, FAR, from being bland....In fact it's an extremely charismatic car....Indeed it's only the fact that my wife uses it, and it's a little thirsty for her tastes, that makes me consider selling it....At this precise moment I'm in full "Keep it" mode! :roll:

I'll agree though, about the earlier stuff....I'm a BIG SD1 fan! 8)
Currently:
'99 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto
'83 Renault 11 GTL 3-Door
'79 Renault 20 TS 5-Speed (coming soon)
'?? Citroen BX Series 1 Saloon (required)
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

You see Adam I always knew you had taste. 70s wedgeness is where its at!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

tim leech wrote:
MGZT 4.6 V8 for you then Doc!
Hell yes. Thats the point, it's a hooligan car for naff all outlay. They ar so cheap now you can pretty much drive one til it breaks, go buy another and your still talking peanuts!
Baz wrote:Each to his own & all that, but IMO my 75 is FAR, FAR, FAR, from being bland....In fact it's an extremely charismatic car
Oh absolutley mate, it's not so much that the car itself is bland, actually they are surprisingly good when you throw them around a bit, it's more the "image" that they will forever be entrapped to. Ya know, the whole middle class, stiff upper lip English Gent in the country ideaology.Not saying thats the way it should be, but it does seem to me that it's the way it went, despite Rover trying hard with marketing to make it appealing to the younger masses.

I like the Q car idea though...
Although equally I really like the ballsy "F&*k OFF" stance of the MG. It was really neatly styled IMHO. I had a go in one when my mate went to buy a new C5 from the same dealership. I was UBER impressed. At the time they were alot of money, but now, even I could afford one!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

A V6 ZT, with nearly 200bhp is yours for much less than £5000, so alot of car, I sold them new and I agree they too overpriced.
M

Post by M »

Mmmmmmm, Walnut dash, leather, cream dials. Character you dont get in a Cit. I do like a nice Rover. Sadly I hate the galloping rust and bloody lousy K series head gasket issues - I mean, come on, an engine with bolts that go from the sump to the head.... :roll:

Rover 75 tourer with the Bimmer diesel lump would be my choice - but then I have just a tanner* in my pocket - so I will stick with my chip fat loving BX for now.

* Younger / non UK listeners - tanner = 6d = six old pence, or about 2 &1/2 new pennies.