Indicator earthing fault

BX Tech talk
paulwitchard
BXpert

Indicator earthing fault

Post by paulwitchard »

I've got a problem with the earthing system for the indicators on a TZD estate. They all flash at the same time - with the ones that should be flashing marginally brighter than the other side. The car has previously had a towbar fitted using those 'orrible scotchlok things. I cleaned up the earth bolts on the rear without helping, then started on the front only to find that the glass was loose on one headlight, which promptly fell ou and smashed. I started to lose interest at this point! However have found another set of headlights at an autojumble today (St Pierre sur Dives) lots of interesting Cits and bits there!, so tomorrow might have another go at it.

Should I get rid of the 'orrible scotchloks first or where are the earthing wires for the fronts / side repeaters. Any useful advice greatly appreciated - still got no manuals yet!
Paul in Normandy - BX 1992 Millesme 1.9D, 1999 Peugeot 806 2.1 TD (the Bus) - gone bang on the M25, in a scrapyard somewhere in the SE of England, 1985 Visa Decouvrable, 1990 Land Rover 110TD (Great Uncle Bulgaria),1999 Isuzu Trooper, 1991 Hymer motorhome with Peugeot J5TD power, and a shedfull of mopeds!
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

My bet its the cabling and connectors for the front and side repeaters.
I've had many problems with the conectors, as they are exposed to the traffic mist of sallty winter roads.
Once they are gone - the cabling starts to rot inside under the isolation. The typical black corrosion where nothing crimped to the cable will give any usable current paths :roll:

Only remedy is replacing cabling and connectors - with some standard 2lead appliance cabling and crimp-on spade or round (preferred) connectors.

I believe that these harnesses may in fact still be available from Citroen.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
paulwitchard
BXpert

Post by paulwitchard »

Turned out to be a faulty hazard warning switch! Did cause much head scatching though!
Paul in Normandy - BX 1992 Millesme 1.9D, 1999 Peugeot 806 2.1 TD (the Bus) - gone bang on the M25, in a scrapyard somewhere in the SE of England, 1985 Visa Decouvrable, 1990 Land Rover 110TD (Great Uncle Bulgaria),1999 Isuzu Trooper, 1991 Hymer motorhome with Peugeot J5TD power, and a shedfull of mopeds!