BX 1905cc Turbo Diesel

BX Tech talk
Kevin B
BXpert

BX 1905cc Turbo Diesel

Post by Kevin B »

Can any Bx gurus out there confirm if any late model Citroen Bx cars left the factory fitted with the 1905cc Turbo Diesel engine, as would be fitted to the Xantia or peugeot 306 etc.

I have heard this is so from a number of sources, but have never seen one.

Thanks in anticipation.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

General consensus is no, they didn't.

Most "sightings" of BX 1.9TD's have actually been 19TXD / 19TZD models, with owners proclaiming "it's got a T in the model, hence it must be a turbo model"

Given that the 1905ccTD engine wasn't available until mid/late 1992, and the BX effectively ceased production 12-18 months later, it's highly unlikely that PSA would bother putting the new engine in an "old" car, when they had plenty of "new" 405/ZX/Xantia's needing engines.
this might be a signature
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

there is a rumour that there where a few BX's with 1.9td's as test cars, but if that really was true then there would likely only be a small number (like 3) and they would be in france not the UK and why would they bother as there where platforms already with the 1.9td in them testing.

Its a rumour i want to believe is true, but i think if you want to see one you'll have to build it yourself! However its a very exclusive club and we try to keep the numbers very limited (only Stu's and Pilsy/Billys left i think).

I had the first one in the UK though :P
andycadabra
BXpert

replace 1.7 TD with 1.9 TD?

Post by andycadabra »

I have a 1992 BX 1.7TZD with engine problems that may not be easily sorted. I've been toying with the idea of a replacement engine but the Citroen ones seem very rare, compared to the Peugeot 1.9 turbodiesel fitted to the 306, 406 etc. does anybody know how straightforward it would it it would be to replace my 1.7td with the 1.9td?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Vanny wrote:only Stu's and Pilsy/Billys left i think
And mine!

In answer to the difficulty, it's only slightly more difficult than a standard engine swap if you change over all the ancillaries to the 1.9 engine. The only extra hassle comes in changing the cam for one that will drive the HP pump, but it's a perfect opportunity to put in an N/A cam.
I think Vanny kept the Xantia HP pump, and therefore had the joys of mating up the hydraulic systems...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Mat - thanks for your posting - yes I think I read somewhere that these engines don't have a pulley system to drive the HP pump, and, unlike the Xantia ones, the Peugeot ones wouldn't have had a pump to drive anyway I suppose.

I'm afraid I don't even know what an N/A camshaft is, or where I would find a camshaft that would drive the HP pump?

would it be simpler to wait for a Xantia engine and pick Vannys brain on the mating of the hydraulic systems?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Some pug engines had pulley drive's ont he end of the cam for the vacuum pump etc, early ones only IIRC.
Certainly I've had a few in the past, the engine in Phoenix came from a 405 and that had a twin pulley, once replaced with the Citroen pulley it all lines up fine.

The N/A cam is peakier and gives better off boost performance, since Normally Aspirated engines are plentiful it isn't hard to find one!
Much easier than trying to mate a 6+2 pump to the hydraulics of a BX, although the bonus is you can ditch the ever pesky flow divider..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I have a spare camshaft you can have for the cost of postage. It was off a 205 with power steering, therefore has the provision for a pulley on the flywheel end. Would just need to confirm that the pulley offset is identical to the BX though first.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I'm sure you'll find the cam itself is identical, it's the pulley they altered to allow for various applications.

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Mat - I am planning to put a 1.9 in my Hurricane next spring. Its present engine is on its last legs.
Can I put in a bid/request for your n/a cam to help make the conversion more worthwhile ?
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Mat - thanks for your kind offer of the camshaft. It seems to be more in demand than perhaps you expected, so maybe you should take bids! Was that engine used in a 205?

docchevron - I'm not sure what cam your referring to being identical. The 205 one to a 1.9td?, or do you mean I could use my 1.7td camshaft in the 1.9td?

With luck I won't have to change the engine but I have to consider all possibilities.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

you can change the cam over from the 17 to the 19, but if you want a peakier off boost engine then you really want a camshaft from a 19 normally aspirated engine, ideally from a BX, but one from an early Pug that had a belt drive for vacuum / PAS pump would do.

khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

indeed, the 1.9 D camshaft it's the same as 1.9 TD camshaft, only the pump end is different, but u can use it without any other modification. I have a 1.9 TD from a 405 (or maybe Xantia), I didn't have any problem installing it
BX 2.1 Turbo D12 coming soon
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

If anyone wants a 1.9TD estate, then pilsy/billys old car is available for sale but needs some work.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
the_baron
Confirmed BX'er

Post by the_baron »

Would it be easier to plonk a turbo from a Xantia onto a 19 N/A engine?
Current Fleet
1990 BX 14 TE St Tropez
1986 Wartburg 353S Tourist
1973 Ami 8 Club Centrafuge