Anything about BXs
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Trying different bumpers

Post by m_2975 »

Just out of interest, has anyone tried putting a 16V front and rear bumer onto an 8V GTI and how does it look?

Does the back bumper look stupid because it doesn't have the fibreglass flares or does it have a similar gap to the original?

Not interested in the rear spoiler and I know that it doesn't work without the side vent flare things that's why i'm asking about the bumper.

Michael
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Front bumper looks fine, although you'll need to move the towing eye and remove the two outer clips on the front valance to fit it.

The rear bumper looks ok ish, but it does stick out a little without the wheel spats, and unless you've got the plastic rubbing dtrips the eye brows look a little wierd, but they are bolted on so can be removed and the holes filled in...

Frankley, if you're putting valver bumpers on, you really should kit the whole car. Whale tail side pods and all!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
m_2975
BXpert
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Thanks Doc,

No i'm not going to kit the car out but curiosity got me asking.

I do like the fact that the 16V front bumper doesn't have that rubber strip and gap on the side guards. To me it looks messy with the gap. The same with the rear bumper; the section under the tail lights and the side section where the bumper ends and the rear guard starts.

The thing that puts me off the 16V bodykit is that everything is so expensive for it. Here you pay over 600 pounds for a rear 16V bumper and about 800 pounds for the front! (Yes they're still available here)

As for the rest of the bodykit, it's either no long available new or you can't get it off a secondhand body cause of the bloody glue.

Thanks for the reply mate, it's much appreciated.

Michael
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
In the Family:
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Interesting that you can at least still get P2 bumpers, even for extortionate amounts of money..

Almost tempted to buy some over there and ship them back to blighty..

Having spent the day in the company of 2 valvers and a P2'd TD I was a bit wrong about the rear bumper!
They dont stick out any further at the side than a P1 bumper, so should look ok.

Indeed geting the kit off a car without destroying it is very dissicult, requires nerves of steel and an UBER steady hand. the only bit thats impossible to remove without destroying anything is the side pods..

That said, you really cant beat the P2 look.

I agree about the rubber strip on the P1 bumpers, they look fussy, the P2 bumpers give a much cleaner line and flow into the car well...

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
m_2975
BXpert
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Hi Doc,

I just checked for you.

There's one of each new still in stock. They said that they haven't sold any for about 10 years.

Apparently Citroën France no longer supply them like most of the parts. Even most of the water hoses are no longer available so it's most likely just what's on the shelves over here and in the UK. Stock up mate according to Citroën France after sales the 16V stock is now completely discontinued apart from whats on the shelf (unless its a shared part with an 8V or a Pug 405).

:? :?

BTW Doc,
Have you tried those small rear bumper pieces that hide the gap between the tail light and bumper on a normal bumper?
If so and it looks ok, do you have a pair I can buy?
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
In the Family:
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Yeah, parts supply is getting very scarce over here now, I know a few dealers who sold me any remaining 16V only stuff they had left for not much, but mst of it was stuff no-one would ever want.

I've been stockpiling for a while now, although I've given alot of it away, so I'll replenish supplies and keep hold of them from now on.

Can't say I've tried fitting the "eyelets" to P1 bumper's, but I'd imagine they look good, the P1 bumper always looked unfinished to me.

Although I think for full effect you'd really need the rubbing strips from a valver too.

I do have a pair of "eyelets" if you want them, but I no longer have any 16V P2 rubbing strips..

m_2975
BXpert
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Was down at the importer again today to get my new front fogs and saw a big box sticking out of the dumper. Looked to me like a bumper box so I asked. Sure enough it was a bumper box and in it was the last 16V front bumper. It's smashed to smitherines apparently by a pallet of exhausts falling on top of it. OUCH!

Sorry Doc,

The rear bumper is there though!
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
In the Family:
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Bummer. Never mind. Shiny replacement P2 black BX arriving Friday, so something else to play with!!

Got your PM, next time I'm up the farm I'll fire them out in the post!

m_2975
BXpert
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Doc!

I have some rather amazing news for you!

The 16V front bumpers are apparently being made again!!!
I nearly fell off my chair and had to look twice.

I have had a look on the Citroën online parts catalogue and they are listed there and are also listed on the April 2007 price list.

Go down to your dealer and ask them if they are able to order one for you before they run out again.

Michael
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
In the Family:
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
m_2975
BXpert
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Doc!

I have some rather amazing news for you!

The 16V front bumpers are apparently being made again!!!
I nearly fell off my chair and had to look twice.

I have had a look on the Citroën online parts catalogue and they are listed there and are also listed on the April 2007 price list.

Price is unchanged though :(

Go down to your dealer and ask them if they are able to order one for you before they run out again.

Michael :lol:
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
In the Family:
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Blimey, can't imagine why Citroën have decided to make bumpers for a near obselete car...

I'll check it out on Monday, ta for that.