jrdpod's Meteor progress

BX Tech talk
jrdpod
BXpert

jrdpod's Meteor progress

Post by jrdpod »

Evening All,

Just sorted out a fuel problem with my 1991 Meteor. It was an intermittent loss of power, due the carb being full of dirt.

At the same time, the dashboard gremlins have been sorted out.
The reason the stop and low coolant lights stayed on was, as I expected, due to dirt/corroded contacts on their respective sensors.

I've concluded that it would be best for me to paint the tailgate to match the rest of the car, and find a spoiler to fit on it. This would probably be less hassle than swapping over the tailgate.

The broken rear exhaust mounting has been replaced. Not by a welded one, but by bolting a bracket on the rear n/s quarter panel. This panel will need to be replaced in the long term, because it's badly dented, so bolting the fitment on makes sense.

I also require "the thermostat device that controls the automatic choke".
The current one still works, but tends to cause the choke to "open", when the engine is still "half warmed up", ie if the car has been standing for, say an hour. This can make starting a little awkward sometimes, but I have mastered how to do it. I'd still like to get another "choke thermostat" though.

I could also do with a replacement hot air box.

For the next MOT (in April 08), the power steering ram needs replacement (current one leaks a little bit), and a front brake caliper also needs renewing.

I'd like to thank Hipwells Motor Engineering for assistance on the above.
They have advised that my Meteor is mechanically in good condition, and this car has now done 118K. Structurally it's now basically sound, and just needs various cosmetic bits attending to.

Regards
John Podgorski/jrdpod.
John R D Podgorski
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Great to hear that your car is of good health now.

Well done
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
jrdpod
BXpert

re jrdpod's Meteor progress

Post by jrdpod »

Yes, the Meteor is running well now.

Occasionally, the "low coolant" light still illuminates, but this is down to a dodgy sensor connection (as previously mentioned).

I normally don't take the Meteor more than 100 miles from base, to "preserve it" basically.
I rent a new car for longer trips, but I still feel the BX is the superior vehicle.

Regards
John Podgorski/jrdpod.
John R D Podgorski
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Hi John

Nice report, sounds like you're sorting that car out. Well done.

Oscar
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

When I bought my 19TXD earlier this year, it had a low water warning light fault where the light would sometimes come on even though the water level was ok. I applied some WD40 to the contacts of the sensor connector and pushed it on and off a few times to clean the contacts. The problem has not come back so this seems to have cured it.
I also require "the thermostat device that controls the automatic choke".
The current one still works, but tends to cause the choke to "open", when the engine is still "half warmed up", ie if the car has been standing for, say an hour. This can make starting a little awkward sometimes, but I have mastered how to do it. I'd still like to get another "choke thermostat" though.
If it is a Solex carb then the thermostat is available, see --- http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7393

I'm not convinced that replacing the waxstat will solve your problem. The Citroen handbook suggests that you should press the accelerator to the floor when doing a warm start. I sometimes found that this was necessary after the engine had been switched off for about 20 minutes. In any case I have replaced my autochoke with a manual choke so this is no longer an issue.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg