"Modern" Wiper Blades

Anything about BXs
nstarmore
BXpert

Post by nstarmore »

Just to give my experience on this ebay new style wipers, I run them on my Xantia as I like the look but after 2 sets (I thought the first were just a dodgy batch) realised they are absolutely pants.

The first set kept leaving a smear line right it my sight line of the screen on the drivers side and lifted completely off the screen at anything above 75 (contrary to the claims that they are less prone to lift than conventional wipers) and the second set still leave the smear on the drivers side and on the passanger side there is a 2inch thick section that the wiper doesn't even touch!!! oh yeh and in the drizzle situation they stick to the screen and the wiper actually moves about on its arm. Obviously there's only once wiper to worry about on the BX but still...

I think valeo and bosch do their own versions of them, which are probably ok but I wouldn't go for the unheard of brands of ebay ever again, complete waste of money.

In fact thats just reminded me to go to halfords and pick up some new ones later (again), I'll probably just get some conventional ones again.
Nic

- 1995 Xantia SX TD (daily hack)
- 1987 BX 16V (project)
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Thanks nstarmore.

I have just received my wipers and installed one on the front and one on the rear. So far I am impressed by them. I can't complain. The day I got them was pouring rain so I thought that I'd spring them into action.

At high speed they seem to stay on the screen perfectly and are reasonably sticky so they really take all the water off the screen. I can't say either that they are leaving lines in the screen either.

I really like the look and so far so good. Let's see how long they last shall we?

The ones I have are the aero vu ones. I have seen others on ebay so maybe we have diferent brands nstarmore?

Michael
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
nstarmore
BXpert

Post by nstarmore »

hmmm, seems youve had better luck than me with them, perhaps like you said they are different brands, personally I can't remember what brand they but they were quite cheap (no more expensive than a standard set) so that probably explains it, you get what you pay for.

I'm glad you seem to have had better luck with yours and it has confirmed to me that they can work so I might pay a bit more and get some quality ones instead.

to be continued...

oh yeh my name's Nic by the way :D , just to save you having to use my username, which sounds a bit awkward when reading it :wink:
Nic

- 1987 BX 16V (project)
m_2975
BXpert
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

nstarmore wrote:oh yeh my name's Nic by the way :D , just to save you having to use my username, which sounds a bit awkward when reading it :wink:
Thanks Nic.

It's nice to meet you and nice to see that you are going to be another potential BX'er soon!

If there's anything you need or want to ask just send me a PM. I'm on regularly.

Michael
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
In the Family:
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
nstarmore
BXpert

Post by nstarmore »

Cheers Michael, I will be a BX'er soon hopefully but a lack of decent examples within reasonable distance and the fact that (contrary to their reputation) my Xantia refuses to die is stopping it at the moment but it will certainly be my next car, I would have one alongside but my age (21) and insurance costs stop any ideas of that.

Sorted the wiper dilemma (sp?) by going out and buying some conventional bosch wipers (was going to get valeo but my local motor factors don't stock them) and they are working a treat, didn't want to risk waisting any more money but I will give them a try again when I get a BX, when the novilty of having a mono wiper has worn off 8)
Nic

- 1987 BX 16V (project)
m_2975
BXpert
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Nic,

You're 21 too?

There's nothing stopping you having 2 cars....except the bank balance maybe.

Welcome to the club anyway.

I have a MSN account if you do and ever want to chat. My MSN address is in my profile.

Michael
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
In the Family:
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A