RTA :(

Anything about BXs
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

W00t!

I have finally achieved a payout of £750 for the BX!

Here's how it went:

They sent me £300 - £400 for the car, less excess. I'd paid 500 for the car, but I think it was worth more.

I phoned up and said: that's low. The woman there was really rude and basically said tough titties but you're welcome to send evidence if you think it's worth more.

I did so, with ads for cars between £750 and £1950.

They sent me another £50.

I wrote to my broker, outlining my grievances, asking them for help with the insurer, and stating that I would go to the Financial Ombudsman if they couldn't help.

I received an acknowledgement very quickly, and a cheque for £400 shortly after that, bringing the payout to a total of £750, and I didn't have to pay the excess! I'm happy: I got what I believe is a fair value for the car and I wasn't landed with the excess. It's what I should have got in the first place; it's just a shame it took so much work and time to get it.

I've probably mentioned that I'm insured through the brokers that Tim recommends. I've no complaints about them at all; they've always been very helpful. And they do represent several underwriters so if you use them you may not get stuck with Equity Red Star.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Good news and well done mate. I can't believe that you would have to pay the excess anyway on a 'non-fault' accident as it would have been the other person's insurance paying out. But by-the-by, you got a fair price for your car and I'm glad to hear it.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

What about the BX, can you not have the salvage?
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Oddly, Tim, they haven't mentioned what's going to happen to the BX... so I'm keeping it!

We're going to strip it for parts, and they will go to whoever wants them. Mnde has bagsied some of the mechanicals for his dead Meteor, and Mountainman can have whatever body parts he needs to tidy up his GT (as they are the same colour). The rest I will advertise on here when I've got a better idea of what's available and what we'll have to chuck away.

BTW I forgot to say a big THANK YOU to those of you who helped me out finding suitable adverts to send in to the insurance company as evidence.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

U sure mountain mans taking the GT? Noones heard from him for ages, including adam as he was supposed to collect in 2 months ago, I hope hes ok.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Congrats, thats a bit more like it, hopefully you can get a nice one & have a few quid left over for maintenance etc...