Jon's Blog started 7th October 2007!

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

How long the Clarke one will last I don't know - its actually quite heavy and has hard wheels as I found when I cut something a bit thick and chipped one very slightly.

I purchased a Clarke 1/2 inch torque wrench which isn't very expensive. It came with a 6 in extension bar - beautifully presented as highly polished chrome. As it has a straight 'square' rather than the wobble type I thought it was just the bar to use with my 18 inch breaker bar and a 37??mm socket for tightening up the driveshaft nut which was proving a bit difficult to get to align with the locking pin holes. So I fit it all up and stand on the end of the breaker bar only to descend rather more rapidly that I was expecting - as the square drive end sheared off the extension bar. It obviously wont take the abuse that other bars will but is probably adequate for the maximum calibrated loading of that torque wrench (155 lb ft)
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

A very good data sheet on the nibbler.
http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8015

Sold quite a few when they first came out.
Would definitely recommend applying oil to the cut area to extend the life of the punch..

The lubrication inside some of the cutting heads can be very sparse, would suggest removing the C clip and gear cover, and repacking with any HD grease, with a mixture of EP 90 - 140.
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

jonkw wrote:For the benefit of Michael and my rusty looking gearbox end cover, the thing was wire brushed, rust treated and then painted in a rather fetching shade of dark blue! :shock:
YAY :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure it's all better now.
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Yep, it'll make all the difference that will Jon, your car is now assured of being 100% reliable always!
And even if it isn't, at least it'll be pretty to look at whilst your crawling around under it in your sunday suit swearing at it! :lol:
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Not sure if your prone to dermatitis.

Try changing the make and type of gloves to vinyl or nitrile, also hand cleaner.

Found certain types of gloves would soften the skin with sweat, mixed with Swafega would end up red raw.

You maybe allergic to a certain chemical. Paints, fillers, etc. Tin snips!!
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Good place to buy tyres is tyreshopper online.

tyres are deliverered to National tyres, who fit them for no extra cost.

Stangely, much cheaper than National would charge..

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Hand cleaner.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi Jonck having pickled my hands in various things over the years brake fluid, thinners etc. I found that the only thing that would really upset them in a matter of minutes,red swollen and very sore, was Swarfega or anything with a parafin base, might be something like that.
All best wishes with the car it's going to be smashing when finished. Well done.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I know the hand problem only too well - and its aggravated by cold weather.

I've found most cleaners to be useless but am impressed by the yellow (lemon) and orange ones as sole by swarfega and others. lemon essence is actually an extremely active cleaner and will clean paintbrushes and almost anything - how do I know - I was a storeman in a cake factory. Orange is similar.

I try and use latex gloves where possible but its not easy and you keep trapping and holing the things. In the cake factory we used some blue plastic ones that were rather better than the latex and not soluble in oil. We used to obtain them from Arco which is a national chain and has a website. Industrial hygiene suppliers may have them as well. (Blue is a compulsory colour for such things in the food business and no food product is that colour)

I have also found some of the industrial hand creams good for treatment as well as prevention and in fact Machine Mart's Clarke handcream (which is a lovely shade of pink) seems to work well and is a reasonable price. (£6 per litre or something)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

jonkw wrote:Yes, the way forward is definately barrier cream (the pink stuff) that you apply before you start work, it protects the hands and also makes them a bit easier to wash afterwards. Will get some tomorrow.

Also picked up some powdered latex gloves, box of 100.
Is it just me that hardly ever uses gloves, never use barrier cream and just take it like a man?

And I have baby soft skin too....!

Coming along nicely Jon!
I aint even started mine yet.... :cry:
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Looking good Jon, much improved from when I was last round yours 8)