What are we going to do about rare spares?

Anything about BXs
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I run mine everyday, and do collosal mileages, and I have no intention whatsoever of replacing either of them with anything newer.
I do totally take the point though, and having two means that I dont have to sweat too much if either of them are off the road for a while.
The time will arrive, probably quite rapidly, where parts have to be made or sourced second hand.
However things like brake hoses can be made, rads re-cored, driveshafts reconditioned etc etc. For most people the cost would be prohibitive and the car would get scrapped, but I'll plod on as I just haven't ever found another car that "fits" me so well.
It's almost a certanty that the lack of parts will bring about a "classic" status for the BX, since only die hard BX nuts will keep spending the money to keep them on the road.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

I run mine everyday too. I have a BX estate that I use for work and my TZI gets daily use when the Estate is out on other things. Apart from that in the family we have another BX TRI that gets used on a daily basis. The estate and the TRI both also have a colossal mileage but are still going strong.

To be honest, parts don't really worry me at all. I have never had a problem getting anything either genuine or non. Brake hoses will be around for decades, drive shafts will be around for quite a while yet and all the mechanical parts will be available until I die. Mark my words!

Brand new parts for CX over here are available without problems and the demand for them due to low remaining cars means that what there is will last a while.

Yes the BX is fast disappearing (which is why I'm grabbing everything I can now) but not in the circles of this club and it's die hard fans.
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

m_2975 wrote:and all the mechanical parts will be available until I die. Mark my words!
Have you any self loathing suicidal tendencies?
Life limiting illnesses?
Anything else we should know?

I only ask since "until I die" is a fairly ball park amount of time.
:wink:

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
m_2975
BXpert
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

I know it's a fairly ballpark timeframe. There are heaps of BX parts and available on order from your dealer. Just ask.

Michael
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
In the Family:
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Nah mate, the local main stealer is about as helpful with car parts as a Hippo is with cross stitch.

m_2975
BXpert
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Ok well I can understand that they are useless.

The problem is that there are thousands of parts lines still available for the BX.

Surely if you spoke to Jon at Duxford Citroen he'd be able to help you. They're in Cambridge but can probably arrange for you.
If you want the number let me know.
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
In the Family:
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Citroen dealers have not normally even heard of bxs these days, and look at like you as if you have just called theer mum a ahore when you ask about parts for one!
m_2975
BXpert
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Nah not Jon. He's been a Citroen man for years. I get parts from him regularly. You're just being sceptical.

You're probably talking about the newer Citroen dealers that know the c series and that's it. We have those idiots here too.

Seriously, call him and ask for a price on a part to be ordered.

Michael
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
In the Family:
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I've been into Citroen main dealers in the UK precisely twice.

Once was when I was running a GS, six years ago. I can't remember what I needed, but when I asked for the part, the guy at the parts desk asked, "a GS... Is that one of the ones based on a 2CV?" :roll:

Slightly more recently, in 2004, I went into another to get a quote for a pair of front spheres for the CX I had at the time. The guy spent ages thumbing through the book and looking on the computer and eventually came up with £250+vat. I actually burst out laughing - it was one of the rudest things I've ever done and I was quite ashamed afterwards but it was totally involuntary.

It's totally different in France. When I was living over there with the CX I took it to Citroen Houdemont for everything. They could always get the parts I needed next day and charged reasonable prices for parts and labour. They also didn't give that mocking, pitying look that I'm used to with Brit dealers when turning up with an older car...

In short: I can understand Tim and Doc's scepticism.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

m_2975 wrote:Nah not Jon. He's been a Citroen man for years. I get parts from him regularly. You're just being sceptical.

You're probably talking about the newer Citroen dealers that know the c series and that's it. We have those idiots here too.

Seriously, call him and ask for a price on a part to be ordered.

Michael
Sorry Micahel but I have to disagree with you, we arent sceptical, Citroen dealers are renowned for being rubbish in the UK, and have no interest what so ever for their older cars, the staff turn around seems so high that anyone who would have worked and sold BXs new would have left along time ago. I only go to the main dealer for bits that I cant get anywhere else.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Dealers.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi sceptical no certainly not, the main dealer is utterly, completely totally useless and that is putting it kindly, I could not even begin to repeat what the local independent Cit repairer says about the lack of spares, 2 ramps and half the garage space out of action waiting for bits and losing custom in the process.
GSF are as bad, mention BX and you just get a blank stare, radiators,drive shafts brake hoses thermostat brake pads coolant hoses you must be joking, LHM --------Whats that????????? Whether or not it's a local problem or not I dont know but the impression is that they couldnt care less , unless you want some Lexus type lights, got plenty of those.
m_2975 count your blessings and grab it while you can, I only wish I/we were so lucky.

Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Main dealer :o what main dealer, we don't have any round here. Not since Dixons went bust.

The Wakefield branch had a guy who had worked there for years and knew BX parts without looking. So he's gone now too. :(
They think it's all over, it is now!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I've used Autoworld in Chesterfield for getting original parts, i think there is one chap in there that knows BX's, always have to order the parts but they do get them for me & can normally get them next day. Not ordered anything expensive though, just filters & various hoses etc...

GSF in Sheffield have been ok as well, i just normally phone them up first to make sure they have stuff in stock, if not they order it in before i go visiting....
m_2975
BXpert
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Well,

If it's as bad as you all say then all the hype about a "real" dealer network in the UK is rubbish that we all imagine about here. In Australia the Citroen dealer network is at best two to three different businesses in each state. Now Australia is a very big country and out of all 8 States and territories there are dealers in no more than 4 more than four of them.

It is getting better now that they are signing up more people due to popularity but those dealers are in the "C" generation and wouldn't know a BX from a D!

Now having said that, most are the C generation dealers. My grandfather's business (Citroën First) was one of the last of the "old school" dealers in Victoria. In all the other states, yes, there are also only one or two of those so called "old school" dealers too.

The advantage over here is that there's a big market for Parts Imports. The importer and distributor is a private company and not a subsidary of Citroën like in the UK and they don't care about parts. They charge what they like and get away with it. Therefore parts are imported.

One of my good friends here owns a wholesale Citroën only parts import business. He gets parts directly from Citroen; if he hasn't got it on the shelf I can order it from him and he'll get it in his next shipment. It's a dream come true.

Honestly, unless you can't get it new, second hand parts are a waste of time. They break more often because they're already half way or more through their live expectancy. Second hand parts make the cars unreliable and waste your time for going to the real effort or changing them.

Now although shipping is expensive to the UK, if the problem is really that bad about getting parts, i'm happy to extend my services to a "pooled" shipment of parts every so often to offset parts costs. I have contacts to send via DHL and also sea ship to one person (whoever is willing to hand out) and everyone can pay via paypal or via CC up front.

No joke gentlemen, parts are all available here. Some Diesel bits might be a bit hard but if it's a general thing (ie fits petrol and diesel) then it's a piece of cake.

I know Doc is coming over some time next year (is that right Doc?) and maybe he can take home some things in his suitcase.

PS: Brand new 16V bumpers are now in stock.

Strictly a club member offer here. I just sent Tim some parts (admittedly second hand) the other day since no one came forward. He got them as i think that they are fitted.

Michael
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
In the Family:
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

You've missed the point. Citroen stopped making parts for the BX years ago and supplies are running out. Even a good dealer cannot get what isn't available.