Getting closer to MOT!

Anything about BXs
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Getting closer to MOT!

Post by Vanny »

Getting really close to an MOT now! Had one booked today untill we foudn the engine keeps cutting out! Im suspecting an air leak!

got no bonnet catch working at the moment, gonna sort that (went the scrappy).

Fog light keeps falling out (gonna get the glue out tomorrow!)

other than that its rather rough on the ole emmisions and seems to be dripping the odd bit of oil!

All in all im close (thanks for the bolts dave!)
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Keep going, I will all be worth it :wink:
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Go to the test station via the pretty route and give it a little blast to clear the clag out :) All will be fine I hope.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

FAILED!!!!

Rear number plate light (last thing i fixed, blew on the way down there, happens every year!).

Emmisions! Well actually the emmisions where never done as the fans never came on and in blew the rad! Fortunately the guy saw it starting to leak and it missed him JUST!

then it wouldnt restart, had to be jumped. then got it out side and it stalled! Its also hunting every now and again and i can only imagine there is still air getting in (think i spotted a wet injector yesterday!)

Plan is to take it to another garage and get the emmisions done BEFORE taking it to back for a retest!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

got distracted half way through writting that i think, should have mentioned i found a wiring problem, now have twin fans AND an override switch :D
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Automatic fans I hope? coupled with the temp gauge??? What was the result of the test then? a fail list? we see no image of you holding a Certificate :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
M

Post by M »

Look into my eyes Vanny... you are feeling sleepy.... you want to buy a nice white TZD you do.... with no cooloing leaks at all.... you are feeling sleepy.... and 3, 2, 1, you are back in the room.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Everyone knows the white ones are faster and more reliable :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Ha Ha - i have conquered the BX!

Last monday i finally got an MOT without hardly ANY problems! BUT the engine is to be honest haddit!

tuesday evening a coolant pipe blew on the way home! No problem i noticed pretty quick and with a load of assistance reconnected the pipe and refilled at the side of the road! Blew the hose again!

Towed it home and the following morning tried a fix again! This time no blowing off hoses but every time i filled her up she got to pressure with in seconds and blew all the water out the rad/filler!

Yep you guessed it, HEAD GASKET!

Well, went and picked up andyC on the wednesday evening and thursday was spent going the head (took about 10 hours all in)! Had minor problems, but basically went okay. Have somepictures but not at my computer to give them to you all.

What we found is that although i was told the engine was imaculate, there had been a water to piston leak for quite a hell of a long time, with a lot of rust forming from the head, not to mention a lot of blue coolant ingress. Cleaned it all down but some of the rust actually goes into the head so we will have to wait and see with that one! Also there is something very perculiar about the engine, i was told it was well looked after and always been mint but at some point i suspect the cambelt has failed! On two of the piston heads there are VERY clear indents where valves have struck the pistons (one exhaust and one inlet on pistons 3 and 4), and the head appears to be brand new! There is also a lot of corrosion in the water channels in the bottom end and nothing at all in the top end. Obviously there different metals but the top is all shiney and polished and clean and the bottom is less than purfect!

So i can see i'll need another engine next year already! At least this way i can prep for it!

i have no internet at home at the moment, so dont expect too many resposes or posts, but i have just done a 150 mile trp with only a few niggles (failed engine mount and really poor throttle responce, suspecting a fuel/air leak)

either way after two hard weeks of almost continual work, im getting there!!!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Bugger! :shock:
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Bugger indeed! I feel somewhat responsible, as it was my assurnaces that the engine was good.

And in the 405 that it came from, it was indeed good. Started well, drove well, etc. I know it had a new head gasket not that long ago, evedently it had a new head at the same time! I'm am surprised. It certainly didn't seem to have any head gasket problems beforehand, and it had been in daily use. (although a while ago)

And I don't know what to say about the corroson problems. It's had decent coolant in it for all it's life.

Not the best news you could have had there then.

Mind you, with a new HG, and some glycol in it, it should run well enough until you can get your 1.9TD engine sorted. (I hope!!)
this might be a signature
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

well ill sort some Pictures but that head gasket was Not in any sort of good condition, it was crumbled and very rusty.if it was done before IDecommisioning' then it was done VERY badly as there where numerous areas where there where layers of different types of corrosion all the way down to different colours.

All in all its a rather poor engine, stalls lots vibrates more (suspect mounts) .and about 2 hour ago i was over taken on a duaL carriage way by a MK3 fiesta !! down on power doesn't come close , however i will battle on with it, for now at least!!
M

Post by M »

Vanny mate - 250 sobs gets you a lovely runner - with bags of power, in white with BLACK chevrons :wink:
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

erm No, its no 16V and i have exactly No money having had no Job for 4. months !! Hell it goes now at least