Magic Carpet Ride

Anything about BXs
toddao
BXpat

Magic Carpet Ride

Post by toddao »

As I was flying along a few deserted roads yesterday in the BX, rising up and down quite pleasantly I started thinking : Is this the famed magic carpet ride?
Well, having never actually been on a magic carpet I really can't say. Has anyone? This can't be just some spiel dreamed up by Citroen. I've got a few old rugs up in the loft, if anyone knows any incantations we'll try and get one of them up and running and do a proper head to head with the BX..

Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
charlie
BXpert

Post by charlie »

rising up and down quite pleasantly
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :wink:

did citroen actually use the phrase magic carpet or just us lot in trying to describe the ride???????

anyways if you really want to build one then heres the reference book

yes.....
the colour is....
guiness white..........
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I've heard this term 'magic carpet' applied to various Cits, starting with the DS, through the CXs and BXs and now some misled individuals are trying to strap it on the C5 too! ( more like fitted carpet)
Charlie, thanks for that - is that Asterix book the equivalant of the Haynes for Magic Carpets? Maybe got some good advice because standing over one of my old Persian rugs chanting the magic incantation - " Fly you B'std!" doesn't seem to work..

Todd

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i hope you have videoed your attemts at getting your rugger to fly, as you could get £250 squide for that from youve been framed, besides the phyco analyst will need to whatch it to work out if you are beyond therapy, HE HE HE
regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I reckon the reason the thing won't rise up (just like the BX), is because it's overloaded :

Malcolm, once I get the Flying Carpet perfected we can use those two CX Safaris I notice you've got to distribute them!
Todd

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i cant see why you have a prob getting it up with those two on board

i am trying to sell the two CXs if any one is interested
regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

might be interested in the TD one.

Assuming it's a Turbo 2, and the head gasket is in one piece. Is it Taxed/MOT'd?
this might be a signature
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

toddao wrote:I reckon the reason the thing won't rise up (just like the BX), is because it's overloaded :

Kerrist!
I cuold be very easily overloaded in seconds with those beauties on hand!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
pindimar
BXpert
My Cars: no longer any BXs but do have a Xantia

Magic blood...carpet?

Post by pindimar »

...yes, well, come on, stop dreaming!

But look, getting down to something REAL here, it would be interesting to hear what people actually think about the ride of the BX compared to "real" Citroens! That is, the DS and the CX, for a start,

The BX is a very light car so the ride can never be equal to a much heavier car with ta similar suspension. But is the ride on the BX much more ordinary than we sometimes assume? I don't know, I always say that you hear the ride rather than feel it, so much, but I may be kidding myself. What to y'all think about the ride???

Mind you, I got in a TRi the other day for a test drive and my Goodness was the ride firm! It all depends on sphere maintenance i guess!

Greg F
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

It all depends on the condition of the suspension.

Unfortunately, many BX are allowed to become comparitively stiff and firm, as that's what most other cars feel like.

However, if you fit "all new" various bits and pieces to a BX, the ride can be utterly transformed. A certain mr mnde's meteor rides so unbelievably smoothly/softly at the rear you'd be forgiven for thinking it's a hovercraft. The front is still a little stiff, but still way softer than many. Even after driving a number of different BX, I was stunned at just how soft it can be. Speed hump? What speed hump? didn't even notice it.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

The oldest BX ive ever owned (the GT) is also the smoothest for ride, which comes down to being well maintained throughout itse life, ive just changed the LHM and its so sweet, the struts dont groan or stick and rises immediatly when started.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Todd

stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

The oldest BX ive ever owned (the GT) is also the smoothest for ride, which comes down to being well maintained throughout itse life, ive just changed the LHM and its so sweet, the struts dont groan or stick and rises immediatly when started.
That goes for Snoopy too - and I didn't even change the LHM :cries:
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Im sure the early BX's bearings in place of bushes for the front wishbones play a part in this smoother ride. The spheres are the same as later BX spheres, and I cant think what else is different.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Are MK1 struts/cylinders a smaller diameter? If so that would create a softer ride.

It's a marked difference between the Digit and the DTR turbo, especially at the front. The rear seems similar, which makes me wonder if it really is just the lack of wishbone bearings in a MK2 that makes the ride stiffer.

That said, When I broke Snoopy for spares, I discovered that as a very late MK1, it didn't have the wishbone bearings, but was just bushes like a MK2. Odd.