Mr Newbolds TZD

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Well Ken, your mum still has one and I have 3 as does Mulley that you are MORE than welcome to tinker with! just so you dont get bored. :D
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

To be honest Tim, doing the pipes on your 16v might be fun, when I can get a car in the garage and the weather is a bit warmer.
They think it's all over, it is now!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks Ken, keep me posted, its in for a MOT Friday, just to see what needs doing, if its MOTed at least I can move it about, definatly when its warmer! I still havent done 600 miles in it yet since april 2006 so a run would do it good I expect. :oops:
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Will it pass an MOT if the pipes are dodgy though?
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Will soon find out billy, they arent leaking at the moment.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Back on topic for a moment.

I've just watched my last BX disappear down the road :cry: Did get chance for a last drive though. :D

Right chaps. as you were................
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Sad day, hey Ken? I'm thinking of getting another one, got to be diesel though.
Vauxhall apologist.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

cavmad wrote:Will it pass an MOT if the pipes are dodgy though?
It shouldn't. The hydraulic pipes are part of the braking system, so anything considered "excessive corrosion" should be a fail. Only a teeny bit of surface corrosion is permitted as a pass. Certainly if the tester gives them a prod and corroded material comes off, that's an instant fail.

When I had my DTR MOT'd a couple of weeks ago I asked to have a decent look at the underside of the car while it was up in the air as I wanted to have a look at the front to rear pipes, as they aren't the coated type. MOT Tester blokey mentioned about the limits of corrosion and did say that he would be very critical of any corrosion on hydraulic lines on a hydraulic Citroen, even power steering lines, due to the PAS using the same fluid as the brakes and hence a loss of fluid could be dangerous.
this might be a signature
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Decent price that, theres hope for the rest of our cars :). Did that lemans interior disappear with the car? & is that chap a citroen fan & will he be joining the club?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

No, the le-mans interior is going on saturday, Rob who's bought the car had a BX TZD some time ago and after looking for another car, decided a BX might just fit the bill.
I've tried to direct him in this general direction, and he's says he's looked at the site. We'll have to wait and see. Very nice people though.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

David wrote:MOT Tester blokey mentioned about the limits of corrosion and did say that he would be very critical of any corrosion on hydraulic lines on a hydraulic Citroen, even power steering lines, due to the PAS using the same fluid as the brakes and hence a loss of fluid could be dangerous.
Although replacing pipes is a pain, you should actually be glad of that. It's good to see a tester who understands that an MoT is about making a car safe rather than just mindless application of the script - especially on an unconventional car like a BX.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I havent been underneath the car for a good 12 months so will find out friday, I already have the new pipes, but as the cars now out of MOT and the nearest volunteer is 90 miles away I need to get it road legal to allow me to get it done.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

tim leech wrote:I havent been underneath the car for a good 12 months so will find out friday, I already have the new pipes, but as the cars now out of MOT and the nearest volunteer is 90 miles away I need to get it road legal to allow me to get it done.
Do it yourself you lazy sod!! It's only a spanner and a bit of oil...........why rely on 'volunteers'....presumambly giving up their own free time :?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Bit harsh bandito.....

I know what a spanner looks like (I've even got a selection), can't confirm that i know how to use the things though :lol:
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

BX Bandit has a point I think. Tim, assuming you can't mend yourself, can you not pay someone in your garage to do it? By the time you've paid your fuel costs to get someone else to do it it'd probably be cheaper to get the lads in the workshop to do it, plus if the pipes are suspect and the car is rusty underneath* would it be safe to drive it.

*Which I seem to recall you said it was.
Vauxhall apologist.