16V Black 1990

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Wtf? Oh well, you can't say I didn't tell you four times now :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
charlie
BXpert

Post by charlie »

errrr

five times actually

a world record attempt

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
yes.....
the colour is....
guiness white..........
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Yes, erm, I blame it on a lack of alcohol as it goes.
Vauxhall apologist.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Seller has thus far failed to respond to my question of payment. I'd have thought cash on collection would be ok for all parties but aparentley not!

If you win it Ken, and you want the engine to be absolutley A1, I'll need the car for two weeks, and a fair wedge!

But I do build the best D6C anywhere on earth. Modesty would forbid, but it's true.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The seller has not responded and I am getting a feeling about this. Maybe it's not a good bet.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

It's usually a sign thet they're hiding something Phil. Probably hoping that if he ignores any questions and someone wins it he won't have to tell them about any problems the highest bidder will find. Personally speaking I wouldn't bother with it, another one with a genuine seller will turn up one day.
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I tend to agree. Anyone want to sell me a sorted 16v? :D
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

More information coming out of the woodwork. Sealed sunroof and other worrying additions in the Q/A's posted. I won't be going after this one methinks.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I'd go for it whatever the mechanics if it's cheap enough. Parts can be fixed, god knows mine needs it!

Only thing I'd walk away from is rot personally, or a hydraulic system full of holes. Two things my car has, but then I'm stuck with it :lol:

I wouldn't read too much into the lack of info or crap ad....he's clearly not the brightest penny in the tin and you might pass on a potential bargain for fear of being kinda over-cautious, if that makes sense? I'd buy it blind up to about £350 (cash on collection obviously, as you have the right to walk if it's not as described) , after that I'd want to look at it first.

I don't think its leaning either, its the camber of the road and angle of the shots.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

If there're people (and I know there are) out there who will help me through the first months of 16v ownership, I might follow your advice. Thing is, I don't want the sunroof all gummed up with mastic and I don't necessarily want an engine that needs work... but I will wait and see where the bidding goes.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Well I'm clearly not the mechanical genius that some on this forum are, but I've DIYed alot of stuff on my 16v (inc an engine rebuild!) so if you ever need help give us a shout.
The sunroof will just want unsealing and the pipes either clearing or replacing. The mech isn't too bad to do either, ask my dad....he just replaced the whole thing!

I just worry that if people hold out for a good one, they'll be dissapointed. The majority of cars are all the same these days, its just how honest the advert is that makes the difference in price.

Although the mint grey one I sold just over a year ago would have been ideal Phil :wink: In fact the black one we had was also a good'un, if a little tatty in places. Went like stink though :twisted:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

You are of course quite right Kitch, there aint many really good 16v's left, and those that are tend to be owned by people that wont sell them.

If you're really desperate for a totally perfect valver Phil, when I've finished restoring mine I'll let you have it for £50,000!

I'd be ok upto £350 blind for this car, if only for parts, but something is telling me there's something very wrong with this one.
I've bought two valvers off the bay in the last year, and both were sold by open honest people that satisfactorily answered everything I put to them. Thick or not, this guy seems to be holding back. Yes the car may not need too much to make it a good 'un, or it could be a dog. Quite how you can forget the sunroofs been sealed up seems very odd to me, unless the guys had a full frontal labotomy in the last couple of months.

This thing about "seeing a knock from the back, but sometimes ok" worrys me too.

Kitch is right again, having one with a rot free body is more important than anything else really. But I'll wager that it aint rot free, it's a G reg, and they rot, as do the H regs, why I dont know, but they do.
Ok, they all rot, and I've said before, you'll find rot on ANY BX you look at if you look in the right places, but the G and H reg valvers do seem to rust more.

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

You're right about the q and a section Phil. Spotted that earlier and seems funny how this virtually fault free car has now been discovered to have at least two more faults which the seller 'forgot' about. Mindful of how I word this but I'm pretty sure this car was relisted once or twice last time round and there were suspicions of schill bidding and avoiding key questions people had sent.
However if he really will let people view before committing I reckon it's the only possible way you could be sure of the car, if not any bid pattern.
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I have a nagging feeling that this is one I should ignore. Something's not right - and I know it's a bit unfair maybe - but the seller seems a bit dull of brain - not quite grasping what we - as potential buyers - might really appreciate from a description.... and what I really should hold out for is a 16v with good provenance and an enthusiast owner who will be delighted to point out good and bad points in detail.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Philip chidlow wrote:and what I really should hold out for is a 16v with good provenance and an enthusiast owner who will be delighted to point out good and bad points in detail.
The all-knowing god of valvers of the universe wrote:when I've finished restoring mine I'll let you have it for £50,000!
There will be no bad poinrs, at all, absolutley not one single bad point. Excpet the need to re-mortgage your house for it! :lol:

I *might* know of a good valver that *could* be for sale, but I'm going to try and talk the current owner out of it since I think that car should stay where it is. No offence to you Phil at all, I'm sure you'd give it a great home, but knowing the owner as little as I do, but enough to know he'd regret it if he let it go.

The last valver to sell tat needed a bit of work but not much, and was in generally good nick was Jezzie's.
I realy think if you want a valver, it's getting to the point where you either wait for an indefinite and potentially VERY long time for a good one from a proper enthusiast, or buy one cheap that needs work and prepare yourself for some bill's.
In all honesty I'd say there is only 25 REALLY good valvers left, and those are all owned by serious nutters that might part with them for seriousley large amounts of cash, but probably wont in all honesty.

Since they are getting a bit thin on the ground now you cant really afford to be oo picky. Look at valvers on the bay over the last couple of years, nearly all of them have been "well used" to be as polite as possible. Utter shite would be nearer the truth though, with very few exceptions.