The Citaerobics

Anything about BXs
ohms
Confirmed BX'er

The Citaerobics

Post by ohms »

I was driving along in the BX this morning when I looked down at the oddometer and it suddenly dawned on me that i'd covered 2500 miles since I finished the Hydraflush regime and switched back over to the green stuff. :)

It also dawned on me that it had been 2500 miles since I'd last done the citaerobics and more to the point even touched the height control lever.

This got me wondering about how often a round of the citaerobics should be carried out between LHM changes to prevent things seizing up etc.

What do you guys consider good practice for exercising the hydraulic system on your own BX's, and whether or not Citroen actually stipulated such a regime to keep things working as intended?

:D
1990 White BX TZD Turbo Estate (Boosted!)
1995 Black Mazda RX-7 Twin Turbo Bathurst Edition
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

It does it automatically when it sinks when standing.

I raise the car sometimes when I know I'm going to be waiting at traffic lights or other hold up.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I sometimes use the height control lever to keep myself entertained at traffic lights where I know there's a long red :oops: Watch the expressions on the faces of the people in the car behind you - great fun.
ohms
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ohms »

Unfortunately, my BX doesn't sink when standing, not even after a few days. In fact, since fitting the new spheres all round and carrying out the hyraflush and LHM change i've pressed the back end down after it hasn't been started for 3 days and it still rises back up to normal running height. :shock: :wink:
1990 White BX TZD Turbo Estate (Boosted!)
1995 Black Mazda RX-7 Twin Turbo Bathurst Edition
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I often play the traffic light roulette, which is a bit of a laugh and does indeed make people look at you in a very strange manner!

I also often leave the car in high when I go shopping or have anything to load/unload as it not only means less distance to bend down to get to the boot, but also the car doesn't move as you load/unload it.

It's made quite a difference. a year ago my front struts were reasonably stiff and jerky in operation. They're much smoother now.
this might be a signature
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

ohms wrote:Unfortunately, my BX doesn't sink when standing, not even after a few days.
It still should sink when you move height lever to low though :? .
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

ohms wrote:Unfortunately, my BX doesn't sink when standing, not even after a few days. In fact, since fitting the new spheres all round and carrying out the hyraflush and LHM change i've pressed the back end down after it hasn't been started for 3 days and it still rises back up to normal running height. :shock: :wink:
You're lucky and it shows the hydraulic system is now in vgc! My Bx's back end is on the deck in a few hours.

My mechanic recommended leaving the car parked in low overnight several times a week (or every night if you really wanted to) would be beneficial for creaky/stiff struts. I find normally the front suspension can still have pressure in it after three days parked, so it's a good way of giving the system regular exercise.

Mark.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

The GTs suspension seems to hold pressure very well, the back end sinks overnighgt but the front stays up for a good few days.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I found that when i put mine on low, the rear rose fine, but the front wouldnt shift!!!!

I tried it a few times including some extra revs, still wouldnt budge, looked like a dragster (arse in air).

I put some lhm in & tried it again & then the front rose. Bit strange as there was no STOP light on, perhaps it was a bit low on lhm??
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

It shouldn't rise if set to low it should stay down. Might indicate a sticking height corrector rod at the rear.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Just realised, what i typed could be misinterpreted, what i meant was after putting it in low, then putting it in high i had the dragster look.

However, your point about the corrector linkage sticking is also true, as the rear of the car went bouncy, bouncy, couldnt go faster than 30 as was in fear of going off the road....
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

If it's the front not rising then it's the front height corrector linkage thats sticking. :? And the front bounces dramatically on the wishbones until you get some pressure back in the struts. :shock:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The height correctors and their linkages benefit from thorough lubrication. I use oil cans (chain saw oil which seems to hang around longer than engine oil), grease (and a brush for application) and spray grease. The back one is easy - the front is not - at least on a Turbo diesel.

Its important to get the grease on the rod going into the corrector - which is the difficult bit on the front one.

LHM is completely useless for this purpose - it runs away and evaporates in no time.

Unless the height is correct the ride will be bumpy. It will NOT need adjustment unless the linkage has been disturbed.
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

The front didn't bounce, it was the rear, just the front didnt want to rise up. Lubricating it sounds like a good idea, will need to have a look at haynes to see if i can work out what to do....