Temporary Insurance

Anything about BXs
demag
BXpert

Temporary Insurance

Post by demag »

I read on here somewhere the other day that someone insured a car for a day to collect it.

How does that work then? Do you still have to fill 20 forms out? 8)
charlie
BXpert

Post by charlie »

sounds like it'll cost a fortune :shock:

my own insurance lets me to drive any other car, albeit on a third party only cover

have you checked ur own insurance cause i think this clause is pretty standard
yes.....
the colour is....
guiness white..........
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I've done that myself to collect my 19txd, it cost £9.45 & lasted 24hrs.

Their link is below:

http://www.ecarinsurance.co.uk

Then click on the Short Term Cover section & fill out the online details like you would for any type of quote.

Reason i did that was i was still insured on my other BX & didnt want the hassle of changing it over if i wasnt actually going to buy the car afterall & then having to change it back. I'm sure my insurer would have charged me some money for creating all this extra admin for nothing & i can guarantee it would have been more than £10....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

There are loads of temporary cover sites online, I just google them. Usually about £15.

Gotta remember if you're 3rd party on other vehicles, thats usually only valid if the car in question is insured itself.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
nstarmore
BXpert

Post by nstarmore »

I used single day insurance when I collected my BX. Just called up Direct Line (who insure my Xantia) and asked them, they did it all over the phone (no paperwork at all) and charged about £15 for the privilege. Got a document in the post 2 days later as proof of insurance for that day in case something happened, couldn't have been easier tbh.
Nic

- 1995 Xantia SX TD (daily hack)
- 1987 BX 16V (project)
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Kitch wrote:Gotta remember if you're 3rd party on other vehicles, thats usually only valid if the car in question is insured itself.
I have yet to see this in writing from any insurer anywhere. I queried it with both of my current insurers, and both of them stated that the other car need not have insurance active on it.

What they did both state in categoric terms is that the other car which I would be driving on 3rd party extension must not be owned by me, registered to me, rented to me, leased to me or anything of that nature. It MUST be owned by and registered to someone else.

3rd party extension is fairly standard on fully comprehensive policies, but generally only for over 25's. (and in some cases only over 30's)
this might be a signature
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

That's amazing I was always under the impression the second car had to be insured as well as registered by a third party.

So in effect if I wanted to pick a car up from Fred Bloggs, providing it's legal and registered to him but not insured, I can still drive it on my own insurance under third party cover.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

demag wrote:So in effect if I wanted to pick a car up from Fred Bloggs, providing it's legal and registered to him but not insured, I can still drive it on my own insurance under third party cover.
Depends. Have you just bought it? If so, then no, as you're the owner of the car. The fact that it's not registered to you yet is irrelevant. If monies have changed hands, then it's your car.

The point of the 3rd party extension is so that if I'm a passenger in a car and the driver is taken ill / feels tired / is drunk, I can legally drive it. Likewise, I can move a friends car for them, or drive my mothers car when I'm at home. What I cannot do (and what some young drivers have been known to do) is insure a 750cc panda as my own, and then drive around in a subaru imprezza turbo on the 3rd party extension. Even if said Subaru is registered to someone else, it's clearly "My" car, as I bought it, and I'm always driving it.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Ah! Yes good point. I was ahead of myself there.

So we're back to the temporary insurance then for a just purchased car. Still cheap at 15-20 quid a day though.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

My temporary insurance was FULLY COMP, so not sure why everyone is paying over the odds for tpft cover???

If the other car doesnt have insurance, then you cant insure yourself 3rd party on it, otherwise everyone would be doing something dodgy as mentioned by David...

I don't believe an insurer would actually have said that it was ok, well i do, as some staff don't know what they are on about. Dont take the risk?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think the confusion with the 3rd party extension to a policy is the question of when the car is being driven -- so you lend me your car - I'm insured while I'm in it driving it - but when I leave it while I'm at work for 8 hours - am I driving it? - if I'm not there-s an uninsured car at the side of the road.

No good asking anyone working in insurance - they have their own strange understanding of the law which basically involves taking premiums and not paying out - or even producing policy paperwork. Seems they can't even understand that they have to pay out after a flood.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

MULLEY wrote:If the other car doesnt have insurance, then you cant insure yourself 3rd party on it,
Yes, you can. Have a read of your policy documentation. Find the section where it says that for your 3rd party extension to be valid the other vehicle must have an insurance policy active on it.
MULLEY wrote:I don't believe an insurer would actually have said that it was ok
Well they did, and I know that they didn't just guess or make it up on the spot because I pressed the point, and a member of the legal group from my actual underwriter (not just the broker or call centre) called me back to tell me exactly what the legal position was:

When you're sat in the car, it's insured. The moment you get out of the car it is uninsured. Even if you get out of the car to fill it with fuel, it is no longer insured. If you left it parked at the side of the road, then you would be liable for leaving an uninsured vehicle on the road.

So, if I get into the vehicle on private land, drive to my destination and leave it on private land again, it would indeed be legal.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Thats a ridiculous rule! If this is what some insurance companies are preeching, then they must use the same clowns who work out the risk assesment!

So, you've borrowed a friend's car and you're driving down the road. You stop suddenly to avoid an obstruction. The pensioner behind who's reaction time is 14times slower than a safe driver fails to stop and hits you. Your car is immobilised. The police stop it all taking place. They ask you to step out of the vehicle. Now you've left an uninsured car on the road and you're liable.

Or what if you get pulled for a "random" breath test? Get asked to step out of the vehicle and bam!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

David, you make some interesting points, i'm not going to start disagreeing with you as you've clearly been told some information from an insurer.

From a common sense point of view (my perspective only of course), it makes sense that you can only be insured 3rd party on another persons car as long as that car is insured, otherwise everyone would be insuring a panda & driving a ferrari cheaply.

Your 2nd point sounds absolutely bonkers to me (not a personal criticism to yourself), how many uninsured cars are there in the country on this technicality??? I've never heard of anyone being uninsured this way.

This is all a bit academic to me anyway, as i always have fully comp insurance that enables me to drive other peoples cars 3rd party, & i know they have valid insurance....

An interesting subject this, & it clearly shows that insurers are crap with some saying its ok, whilst others (i think Norwich Union) have legal wording to make you uninsured if you try it....