The wheel questions

Anything about BXs
toddao
BXpat

The wheel questions

Post by toddao »

Hello,
Does anyone know the length and type of wheel bolts necessary to fit 'Metric' alloys as the standard ones are too short?

And also, while on the subject ( I know this has been discussed before)
what is the procedure for fitting the Peugeot 205 alloys on a BX GTI. Do they go straight on or is there fiddling required? It's these ones I'm talking about -

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... otohosting

My knowledge of wheels and tyres is scanty and I've been asleep at the back of the class when it's cropped up on the forum! Cheers
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

You may have trouble with alloys fitting over the wheel locating spikes in the back hubs. They are in fact a disc retaining screw - and unscrew - and can be replaced with a normal countersunk screw as you will find in the other hole.

Nice table of bolt specs in the Krooklok catalogue - under Krooklok here:

http://www2.qha.com/catalogues.asp
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

The only problems you may have Todd is that Mk1s rear arches where slimmer than a MK2, so fiitting wider wheels is a bit hit and miss. As yours is a estate you may be ok. You will have no problems fitting metrci Mk1 alloys but finding a set will be hard!

Has anyone tried fitting 16v wheels to a Mk1? (im not planning to on the GT)
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for replies fellas!
I have a set of Metric alloys which are destined for the TRD, not the estate which already has its beloved white Swift 2s. I'm gradually getting the TRD ready for its TÜV and taking the yellow beast off the road for a full service.

The question about the Peugeot alloys relates to a friend's GTI - I thought I'd pose the question. Would they fit then?
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

The GTi wheels should fit ok but be warned these solid centre type require balancing on the car (tricky and more expensive plus not as many places can do it), and the GTi 1.9 wheels are not only better looking but also can be balanced 'as per normal' off the car.
Vauxhall apologist.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

The GTi wheels should fit ok but be warned these solid centre type require balancing on the car (tricky and more expensive plus not as many places can do it), and the GTi 1.9 wheels are not only better looking but also can be balanced 'as per normal' off the car.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

the TRD will be THE "accesoiree" car then Todd! Youve gotta bring that to the CCC this year! :D
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

1.9 GTi alloys do fit ok but sometimes with minor rubbage of the rear arch when it's on low (depending on the state of your rear arm bearings). Although mk1's have a smaller outer lip on the arch, I'm pretty sure the internal lip is the same.
1.6 GTi alloys fit straight on no problem. The centre cap is fixed as Billy says, although most places these days have no problem with them in my experience (all Saxo VTR/VTS alloy wheels are the same setup, and there are 100,000's of those around!). I think I had a problem once where I took it to some old school dodgey looking place who balanced the wheels by spinning them by hand :shock:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)