1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

You should be able to pick up a 1.6 petrol as cheap as chips as they are probably one of the least favoured, just the ticket :D.

Let us know how you get on with some piccies of said beast & lpg conversion, must be very few lpg BX's on the road....
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: Running a BX on LPG

Post by DavidRutherford »

Kevin B wrote:By comparison diesel oil has a higher calorific value than petrol which is part of the reason why a diesel car will be more economical than a comparable petrol engine car.
Just had to make that cheeky edit. It's true, but it's not the only reason.

.. and in actual fact, it's only true if you're considering calorific value per unit volume. If you compare calorific value per unit mass, the figures for petrol and Diesel are somewhat more similar, as Diesel is somewhat more dense than petrol.

Vegetable oil has the same issues again. It's slightly more dense than mineral Diesel fuel, and has a lower calorific value per unit mass than Diesel fuel. If I remember correctly, Diesel fuel can be anywhere between 42Mj/Kg and 44Mj/Kg, whereas Veg oil is around 37Mj/Kg.

But of course you can get more Kg's of Veg oil in your tank than you can Diesel fuel.
this might be a signature