Another silly question?

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Another silly question?

Post by Philip Chidlow »

How impossible is it to get hold of a 16v radiator? Or am I not being sensible about this.... maybe GSF have one?!

Anyway, if anyone has a watertight one that they want to sell to me let me know... Honestly, I'd buy new if I could but I reckon it'd be hard to find one.

Not got a serious leak, it's at looking rather old with green deposit over it's flanks and bottom (so to speak) and it is possible weeping a bit somewhere. After a run there's a distinct hot coolant smell from the front of the car.

Oh, and while we're at it... hoses, I know are hard to find, but these all look OK - fingers crossed!

Finally, assuming I get the rad, does anyone fancy a trip over to help me (or to be realistic - me to help you) fit it!?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Didnt kitch ask the same thing and get one cheap through ECP?
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

OKay this time you are kind of asking a silly question, as a 3 second search on ebay reveals;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=005

a brand new rad for £95! I Paid £120 for my last rad (albeit it copper so has a weigh in value :D) so i'd say your onto a winner here, and before you worry about it surviving i've bought a number of rads from ebay now and so long as you stick to those who sell lots of rad regular then they tend to turn up in perfect condition (we have ham fisted posties round here too).

As for the other silly question, a rad is a doddle to swap (though a valver needs care when bleeding) and you can do it yourself with minimal tooling.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

:oops: OK I'm a bit silly... GSF have one listed too at £76 plus VAT and if they have one I can pick it up from my very local GSF branch.... I just thought looking on eBay for 16v bits might be fruitless.

How wrong I am.

Vanny, and others, I am but a neophyte regarding the elevated world of 16v ownership :lol: :lol: :lol:

So cut me some slack :D
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

GSF may have them listed but make sure they will actually sell you one first.
Since here in Bristol they were happy to take my money for a new rad, then 3 days later informed me they couldn't get one.
Got a genuine for less than GSF wanted anyway...

As for changing it, you need a 10mm socket / spanner, a screwdriver to undo the jubilee clips and, er, thats yer lot!
Although you will need a spanner (about 24mm IIRC) to remove the fan switch, although, if you are changing the rad do the right thing and fit a 3 pin diesel switch.

As Vanny said though, bleeding needs to be done carefully, they can be a pig to bleed properly, although much easier if you pressurise the system.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I got mine from ECP for about £70. It was a genuine one in a non-gen box and fitted straight in no problem. Happy days!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)