BX16v How much is it worth???

Anything about BXs
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

BX16v How much is it worth???

Post by pinfold »

i have just had my 16v written off by a painter and decorater, peforming a silly u-turn!!!!

So, i am now in negotiations with my insurance company as to how much the 16v is worth.

The car is very clean and tidy, suffers a little from the fading paint, but how many dont! and has done 80k miles.

It has 9 months mot, new tyres, new alternator, i had just done the acumalator sphere, cleaned out and replaced hydraulic fluid, in short it was running mint before this happened?

Can anyone shine some light????

On this weeks trader i notice models ranging from $400 to £1995!!!!

Any proof for the insurance co would be grateful, as i would like to actually buy the car back off the insurance co, and if nothing less, offer it back to club members for parts rather than it beeing squashed

Pinfold
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

£850-£1000 maybe. Depends how much expensive stuff has been done recently (spheres, pipes, rear arm bearings, radiator, cam belt etc.) If you have recent bills it all helps.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Whilst the price guide is useful, how many valvers have sold for over £1K in the last two or three years?
Not many!

I'd Philip is on the money really, good nick car, £1K tops.

I rather suspect things like recent tyres, and indeed any mechanical parts changed will have little or no bearing on what the insurance company will value it as.

How bad is the damage?

Piccies?

Are we talking economic write off, or cubed write off?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Remember when you're dealing with the insurance company to ask enough. You can always accept less but can't get more than you've asked for.

I'd find out as much as I could about the really expensive ones - and try and justify my valuation from then. If they don't like it (which they won't) ask them to find you another car as good. As its under £5000 if you claim in the County Court you'll go under the small claims procedure which while a bore and rather hard work - has the benefit that no costs are awarded unless you're a troublemaker (basically).

Insurance companies will have to instruct Solicitors - so are in for say £200 or more per hour (+ VAT) so will not want to get involved - and will bear that in mind when considering an offer.

Your claim is in fact with the driver. The insurance company step into his shoes (subrogation) and conduct the proceedings on his behalf.

Your answer to anything should be oh well - looks like I'll have to go to the County Court doesn't it!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Do your homework and if the car is still in your posession then clean and polish it to within an inch of it's life. Inside/outside/underneath/engine bay the works and pull out any receipts you can find for it.
The insurance actually use Autotrader to determine the price now and if you don't get what you want argue like mad and get a good solicitor involved. Mine has been brilliant after Direct Liars tried to rip me off twice. Don't expect an easy ride, because I'm afraid you won't get one, but fight it all the way and get what you are due for the car.
Vauxhall apologist.
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pinfold »

I cant thank you all enough, it looks like you have given me some sound advice and trust me i will be going for gold, as i want to keep her running.

They have just offered me £500 quid, which is far to low!

And then want to charge me £150 to scrap it, its really done my head in

after you take the excees off as well, they want to give me £150!!!!

You know, this twirp gave me a bad neck for an evening, and i didnt even put in for whiplash! to then be offered £150 is an insult.

The only good thing so far, is that the guy who valued the car siad he could find another one to value it against, so it looks my quirky red 16v is quite unique!!!

I will let you all know the outcome, but my idea if it does get scrapped is to buy back to either repair or offer back to members for parts, as i know how hard parts can be.

Oh i had a new alternator at christmas, and two new front tyres!!
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Dont accept that low payout, will insurance companies actually offer to replace your car instead of giving you cash? that might work out better for you if they do, that way you could get a blinda of a motor as a replacement....
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

He already has a blinder of a car, the man has a valver. Dont get no better than that!

Are you able to post some piccies of the damage mate?

I have little doubt that Chevron towers houses enough bits to make it straight again.
Although after the cow killed my valver I am rather lacking in P2 bumpers, but have everything else.

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Valver for Valver replacment, thats what i was on about....
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Where the hell are an insurance company going to find a valver though?
Especially one in the same condition (pre crash obvioulsey)??

I've repaired some pretty wrecked cars in the past, cut and shut a speciality!

MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

E-bay :lol:
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I guess that'd be a novel idea actually.
Insurers bidding on the bay...
"We may have a replacement car for you on Tuesaday at 2110hours sir.... ah bugger, we've been outbid by LeeJoker"...
I can see it now...

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, theres a 16v on eBay at the moment and if I were you I wouldn't draw attention to it.... :wink:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

pinfold wrote:They have just offered me £500 quid, which is far to low! And then want to charge me £150 to scrap it, its really done my head in
I trust you are claiming from the other person's insurance rather than your own?

The offer of £500 doesn't surprise me at all. Of course you reject it. Either insist that they offer £2000, or they repair the car. Bear in mind that there are people specifically employed by insurance companies to reduce the payouts they make. They'll make the claim hell, but can be forced to be reasonable.

Given that it was the other person's fault, you should get paid out without any losses. the charge for scrapping the car is utter bollocks, and your excess should be claimed back too. I'd warn them that if they don't make a satisfactory offer, you'll be instructing a solicitor to act on your behalf, and they will have an even bigger bill.

Have they provided you with a courtesy car while yours is off the road? If not, you can go out and hire a car, and charge it to the other persons insurance. A daily charge for a hire car often focuses the mind of the insurance company and means they actually sort it out now rather than in a month's time.

All insurance companies are bastards, and I wish you luck!
this might be a signature