Database Link ADSL Glitches

Anything about BXs
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Database Link ADSL Glitches

Post by CitroXim »

Since the new Database Server has been in operation, I've noticed a few short-duration outages on the ADSL link between the Web Server and the Database Server.

I apologise for the inconvenience this is causing and I'm investigating. At the moment I'm not sure if the modem or my ISP is at fault. Shortly, I'll be replacing the modem as a precaution to eliminate that.

I will advise when the link will need to come down (for about 15 minutes) to swap modems.

Please let me know any incidences of the link going down.

Again, apologies and rest assured I'm on to it.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Hi Jim,

In case it helps, I've had the following message a few times:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'eastment.net' (10060) in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\bxclub.co.uk\httpdocs\forum\db\mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\bxclub.co.uk\httpdocs\forum\db\mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\bxclub.co.uk\httpdocs\forum\db\mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error
1991 BX19GTi Auto
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I have no idea at all about what the hell you're on about, but can report that access has been spot on since the change over here in Brizzle!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

jonkw wrote:I'm getting some strange short term outages as well Jim, I know we are both with Pipex so.............
Yep, we're not the only ones to see a few glitches on pipex Jon :( Everyone I know who has Pipex are experiencing much the same.. Shame as Pipex used to have a reputation of being totally reliable.

Still, I have a nice shiny new modem/router here (One of the best/expensive Netgear ones) ready to go. I'll do that tomorrow as I have to set it up first.

Way2go, that's the forum front end saying it's lost connectivity with the database. A bit long-winded to say a simple thing but that's IT for you :lol:

The outages have so far been for a couple of minutes or so at a time and looking at my logs, my router did not see them, it did not appear to reboot or retrain so the problem could well be downstream from here. Still, the new modem router will at least eliminate one potential cause.

Doc, you have to be using the forum at just the right (or wrong) time to see the outages ...
Jim

docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Ah, I see, now it all makes pipex sense, er, I think........ :?
Either way, it's great to be able to post again and not lose the will to live so a big thank you from Chez Docco's!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

citrojim wrote: Way2go, that's the forum front end saying it's lost connectivity with the database. A bit long-winded to say a simple thing but that's IT for you :lol:
Thanks Jim, appreciate the info, it relieves some pain to know what is going on. Mainly though things have been working Hunky-Dory and its a pleasure to see pages coming up in a second rather than the minimum of the minutes it took before you applied your knowledge and waved your magic wand. :D

Good luck with the gearbox, it sounds as if you & Jon have that well in hand!
1991 BX19GTi Auto
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks from me too, and probably everyone else on here as well.
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

can't say i've noticed any problems here, at long last some progress towards stability!

CitroJim, be careful with netgear kit and Vista, netgear and microsoft don't seem to be playing nice at the moment, i had a perfectly working matching card and router, perfectly working until microsoft released an update to vista and killed the net gear card off :( Got a D-Link N-type adapter now, and it flys!

Are you running a proxy at all or just the router?
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Vanny wrote:Are you running a proxy at all or just the router?
No worries there Vanny :D

I'm just running it as a straight router/NAT firewall and configuring it through a normal browser session. It is doing the minimum possible, not even working as a DHCP server.

All the heavy stuff is done on my server...

Vista. I may just get my very first look at it next week. I'm not an early adopter me, I've only just started to trust XP and Win2K3 server :lol: :lol:
Jim