Breaking: Citroen BX 19 TGD Gunmetal Grey Estate G Reg

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Galahad

Breaking: Citroen BX 19 TGD Gunmetal Grey Estate G Reg

Post by Galahad »

Hello all, rather than simply take this to the crusher on Monday, I thought I'd offer any parts off it before it goes.

Picked it up today from Swindon. Owner put fresh oil in it 3 weeks ago, then for some reason the thing wouldn't start two days later.

Glowplug light comes up and out fine, diesel is getting to the pump, starter works fine, the thing just doesn't want to fire up.

Was going to keep it as a runaround, my old man had a 1.4 RE BX and a 1.9 RD Estate years ago, and I quite liked them, but I've tried everything to keep from scrapping this car, so instead I offer parts *CHEAP*

Car is in the Bath Avon area, if there is anything you need, please contact me via galahadfairlight@yahoo.co.uk , I'd much rather bits went to a good home rather than scrap it as is.

And I mean cheap chaps.

Cheers
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Anyone out there going to save it? Please?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Did you check the fuel cut off solenoid?
They think it's all over, it is now!
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

First thought that came to me, Ken! I reckon you're 90+% likely to be right.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

The other usual problem with a diesel not starting I've found, is the owners have put petrol in by mistake :twisted:
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Rather than scrapping, and thus wasting this car, why not just put it on eBay, with £1 start and no reserve. Once it's sold, it's then someone else's responsibility to come and collect, you don't have to worry about it any more, someone gets a cheap car, and you make a few tenners into the bargain.

Just as a question, on the same subject, where there any Estate MK1 BX's sold in the UK?
this might be a signature
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Yes
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

ken newbold wrote:Did you check the fuel cut off solenoid?
Can you tell me where this is?
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

ken newbold wrote:The other usual problem with a diesel not starting I've found, is the owners have put petrol in by mistake :twisted:
Definately Diesel in it as I pulled off the fuel line and checked the pump was working and out came a splurge of Diesel.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

DavidRutherford wrote:Rather than scrapping, and thus wasting this car, why not just put it on eBay, with £1 start and no reserve. Once it's sold, it's then someone else's responsibility to come and collect, you don't have to worry about it any more, someone gets a cheap car, and you make a few tenners into the bargain.

Just as a question, on the same subject, where there any Estate MK1 BX's sold in the UK?
My old mans 19RD Estate was a D reg
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Sounds like a dirty contact in the blue glowplug relay, try running (carefully) a Hot wire from battery positive to the glowplugs for ten seconds and then cranking it.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Stewart (oily!) wrote:Sounds like a dirty contact in the blue glowplug relay, try running (carefully) a Hot wire from battery positive to the glowplugs for ten seconds and then cranking it.
Stewart
Cheers will give it a go, and the fuel cut off solenoid?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Fuel cut off solendiod is situated on the pump itself, you'll see a hexagonal shaped device with a single wire going to it.

If it's a bosch pump, they're very difficult to get out, so disconnect the wire, stow safely, put ignition on and touch the wire onto the terminal, you should be able to hear the little plunger click as it rises and falls each time you touch it on.

If it's a Lucas pump, same procedure but they're easy to get out, take care not to loose the small spring and plunger which seats underneath in the fuel flow. You can refit the solenoid without the spring and plunger, car should start but will not switch off at the key. You'll need to pull the manual stop on the pump.

Good luck.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Shame you`re so far away. I`m not the greatest mechanic (ask Vanny!) but would have ben willing to come down and take a look at it.
I think the eBay idea is probably the best option if you can`t get it running-someone will buy it off you!
Vauxhall apologist.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Fuel pump solenoid clicks as described when disconnected and touched against contact.

Tried the positive to glowplug connector and that didn't work.

Jump leads from Astra to Citroen, engine cranks over at a decent speed, just won't fire.