Breaking: Citroen BX 19 TGD Gunmetal Grey Estate G Reg

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

This may sound like a daft question, but have you checked the timing belt. i.e. still in one piece.

Also was it a bosch or lucas pump.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Galahad

Exhaust fumes

Post by Galahad »

When trying to turn her over, there is exhaust smoke coming out the back, which would suggest combustion, I'm at a loss as to why if there is combustion, there is no attempt by the car to start?!?!?
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

ken newbold wrote:This may sound like a daft question, but have you checked the timing belt. i.e. still in one piece.

Also was it a bosch or lucas pump.
Did check cambelt, was slightly loose but in one piece, and it was a bosch pump.

I will check cambelt again in case its stripped teeth off the belt and the timing is out.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

When you hotwired the glow plugs did you get a spark off the wire.

You may need to disconnect the wire linking the plug and test each one with the hotwire method, if it sparks it probably ok. if not its dead.

Also you could try losening the injector pipes at the injector end to make sure fuel is getting through.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If you have a Bosch pump the leakoff pipes become important - any damaged ones and air gets into the pump - an can prevent starting and allow occasional firing - sometimes fuel being burnt off the glowplugs .

jeremy
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Checked cambelt again, its fine.

Checked tank and there is definately diesel in there, though the gauge I think is faulty because it say the car is nearly empty, yet the diesel is nearly half way up the sender.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

ken newbold wrote:When you hotwired the glow plugs did you get a spark off the wire.

You may need to disconnect the wire linking the plug and test each one with the hotwire method, if it sparks it probably ok. if not its dead.

Also you could try losening the injector pipes at the injector end to make sure fuel is getting through.
I did wonder that, there was definately no spark from positive to glowplugs (glowplug cable being the black one that links each one in line unless I've got the wrong one).
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

You've got it. No spark at all. no glow plugs.

It seems they've all failed.

I've only come across this once before, turned out the blue box/relay had stuck and burnt them out.

Check the relay does cut out after given time, you'll hear it clunk after about 20-30 seconds.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

That would just be absolutely typical. I scrapped a crash damaged Peugeot 205 Diesel last week :cry:
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Bugger! How much are glow plugs these days anyhoo?
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Thanks for the help chaps, someone offered me £50 for her so I let them take it away. Its going to be a donor by all accounts.

Cheers again.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :shock: :(
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

At least you had a go!

I'm still coming to grips with the fact that someone has purchased my Audi 100 for spares. A little tatty but a solid car with tax and mot until next summer and it's been bought for the passenger door!

A shame but then it was a thoroughly dull car.

Ian
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I wouldn't be too sad. It was a 247,000 mile car.... and wore every mile!