BX16v How much is it worth???

Anything about BXs
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Pinfold, nobody likes ambulance chasing conmen lawyers but if you want the details of a VERY good Cheshire based solicitor let me know. He got me getting on for about £400 more for my car when it was written off and then got Direct Liars to cough up when one of their customers ran into the back of me on a seperate occasion in another car. He's really good, doesn't try and claim for spurious cases and gets results everytime.
Vauxhall apologist.
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pinfold »

Thanks for that cavmad, and the others, (i have never had such a response from the forum before!)

Im not quite up to solicitors yet,but will keep it mind.

I am gooing to go down the route that Jonkw suggested with the practical classic magazine, which does indeed categorise my 16v as a classic, and values it up to £1500 pound.

As to the value of a 16v,! How long is a peice of string, on autotrader at present is a 1.9 TDG for £1295 and a 1600 for £1995, and tdg seem quite common compared to the 16v

So we will have to see! Cant see the insurance company paying that out yet.

As for car hire, i am borrowing a pug 406 HDI, at the mo and will probably buy one over the next week to run round in, whilst i sort my life Out!

thanks for your comments lads and lasses

Matt
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Keep your foot down hard on this one mate, I work with insurers and know how they operate. What company you with?
I imagine they'll eventually offer a cash in lieu deal and let you keep the car.

Mines far from mint, it just looks a bit shiney if you mop it (same as yours would). The last part of the this link might be useful to you as ammo, and I've got a copy of it if it helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVWmmo_c0hA
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Normally, I stay out of BX values due to living half a planet away, but in this case, it might be interesting to use this.

Take a look here on eBay Australia.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... EF:AU:1123

That's got nothing to do with UK prices you say??
WRONG!!

That car was sold to a guy in the UK who intended having it shipped back to England. Paypal tried to screw this guy over, so they went ahead with the deal privately on a Bank Transfer and to my knowledge, it has been shipped across, somewhere near well knmown 16V owner DanielB lives as he was trying to find out who the new owner was.

So there's a price that should make the Insurance Wally's head spin!!
Live rates at 2008.03.10 21:53:30 UTC
5,856.56 AUD

=

2,674.99 GBP
Australia Dollars United Kingdom Pounds
Remember to add to the above, freight plus all the usual Government taxes and charges - very expensive motor cars these 16Vs :shock: :lol:

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

jonkw wrote:That indeed is most interesting Alan, if that really is coming back to the UK, what with freight and taxes and the like.

TBH I am at a bit of a loss as to why. I mean, from my point of view it's a 148BHP Cat car (less desirable) with over 100k miles on the clock that was actually built in Oct 1992. Granted, it probably won't need the front and rear inner wings welded up like we do here, but even so, £2600 quid for a BX?
From this side of the fence, it's not all that hard to follow.

Park an Ozzie car alongside one from the UK.
From the outside, the Oz cars plastic will be pretty sad looking unless you have a car like mine that is constantly in dry (out of sunlight) storage whereas I've seen pics of Trs that still look like new inside from over there, as opposed to being a bowl of dust that used to be plastic over here.
Then lift the bonnet. UK cars, white rust, red rust general grotty scum over most of the major components.

Then look under; everything covered in crappy residue and rust and even in fairly new cars, everything looks corroded. This is often exaggerated in pics, but still there's a big difference when we see it in the flesh.
Rusted in bolts and nuts etc are a constant problem yet by comparison, here's what a BX16V (mine) rear h/c and surrounding area looked like at around 14 years of age.

So for anyone serious about doing a full restoration as in restoring back to "as new" this would be the cheapest option.
Also IIRC, the year that car was made, also in 1992 according to Harry Prinz, only 380 cars (16Vs) were built, and of these, a half dozen were specials built for Peter McLeod who was racing them successfully in Oz but to comply with regs, they had to be minus sunroofs, so TZi bodies were used and the skirts and stuff added on the assembly line.
It's also interesting to note that these days, there's possibly more Oz cars being imported into the UK than vice versa for many of the above condition reasons and especially in Traction and D series, so much so in fact that the locals are getting a bit restless at how difficult it is these days to find a D for sale due to the exports which when you think, not all that many Ds were sold out here in comparison with over there says something of the way cars last bodywise in this environment.
Our cars rarely seem to see the big mileages yours do due to us having a 100/110 kph speed limit and the centralisation of the place (sounds stupid given the size of the joint but true) due to the majority of the population living up the east coast and only a short distance to most attractions, coupled with a crappy road system that doesn't encourage long trips. although being a masochist, I seem to be able to do more than my share.
As far as this thing about the "less popular" cat fitted version is concerned. We expected great things from the series one non catted car when we got it, but to be honest, either my car is a very well tuned one or the series one wasn't, but even after the new engine went into the series one complete with oversized valves and what have you, there was really no discernable difference in performance and on that point we all agreed. So whether they did anything else to the export models I can't say.
My guess is however that this car was bought by a car collector rather than a Citroen enthusiast and as such, he would have been more interested in the general condition and its rarity rather than whether or not it had a cat.
He was determined that nobody but nobody was going to win it but him and would have paid more if need be I understand during postings on a thread relating to the time Pay pal tried it on which was why he entered into a private agreement and yes, he did settle, it wasn't a scammer who was involved. :wink:

Alan S

P.S. Jon, I'll respond to your PM first chance I get. Been pretty off colour for a while, so limited time on the net.
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

one hting to bear in mind is the value oif the car in spares!
Spoox componants ad has an Mi engine at £650, loom at £150 and box at £150, so the base offer they have offered qwouldnt even buy you an engine from spoox!
due to milage yours will have a little more value on it than anythign over 100k (most 16v's left now!!) and i personally wouldnt stump for anything less then a grand!
red paint fades like mad so dont worry too much, half a day with me and it'll look like its just come out the showroom! but a good idea if you know an assesor is due around to give it a quick polish up just to add to the overall first impression!
there are so few redily available to act as proof of price that using autotrader and ebay may not work!
just stand your ground and explain that to get one in the same condition with the milage etc will cost a premium and accept no less!
if you can buy it back then do as if you dont choose to repair it then you can break it for spares if needs be! you'll easilyu make your excess back on it and could double it!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pinfold »

Got £1100 quid

Parctical classic mag did the trick!

Presently stripping down in preperation for surgery.

Bought it back!
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

That's good work. You could buy two others for that and keep that for spares. But I understand the appeal of re-building the beast. Good luck!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Excellent. !!! Get the camera out for us ogglers.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Splendid stuff!

Thats a really good price, well done!
Having seen the piccies of the damage it didn't warrant being scrapped, it was far too good for that.
Glad it's going back together.
If you need any bits, let me know.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pinfold »

But i have saved the best to last!

as my run arround til i get the 16v sorted i have just bought a 1986
Citroen Visa (Gti) 115ch with some added extras.

Its a go cart! Great fun

:twisted:
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I am sooooooo jealous.

What extras? What colour? Any pics? And HTF did you find one?!!!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

pinfold wrote:Citroen Visa (Gti) 115ch with some added extras.
Oh wow 8) A 205GTi in very classy and attractive disguise. An ideal complement to a valver in fact.

Ultra rare and very, very desirable :D

My kind of car that, a bit different and hiding under the guise of an ordinary car. A Q-car just like the Activa and the valver :lol: Enjoy it and love it :P
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

Nice going Pinfold. Where are you in Cheshire? You can't be too far from me...
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...