Suspension on highest setting for dismantling

Anything about BXs
mtbxathena
Confirmed BX'er

Suspension on highest setting for dismantling

Post by mtbxathena »

Evening all. Is it possible to set the suspension on its highest setting and somehow block off the pipes on all 4 corners to allow me to dismantle my written off BX. After running the engine to achieve the maximum hight I am going to start by taking the engine out and hopefully remove all the suspension and brake pipes discs and callipers. Apart from being better to work on it will make life easier for anyone that wants to take away whats left. Regards, Mick.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

You can in fact put the car on high, and remove the engine and gearbox and the car should stay in high.

I'm a bit confused as to how you intend to keep the car in "high" if you are going to remove the suspension and pipes though??
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

It probably doesn't need saying, but don't ever get under a Citroen on high without supporting it. They can drop without warning.

A friend of mine was killed this way (working under an improperly supported Triumph Toledo) - don't let it happen to you.
mtbxathena
Confirmed BX'er

Keeping suspension on high.

Post by mtbxathena »

Hi All. I just wanted to know if someone else had blocked off the pipes at each strutt when the suspension was on its highest setting to keep the pressure in. Thankyou all for stressing the importance of supporting the vehicle whilst working or even looking under any of our cars. Regards, Mick.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

They normally drop through leakage at the the height correctors - and in the case of the rear suspension - the brake valve.

So if the struts don't leak - sealing the pipes might work (how I don't know)

Easier to jam it up with blocks of wood?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I'd still use axle stands etc. It'd be madness to do this kind of work without proper safety measures in place mate.
Vauxhall apologist.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Given that you can buy a pair of axle stands for £7.99, is it really worth messing about with the hydraulics when £15.98 fixes the problem and is significantly safer?
this might be a signature
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

DavidRutherford wrote:Given that you can buy a pair of axle stands for £7.99, is it really worth messing about with the hydraulics when £15.98 fixes the problem and is significantly safer?
The axle stands will be needed anyway while bodging the suspension to stay up!

I'm confused though, how are you going to remove the suspension and hubs etc if all the suspension is bodged in their extended positions. It all seems fraught with an unnecessary mess of LHM and you don't want it squirting in your eye either!
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

... plus of course you have to dismantle the front suspension to get the driveshafts out, in order to get the engine/box out.

Strikes me that this plan is about as good when Baldrick says "My lord, I have a cunning plan"
this might be a signature
M

Post by M »

Halfrauds have an offer on at the moment - 2 axel stands & off your trolley jack £12.99 - problem sorted -jack car up - insert axel stands - remove bits you need.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

The Baldrick plan is probably about as good as one I had recently when repairing a BX recently with a broken front strut return pipe. I had a spare strut (sans sphere mount but with good return pipe attached ) and thought:

"I'll do that thing where you replace the strut in situ by unscrewing the 36 mm bolt on the strut top to release the strut from the mount + then release from the pinchbolt at the bottom as usual. It'll save me groping around in the grime trying to fit the pipe behind the strut and the pain of doing the return pipe clip.

NOTE - car on stands - pressure released.

After loosening juicing, bringing out out the 36mm nut and some hefty leverage I spent the next 30 mins failing to shift the nut at all. Time for Plan B.

With the usual pair of pincers for the clip (essential for removal and fitting) I had the old one and the replacement off off in a few seconds, and then refitted it securely in a few more. Total time - about 30 seconds.

I'll remember this the next time I have a "clever" idea or plan.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
mtbxathena
Confirmed BX'er

suspension on high

Post by mtbxathena »

Hi All. Its all in bits now, thanks for the safety advice. Regards, Mick.