Getting closer to MOT!

Anything about BXs
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I still think half of the poor running and stalling problems are due to that pipe we shoved on between the fuel filter and the injection pump. It really didn't want to seal well at all. Have you changed it yet?

And have you got all that horrid crud out of your fuel tank?
this might be a signature
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

that pipe has been changed, and it was slightly leaking if you got really nasty with the primer, which i guess means air could just have easily been getting in the same place. There are two copper crush seals which look dead as well so i'll get them ordered and replaced (though nipping up has solved the problem for now), still i think air is getting in somewhere!

As for the fuel, well its on its second full tank of nice stuff (from a garage i can trust, not to mention the second most profitable Shell in the area!), there is no crud in the filter either (have been keeping tags).

I've got a couple of different theories. Most of the problem is hesitation when pulling away, and the engine runs on when the key is removed. The running on only occured when adjusting the idle mixture and anti stall (to stop it falling over EVERY 10 to 15 seconds), so im suspecting the mixture might not be quite right! Further more the car is VERY low on power, and while happily making 0.9 BAR from the turbo, im starting to suspect a dodgy pump, or possibly dirt inside it!

It certainly doesnt need any more of an italian tune up, and it never helped in the first place. The smoke on start up has now vanished having done the head change (suspecting the output was actually water vapour leaking into cylinder 1 or 2) and it has to be said, once running the car is a lot happier. It pretty rough on start up though (probably a lack of cold start device!), so god help me when it gets to the winter again, might be walking again!

Thanks to those who have PM'd me with suggestions and offers of assistance, i am greatful!
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

I have to say after just over a day of working on this engine with Vanny I wasn’t impressed with what we found, there was as he has stated damage to 2 pistons ware the valves have hit at some point, that would have been in the last 3 years as the head was changed at that time as were most or all of the valves, on startup the car put out a plume of steam which was blatantly a head gasket gone, and fitted in well with the theory that the water system was leaking because of gas being pushed into it. When we got the head off I cleaned the heads surface off with a gasket scraper and found masses of calcium build up on the valves (1 and 2 pistons) and ware the gasket face was lots of antifreeze crystals. It now has a multi layer metal head gasket on and runs beautifully bar the fuel level and the fact that the turbo seems lethargic; it also doesn’t have that kick when it’s on boost that every BX TD I've ever owned and driven.

Any way Vanny your back on the road to having your car running well and reliable, thanks for your help with the sty (house) you accomplished pretty much on your own in a day what it would have taken me a week to do! It’s been great spending some time with you and I look forward to seeing you again soon :)

Andy
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Running on Vanny? This sounds as though the stop solenoid has a mind of its own. THat in turn suggests that the ignition switch should be checked for correct operation. That the stop solenoid doesn't work properly is certain so I'd change it out and then check to find out about the hesitation.
NB. Knowing that you are being shafted on your insurance, would it pay you to transfer your 16V bits to a Diesel shell and then swap engines?
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

With regards to the transfering of body kit etc to a td shell i did point put that vannys car is almost identical to a hurricane. and i have to say i prefer themetalic green over red any day.

andy
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Thinking about it, I have to wonder if it's a swolen seal on the end of the stop solenoid, thus neither opening nor closing properly. If that were true, it would account for both the running on and the poor power output.

I also wonder if the corrosion problems in the engine have occured over the time it's been since it was last used. Although it was stored with no coolant in, it's entirely possible that there was a little water left in the bottom of the block which is what's caused all the problems.
this might be a signature
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

The build up of limescale/calcium could have only occured by the engine running with this problem for quite some time. The head gasket was also very heavaly corded and the rust from it was quite well spread up the water chanels. there was another thing that was a bit of an unpleasent suprise and that was the heavy rifeling effect in all the bores which is a signe of dissregard of oil changes this was so bad my digital camera even shows it up on every pot!

as its been said the best thing will be for vanny to get the 1.9 engine reconned as soon as he can afford it. and next time the engine is changed who ever puts the long drive shaft back in needs to use the 2 securing bolts in the rear engine mount as the werent done up last time ad the box dropped its oil on his parents garage floor!

At least it works again!

Andy
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I would examine the stop solenoid, sounds like the rubber tip is falling apart.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

the whole running on thing only really started after having twidled with all the idle mixture and antistall, and im more suspicious of a leak in the low pressure side causing remnants of fuel to be sucked through.

Gonna go get some seals for various parts of the pump which i half suspect of leaking, along with an accumulator sphere (gonna see if i can change another one by hand!), might try swapping the stop solenoid for the Xantia one as well!

Tom, i doubt it's the ignition barrel as the car is onto it's third (break ins before i got the car) and i have tested it with two others (problems with a relay of some sort which turned out to be a loose wire!)! However there is home made wiring in there somewhere that could easily be the problem!

Either way i think i might pull this stop solenoid as it sounds like there pretty naff once they start to give up!

Stewart, i might come and visit you at some point to cast your glaring eye over the engine and see what you think!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

No problem Vanny, but do it before next monday (27th), I am off on my travels again, you could pop over one evening this week if you need to.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

might give you a call later stewart!

Basically the stop solenoid was fine! i went and spoke to a very nice man at a local engine rebuild place, who not only lent me a stop solenoidbut also correctly diagnosed the problem based on the description! Thankyou Carl Roberts of Birkenhead!

Basically there was shit in the fuel pump, yellow flecks of paint is what it looked like, and given all the other problems with the engine i cant say im in anyway surprised! Its solved the surging and running on, but it hasnt however solved the power problem. It has stalled once since and i think this is down to the accumulator being shot to bits!

It's tuff really as i have no more money so it will have to just be slow!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

f##king typical!

I am not happy now!

Oh so bloody wonderful engine has now gone and blown the turbo! THought it was aewfully smokey this morning when going on and off boost, but driving back this after noon the car started making an awefull howling sound. Very metal on metal sounding! I thought it was the clutch (while having been replaced it has made some funny noises on idle), but then i realised the exact same noise was coming from the back of the car!

Quick look at the boost and the car is now not getting past about 0.8 bar (where it was happily shooting to 0.9), and it starts howling at about 0.5/0.6 bar. It makes no different what gear im in, or if the clutch is depressed or not, it also makes no difference what speed im travelling at!

So i guess it will be a new turbo job then! Not bloody likely, more likely to get scrapped, its come VERY VERY close once this month! Guess its a VERY good tip to NEVER buy an engine without firt taking it apart to see what surprises it holds, and never buy an engine to which the history changes hourly!

Can't say im happy, but i am now deffinately saving for a new engine, and will probably get rid of the diesel and get a petrol engine from a good mate of mine who has service history and everything for most of the engines! Just you wait till next year! Back to petrol, back to power and back to some sort of reliability!
M

Post by M »

Oh dear - not a lot one can add to this.

Now Im not going to build your hopes Vanny, but there may be a spare engine looming soon - but it will be an NA diesel - at the very least it will get you mobile and it will be either stupidly cheap or free to collect.

More on that as I hear things.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Another lucky devil! Come on Vanny swapping turbos is a lovely job and can easily be accomplished in a few minutes with simple hand tools, you do have a spare one anyway :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few