Bloody B***cks This Must Be Thursday....

Anything about BXs
M

Post by M »

Well - the coucil after much persuading finally sorted my garage door out and Mr. B came round.

Fished the car out of the garage - its possibly got a bit of a diesel / air leak as it was initially a bit reluctant to keep going once fired up.

Cooling system seems fine - certainly no more mysterious water loss, fans came on ok.

Accumilator sphere, initially clicking every 7 or so seconds - though this improved as the car was run.

Rear windows now working - and has to be the easiest fix in history as I had been replacing the wrong fuse all along by the looks of it - eitehr that or last time I had a fiddle I forgot to put the fuse back! Anyway one new 30A fuse and all is well in the garden :roll:

Front drivers has a shagged regulator which needs substitution - but works after a fashion for now.

More buggering about with a fuse which seems to have been bodged at some point led to the STOP solenoid suddenly not working any more - I removed a fuse in a fly lead which I assumed was for the towbar electics - and suddenly the car stopped working (well wouldnt start). Some previous cowboy bodge - still I now have my own immobiliser :P

Probably the only things left to fettle (apart from general tidying of paint work etc) is the rear engine mount - which is a little bit buggered, but not that bad as it has a solid mount which is slowly breaking up. The OS CV boot and most alarmingly a HP pipe which is probably about to go west as it has been rubbing on a crossmember.

Progress is being made - slowly.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

We'll have in right in the end. A couple of hours work and it'll be sorted. I'll have a crawl under the breaker tomorrow and have a squint at the pipe, if it's a go I'll pull the pipe and the window reg over the weekend :D
M

Post by M »

Many thanks Mr. B for all your good work and enthusiasm.

Will keep you posted about the state of play with the battery too.
M

Post by M »

Bitten the bullet today and just chinged out £50 (thanks to mr flexible friend) for a months (30 days) cover on the BX -
SWMBO wont let me swap her insurance on the AX till its been "proved".

Next stop road tax (ouch :cry: ) then top up the battery again.

Vanny - if i pull that fuse between stops will it stop the battery going down? (for now anyway).
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

hmm, should do i guess, it will certainly issolate the relay and stop solenoid for the time being! If its roadable and you have a ltitle cash for wires etc then come visit and we'll get it all sorted, and anything else electrical you want doing let me know!

To put in into perspective i hav fan overide with fancy twin electrics that run indepentantly of the car electrics, so if it gets hot during the day when parked it will turn the fans on automatically. It also allows runon when you stop the car!

Then i have the car fitted with 110v (twin output 450wat) and 240v (single output 300w), then i have a fancy box of wires which run towbar electrics through relays and can be completely isolated from the normal wiring. not to mention relays for the head lights, a 150 watt amp, many cross overs, head unit etc electrics i can do!
M

Post by M »

Vanny wrote:Then i have the car fitted with 110v (twin output 450wat) and 240v (single output 300w), then i have a fancy box of wires which run towbar electrics through relays and can be completely isolated from the normal wiring. not to mention relays for the head lights, a 150 watt amp, many cross overs, head unit etc electrics i can do!
:shock: Thats not a battery & alternator, thats a bleeding nuclear power station!

Once I have reassesed the pennies will give you a call about that ropey wiring.
M

Post by M »

And now the end is nigh.

Yesterday the BX almost had me brimming with confidence again - I took it to work and it behaved itself, then I took at little trip up to Mr. B's and it still behaved ( and Mr. B luckily discovered my HP pump was more fooked than his before he swapped them).

Then I went home - then the speedo cable snapped causing the car to stop! Luckily it restarted as I was on the River Wyre roundabout at the time. Then I got home and had a call out to help a Dutch bird in distress - when I got back I discovered one of the steel diesel pipes had split and it was spewing fuel out all over the road. I shoved the car in high, put a tray underneath and Mr. B has just won himself another spares car.

I would just like to say - ARSE :cry:
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

well thats just crap after all you've been through! Personally i wouldnt let it get me down but then again my GF isnt scary!

Pipes are cheap, about £11 each from Citroen, and last time i needed one they had it in stock! Speedo cabel is really niether here nor there, i drove for over 6 months with a snapped speedo, learnt to listen to the engine or follow the traffic!

As for your electrics problem it shouldn't be too hard to fix really!

Oh well, never mind (as Eeyore would say!)
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Dont give up at this late stage Marty, your BX is a bit like a spirited thoroughbred and is playing you up a bit, retire to the shed and drink beer until its safe to come out again :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
M

Post by M »

Citroen 1992 wrote:The Citroen BX will change your mind about Diesel
Joanne Richardson 2005 wrote: Now whats gone wrong with it? If that f***ing thing isnt off my driveway by next week Im going to smash it up with a f***ing hammer - now get a decent bloody car instead and no more of these stupid old f***ing Citroens
The wife wins :cry:
M

Post by M »

Marty wrote:
Citroen 1992 wrote:The Citroen BX will change your mind about Diesel
Joanne Richardson 2005 wrote: Now whats gone wrong with it? If that f***ing thing isnt off my driveway by next week Im going to smash it up with a f***ing hammer - now get a decent bloody car instead and no more of these stupid old f***ing Citroens
The wife wins :cry:
Edit - for those who havent met the wife - she has a fair sharp tongue in her mouth and now wants me to go and look at a Rover 25 ((((((RUNS AWAY))))) :shock: :shock: :shock:
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Marty I don't know what to say. Can you park it up out of sight somewhere?

Looks like she's made a bit of a fetish out of the BX, like all of us I suppose, but a negative one for her. You may have to swallow and dump it.

There'll be another one. BX I mean. My sympathy.
M

Post by M »

And tonight away my dear Vera went - off to patures new in Fleetwood.

Picked Mr. B up and treated him to a roly coaster ride in my AX (complete with slipping clutch & reving the arse off to keep the battery light OFF - funny noises and driveshafts you can realy FEEL)

Off he drove into the sunset leaving a cloud of smoke and trail of dripping diesel in his wake.

I was not surprised to hear he broke down on the way home :roll: :twisted:

Good luck Dave - she is your headache now (now I have to change my Avatar!) :roll:
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Vera is resting at the side of the house gently dripping diesel and keeping the green Tizzy company. Bless. The old girl packed up on the way back at the worlds busiest roundabout ! I was just about to take a spirited dash around it but I had to brake suddenly, which caused the unclamped battery to shift and disconnect. :roll: I had to push it onto the verge, tighten the negative terminal, and off we flew! :wink: After my half hour drive I’ve discovered it has a sticking nsf calliper and a whistling sun roof. Apart from that it’s a quick old thing and rides better on the suspension than mine. It will be left now until after my holiday when I will be without the green one and then transplant Veras power plant into my TXD. Watch this space......... :wink:
M

Post by M »

Bloke with More BX's up his drive than I have testicles in reference to the AX ride wrote:I can quite honestly say it must be in the top ten worst cars I've ever been in,
Available to hire to thrill seekers and white knuckle riders at reasonable rates.