another BX officially saved

Anything about BXs
B-Hive
BXpert

another BX officially saved

Post by B-Hive »

Hello all

Well its been almost a year since i bought Margot, and now she is fully registered (MOT'd ) and ready to cover some k's. Not that it was a years worth of work.. could have reg'd her ages ago but hard to justify two cars on the road ..saab TU5 is now undergoing some TLC.. but am really excited that Margot is going to be my ride for the next 12 months. Still has a few issues to sort but very manageable. Stoked that i have a rust free air conditioned 98000 km BX MK1 on the road all for under $400 (approx 160 pounds).

I grinned when she was inspected and the tester had no idea how to test things. He said to his colleague when he thought i couldn't hear "only the french could make a car like this" . It was meant as a sort of insult but I took it as a compliment. He said to me "what's a kid like you want with this car?" I am just 18 but hell...Yes she is french.. yes she is misunderstood..even disliked/unloved on these soils, but i think that is exactly what draws me to this model. I'm proud to say I own a Citroen BX. Dont care what the other "kids" say about me..they can have their characterless junk ..Margot holds her own in any company, maybe not for the nuts and bolts performance stats but for the intangible qualities only a BX owner can appreciate... Had my first Citty at 13 (GS) then CX then 2CV ... Dah BX has just as many qualities/traits as these others I have owned (PS i blame my dad for owning a CX when i was 10 then selling it B4 i could drive).. Lets keep this model alive.
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

good work! Lets have some pictures then..
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

i'm getting in deeper every day. i feel there may be no return. but the bx is rewarding. when everything working well it is a dream to drive. I'm currently tweaking mine. But i have the diamond in my mind.
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

I like your way of thinking. Who cares what anyone else thinks. What do they know? None of my mates even know what a Citroen BX is, so what gives them the right to pass judgement.

Can't wait to see some pictures...

Regards,
Matt
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Good call, everyone I know thinks I'm nuts to drive "that crappy, unreliable french thing"... it's always amusing when there euroboxes expire at the roadsie and ring the bloke with "that crappy unreliable french thing" to come rescue them!

Vive la difference.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pinfold »

But the Bx is so much more than just a car!

Its the fun we have in polishing them every week when they fade pink

Endless hours of trying to get that abs light to go off

and of course having a week without a car when it fails the MOT.

However, i dont know many cars that go up in value when they get killed by a painter and decorater!

Maybe with the fears of the current credit crunch the BX could be a sound investment!

:lol:
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

I have to admit it here that i was not a citroen fan for many years but after my trusty astra mk1 expired on a blast home from working in london.
my father inlaw let me borrow his BX TRD estate for a while i was seduced by the ride and the mpg.

I have been the loyal owner of my TZD for 9 years now and i would not swap for anything new.
It is as you say that mistique that the car has that somehow grabs you and once you have driven a BX nothing new even comes close.

you could not take your new ford mondeo down to B&Q fill the boot with half a ton of balast and drive away as if you had nothing on board.

Long live the BX
Fast becoming a classic.

Regards Kermit :) :) :)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

Nor could you take it fresh out of a garage from a major refit 1500 miles across Europe in one hop, and know it would be OK. No breakdown cover...nothing.

Yep, I got there, did 5000 miles in Czech and 1500 miles home.

Wonderful, and that with 240,000 on the clock!
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Terry you are a real modern day hero.

who needs breakbown cover when you have good old fashioned reliable diesel power.( i am presuming you have a diesel) :oops:

no computers no airbags no parking assist new car drivers are a bunch of woosses.
I bet it didn't even miss a beat all the way.
mine has done 283000 and still on the same engine ( at the moment)

Regards Kermit :) :)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

The only beat it missed was when the German Police stopped us in the middle of the night just outside Nurembourg. It was a hot night, we had all the windows open and were singing the Hatikvah at the top of our voices. It seems they knew the tune was Hebrew and a very famous Jewish song. It's unlikely however, they understood the variant words we were singing in Yiddish - not at all complimentary to Mr Hitler and the Germans.

PS. I speak a little Hebrew, but the Yiddish words I learned by rote.