possible southern/midlands meet...

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
chriscarterstevens
BXpert

possible southern/midlands meet...

Post by chriscarterstevens »

hi,

could i ask for feedback on whether you guys think a southern/midlands bx club meet would be a good idea over the summer.

im a relatively new member, and due to unavoidable work :cry: i probably wont make it to the national. however i will definetly be in stratford at the end of august.

didnt want to miss all the action to be honest :)

any ideas/suggestions greatly received :)
Cartman

1985 BX 19 GT
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'm hoping to plan a trip to Duxford, meeting any interested parties there, in September (Google IWM Duxford).
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
chriscarterstevens
BXpert

duxford...

oh woohoo my 26th birthday is september 17th :D

cake and crisps anyone???
Cartman

1985 BX 19 GT
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Duxford is a fantastic day out, I might well be up for that! Chris, my birthday is the 19th - shall we make it a big cake? I'll be 29...
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Personally, I'd love to go to Duxford for a meet. Visited a good few years ago and it's a great day out.

Unfortunately, coming down from Lancashire, Duxford is not that much different from Godmanchester, and the way things are going diesel (and chip oil) will probably be £2-00 a litre by September.

Some of the 2CVGB meets "oop north" are looking more promising for me.......though I intend to be at Stratford again!

Dave
chriscarterstevens
BXpert

is anybody else missing the national due to various causes? :cry:

come on guys make me feel a bit better :lol:

i think we should make it a beer filled cake.... :D

though that isnt a silly idea because...

:idea: i work in an off-licence :idea:

as im a new member i would really like to arrange a bx club something or other...(insert word here)

so keep suggestions coming 8)
Cartman

1985 BX 19 GT
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Duxford would be more realistic for me getting the BX on the road. I've done the front brakes but still have to sort the lhm leak and fit new driveshaft gaiters. And I will be errm, older than you blokes on September 8th! :lol: So yes a big cake sounds in order. :D

I still plan to make the National in the XM though.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'll be going to Duxford 7th September for the Air Show. Promises to be a good one (90th anniversary). Closer to the time we can arrange rendezvous?
chriscarterstevens
BXpert

looks like its a birthday treat for you then dave! :D

could someone fill me in on a few details about this place as ive not heard of it before :?
Cartman

1985 BX 19 GT
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

chriscarterstevens wrote:could someone fill me in on a few details about this place as ive not heard of it before :?
Their website isn't actually all that exciting - the real thing is much better than it makes out. All sorts of planes to drool over, and often some flying too. I applied for a job there once, and visited the museum as interview research - I ended up spending pretty much the whole day there! Absolutely brilliant.

There isn't much information about the air show, but I'm sure it'll be good.

This link is a bit more visual...
chriscarterstevens
BXpert

that looks pretty darn impressive, im presuming theres a big car park for all us lot :lol:

and maybe a bar etc :D

thats pretty much all we need :!:
Cartman

1985 BX 19 GT
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It is a BIG event with thousands attending. I've been going for a few years now at least once a year and it never loses its appeal. (But I like planes)...

I have found the best thing to do is turn up at 7:50 - 8 am. Park close to the Land Warfare Museum (there's a conveniently situated tank there which is a good landmark). If you are approaching from Royston/the West, it's the first car park entrance you come to on the right (the airfield side), and obviously the last entrance on the left if you are coming from the M11/the East. Being there generally means you can leave without too much of a delay at the end of proceedings (but you can only go West from the exit, so if, like me you want to go East, it's either necessary to double back (depending on congestion) or take another, scenic route home!

Stalls open around 8:30 onwards. there're lots of places for hot/cold food and drinks (but bring a good supply for yourself - it's cheaper!) and a bar, I think (although as I'm driving I don't bother).
chriscarterstevens
BXpert

hmm im not neccessairly thinking of a bar for alcohlic drinks, just generally speaking.

usually if im up at that time in the morning, its a bad idea for me to make food/drinks as ill probably cut a hand off, or even put the kettle in the fridge and the milk where the kettle should go!

YES i have done that before :lol:

sounds like a plan, are you all going to stratford?
Cartman

1985 BX 19 GT
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

National only... But we can get something sorted via the Forum. Stu, Demag you up for it too? Anyone else?
chriscarterstevens
BXpert

well count me in :!:
Cartman

1985 BX 19 GT