The End of Everything

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

docchevron1472 wrote:Either way, she has pulse and moves, it'll do!
Not too fast I hope, can't have 'em getting away can we?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Chains mate. FTW. Just enough slack to reach the sink and bed!

PHWOAR!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
docchevron

Swindon, the land of free?

Post by docchevron »

The News wrote:Scrapping speed cameras would be an invitation to "boy racers", an MP whose council is considering the move said.

Swindon Borough Council is looking at proposals to get rid of the cameras and find other ways to spend the £400,000 annual contribution it currently makes to the local safety camera partnership.

But Swindon South MP Anne Snelgrove, who is parliamentary private secretary to Transport Secretary Ruth Kelly, urged the Tory-controlled council to reject the plan.

"It will be an invitation to boy racers from all over the country to come to Swindon and break the speed limit with no fear of a fine or points on their licence," the Labour MP warned. "I'm urging the council to think again. They need to think about the safety of the children of Swindon on our roads."

Council leader Roderick Bluh said Conservative councillors moved a motion on the issue two months ago and a full paper is due to be presented to the council's cabinet which will consider the options for future road safety spending.

A decision will be made by September, he said.

It is believed to be the first time that a council in the UK has challenged the Government over the issue.

Swindon raised the idea of withdrawing from the Wiltshire and Swindon Safety Camera Partnership after a shake-up of speed camera funding rules which means the Treasury now keeps the proceeds of fines.

The Government then makes road-safety grants to councils. Ministers argue this breaks the controversial link between cash and camera, which critics said gave authorities a financial incentive to fine more motorists.

Tory councillor Peter Greenhalgh, head of highways, transport and strategic planning for Swindon, said the money should be spent on a range of local safety measures.
hhmm, but of course speed camera's were never about raising cash right?

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
M

Re: Swindon, the land of free?

Post by M »

The News wrote: "It will be an invitation to boy racers from all over the country to come to Swindon and break the speed limit with no fear of a fine or points on their licence," the Labour MP warned. "I'm urging the council to think again. They need to think about the safety of the children of Swindon on our roads."
Wont someone think of the Children?

Yes, I will be slugging down the M6 then M5 to race my arse off in the Blingo round the magic roundabout - not. Who do these people think they are?
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

docchevron1472 wrote:
The News wrote: Swindon Borough Council is looking at proposals to get rid of the cameras and find other ways to spend the £400,000 annual contribution it currently makes to the local safety camera partnership.

Swindon raised the idea of withdrawing from the Wiltshire and Swindon Safety Camera Partnership after a shake-up of speed camera funding rules which means the Treasury now keeps the proceeds of fines.
hhmm, but of course speed camera's were never about raising cash right?
There couldn't be a better 'confirmation', could there? :o

As to the treasury bagging the lot, we pay the salaries of government tax people out of national taxation - seems blatently wrong for us to pay continuously for their 'exclusive' mechanical 'collectors' out of local taxation. :evil:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Big M wrote:
Yes, I will be slugging down the M6 then M5 to race my arse off in the Blingo round the magic roundabout - not. Who do these people think they are?
People who distort the truth by omitting to mention that we are the most monitored population on earth! If this fantasy happened, the CCTV monitoring would have squad cars targetting such offenders within minutes!
As always it's rhetoric to take our attention off what is really happening I guess?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Graham Torrington might still be on Severn Sound, not sure if you can get it down in Stroud but we used to listen to him too when we lived in Gloucester. He was also on Beacon FM (Shropshire) that we can get up here if the wind is blowing in the right direction. My guess is that they've got rid of him across the board though...shame.
Re the seats, I have a cunning plan. I'm going to be heading down to my mate's in Bristol in the next month or so, so I can pop round on the way, maybe give you a hand with the air con system you have.
By the way, sorry for illuminating you to the entire campsite when you were taking a whizz. Come to think of it, that's not what torch-man was complaining about was it?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No worries mate.
The seats will be safe until we find a way of getting them back to you.
If you're apssing then feel free to pop by anytime, you're always welcome.

Graham appears to have been deleted across the entire GWR / ONE NETWORK... which is bad, he was great.

And no problem! When you've got as much to show as I have then a bit of subtle lighting realy impresses the ladeez!

M

Post by M »

jonkw wrote: Image
Now, if this was Blackpool Scamera partnership people, they would come along and cut holes in the front bit of the bag where the radar, camera and flash are - leaving the back bit intact and see how many people they can scam £60 out of :twisted:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

FFS haven't these 'do-gooders' (in their minds) have anything better to do? The Treasury are to blame; this lot should **** off to London and wave a few banners outside Westminster if they feel that strongly about it. Then get flattened by a speeding motorcade/taxi/delivery van/motorbike.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

whats with the selling up plans, and whats happeneing with 132?
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

All will be revealed soonish mate.
I'll write a little something up when I return from more important matters, like going to the pub!

ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

hmmmm ----^ keep us in suspense why don't you Doc :(

GWR dropping Bush and Troy is shocking, they were always good for a laugh :x

I reckon it's time you popped round for a cuppa and an update on the menagerie..... here's a clue 8)

Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

awwww, so cute!

Indeed, it's been rather a long time since I visited!
I'll endevour to pop by soon.

It's not so much about keeping people in suspense (since I'm sure no one gives a rats arse anyway) but I dont want to shout too loudly about somehting that may never actually happen.
I'll know either way early next week I imagine.