Jon's Blog started 7th October 2007!

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

jonkw wrote: I wasted over an hour tracing the "leak", which actually turned out to be the spare bottle of LHM under the bonnet leaking. Bollocks!
:lol: A couple of months ago I started noticing small puddles of LHM under the offside edge of the front subframe - thought to myself: bollocks the octopus has hardly been on a year. Finally I investigated more thoroughly after a plaint was made about the mess on the drive (sorry my love) and I traced the leak to.... yes, the drain hole in the bulkhead "cubbyhole" (Great 4 STORAGEZ) where a 1/4 full bottle of LHM had been rolling around with a less than tight-fitting lid :roll: Least I know it's only the rear HC that's leaking onto the drive now :oops:

Sounds like a great trip Jon, but your lack of pictures excuse game is weak :wink:

Cheers,

Mark.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

jonkw wrote: but, after years of driving diesels I was looking for 6th gear quite a lot of the time, and we weren't going that quick.
Jon, sounds like you are another candidate for changing the fifth gear ratio by fitting the fifth gear cogs from a TD. I have some if you are interested.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Consider your 5th cog carefully young webmaster!

Remember, valvers like to rev, it aint a diesel!

That said, it aint hard to wham a TD cog set in should you wish it.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I have a sort of write up that I gave Mike E when he did his swap having done it myself previously.
But all you really need to do - and this is difficult to believe is to follow the Haynes.
But I can let you have my notes as well cos you have to select two gears at once and it is not apparent how you do this.

Not everyone thinks it is a good idea, you lose a little bit of acceleration in 5th. You gain less revs and noise and a bit of extra mpg too.

The calculation to find the mph per 1000 revs with mod fitted is as follows:

5th gear ratio (38/25) times final drive ratio (14/62) times rolling circumference of wheel (1.8m) times 60 times .62 to convert to mph.
This comes out at 23mph
Substitute the original 5th gear ratio of 37/28 and the calculation shows 20mph.

So at 70mph the engine will be spinning 3000 revs instead of 3500. I used a spreadsheet to work this out for me when I did the swap originally in 2002

Re the TD head - yes please I am sure I will need it when get round to stripping off the failing one.
Last edited by Jaba on Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

jonkw wrote:With alarm I noted front pads and discs thinner than Karen Carpenter and with less life in them too.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GOLD!

Oh the bitter irony "We've only just begun, to live"....Er, hhmm.... yeah...

Shame, she was well fit before she went on the oxygen only diet..

Valvers really do like to rev mate, really.
I know it sounds busy at say 80MPH or so, but the engine loves it.
Trundling round at 2500RPM doesn't so them much good.

That said, a TD 5th cog set is easy to fit and does make for more relaxed driving, horses for courses I guess, I'm lucky!
If I want relaxed cruising I drive the TD, if I want screaming balls out fun, I have the mobile Global Warming machine!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Jon wrote
whilst listening to the Spirit of Eden, c 1988
Is that the work of 'Talk Talk?' - I recall that was a good one. I still make mix tapes to play in the car from Vinyl, yes trapped in a time warp, but I've got a load of new old stock cassettes waiting to be recorded on.. it's very therapeutic and I also love 80s hi-fi. If you need some tunes for your new radio/cassette Jon? 8)
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Vinyl, top drawer Todd :D . I've got some old kit that still sounds great today, i've even recently purchased a Nakamichi OMS7 MK2 cd player, always wanted one. Sounds pretty decent, not quite as good as my Rega Planet, but bearing in mind the difference in price & age, a good result anyway....

What stuff have you got?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Oo er! Don't want to hijack Jon's blog with Hi-Fi spodding but I'll be brief. I like the sound of that Nakamichi Mulley - I always fancied the 'Dragon' cassette player that manually turns the cassette.

I've got mostly early 80s Sony equipment. I've just retired my ' Sony Syscon 353 CD' as below as its too fragile for everyday use. The record player slides out on a drawer and all the controls are 'logic' like on a cash-point

Now I'm running a 'Sony Precise' (almost but not exactly like the one below) c.1985 with APM flat diaphragm speakers

For a record player I've got a Thorens TD 318 Mk.II !
!Image

I've also got a collection of early CD players '83-'85. Sound quality is of course important but I'm more interested in design with sound hence Sony in its 80s glory. Easy to see where the BX fits in really! Stuck in the 80s! :D

Sorry Jon for spodding over your blog!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
M

Post by M »

I have a dansette senator :roll:

Hub cap in the post Jon - mind you Im going to be about as popular as a dose of crabs when it lands :lol: :wink: