Talking B____X

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I forgot to say about my BX spotting in France, that there were a lot fewer than I expected, but a surprising number (I counted four out of the dozen or so BXs I saw) of 15's. This 1.5 petrol wasn't available in the UK but I was wondering, why such a seemingly minor increase in capacity? So there was an 11 (I believe) a 14, a 15, a 16 and a 19 petrol BX. The 11 must've been painfully weak and the 15 - well, would anyone have noticed the difference between that and the 14 I wonder?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Probably tax reasons? I.e. get the maximum capacity within each tax band...I wonder whether the 15s use an XU engine?

I've also always wondered why the 1769cc diesels are badged as 17s. Hang on a minute - maybe the 15s use the 1580cc engine but are just badged as 15s to fool the tax people!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

There were 2 power outputs from the 1.6 engine in the 16RE and 16RS same as on the eary 1.4s 62 and 72bhp. It possibly could have been to signify that?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, it's been a bit quiet here on the BX front. But all that's about to change (I hope).

I'm off to Petts Wood tomorrow to pick up 'DGJ' - forum member Dave (db1)'s 1991 BXGTi auto with a fairly impressive combination of good condition (having been well looked after) and high mileage (208k plus). I am really looking forward to it. This will be the seventh or eighth time I've travelled by train to somewhere I've never been before to collect a BX!

Reprt to follow...

The ZX TD is now sold and has gone. I hope the new owner - a fabulous guy who loves his Citroens (he's hoping to get an LNA from France - he has contacts there - and, well 'sooop it up'. Should be fun!).

Wifey not that happy about parting with the ZX. But she'll love being back in a BX I'm sure.

Incidentally, when I showed her a pic of the car I'm collecting she asked about Stu's blue BX estate and even said "I'd have one of those".

The brainwashing is taking effect :lol:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Oh, I did get given a pair of 2500kg axle stands by my mate in Belgium. Had a great stay - and came back with something useful. 8)
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Philip Chidlow wrote:I'm off to Petts Wood tomorrow to pick up 'DGJ' - forum member Dave (db1)'s 1991 BXGTi auto with a fairly impressive combination of good condition (having been well looked after) and high mileage (208k plus). I am really looking forward to it. This will be the seventh or eighth time I've travelled by train to somewhere I've never been before to collect a BX!

I grew up there - trust me, it's not much of a tourist destination (unless you're into mock-tudor houses, bored, violent teenagers and crap pubs).
Philip Chidlow wrote:Incidentally, when I showed her a pic of the car I'm collecting she asked about Stu's blue BX estate and even said "I'd have one of those".
Awesome :)

I'm assuming she likes the colour - everyone seems to comment on it!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, I picked up DGJ today and must say I'm very pleased. It'll get some extra TLC (it hasn't been short of TLC at anytime, judging from the owner's passion, pile of bills and comprehensive service record) this Saturday.

A couple of minor niggles to put right - it needs a new driver's side mirror - the stick on one I used makes it wobble, I want the front ride height corrector looked at as it feels it rides a little high, theres an occassional clunking from the front indicating some worn component - not too serious, and it'll need the radio looking at/replacing as FM radio stations fade in and out.

So, a big thank-you to Dave and Zena who have taken good care of a car that they've enjoyed since new.

More later....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, it's got over £8k's worth of bills an itemised service record from new. Some interesting things including having been run on fully synthetic oil from new - something I will continue to do.

It's due an MOT 22nd Sept. and taxed to 02/09.

And the original bill of sale is here too:

OTR price (ex demo with 1,492 miles on it) £12,595.
Traded in: a 1985 16RS Auto and a 1987 16TRS Auto in met. blue - which were valued by the Citroen dealership (W Shirley & Sons, Croydon) - at £1,000 and £3,095 respectively.

Seeing as we're talking 17 years ago the prices (for cars/trade-ins of this type) really haven't changed that much!
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Ah, now I'm wise ( well in one area) - well done Phil - looking forward to the PHOTOS - you must be out location scouting - you can't use that footballers' housing estate again as a location can you, especially not after Gary's use of that quarry in his gallery pictures. Up the game! :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Got a location in mind...

In the meantime, a thorough inspection on the ramps revealed....
Well, nothing to really worry about: A noisy O/S droplink (have the OE part ready) , a broken rubber exhaust hanger (unless it bangs/rattles I'll replace it at it's next service) and... well nothing. Both rear arm bearings perfect. New Michelins, sound exhaust, new Citroen spheres, pipes all OK, new FDV and evidence everywhere of it having been well looked after. And clean underneath with it!

MOT due towards the end of Sept. I will ensure it's put through after another check up and although the droplink isn't a fail/advisory I'll get that done too.

Polishing and cleaning tomorrow weather permitting.

VERY happy. :D
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes, very pleasant location - made me nostalgic for olde englande - and it wasn't raining! Glad you're enjoying y'self! :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Did something today that I never thought I'd do.

I went into Halfords and found, without the intention of looking, a set of wheel trims on offer that I thought were much more pleasing that the ones on the BX (budget ones) when I picked the car up. A subjective thing. Not 'purist' but until I sort some alloys I'm happy enough. :oops: Pictures to follow....

Also - what brilliant 'kick-down' performance! An excellent car 8)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Like I said, almost ashamed, but until something original comes along...

:roll: :wink:

I've done 200 miles in the car already and it's a good one. A bit harder suspension than I remember the GTi having (but the roads in Chelmsford are extraordinarily bad) and the droplink(s) need doing but when I hand the car over to Dennis, I know he'll give it a good going over just prior to the MOT....

On another subject, I might be selling the Fiat Ulysse. It's great and earned its stripes on holiday in Europe, but I don't really need a 'bus' most of the time, and Liz hinted she'd quite like (would you believe) a tip-top condition BX estate Turbo diesel! I reckon if I said I had a budget of £700 to find such a beast someone might be tempted to sell it! But it has to be in very good condition, with no major issues and in the 'right' colour: grey/silver/triton green (possibly Olympic Blue even :) )
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

A woman of enormous good taste, your Liz! I know I always say this and end up selling the car six months later, but right now I can't imagine being parted from mine - it just ticks all the right boxes and is fantastically useful into the bargain.

With a budget of £700 and a bit of patience you should be able to find a cracker.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, this idea od a charity BX run around the edges od France - the BXagon Run if you like - (see http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php ... highlight= ) - has captured my imagination and now I will try to produce an information/sponsor/press 'pack'. I see little point in going off half cocked when it comes to raising sponsorship and the more 'professional' and well-though-out it appears the better.

I will check with an accountant how best to manage the event financially - I will probably need to set up a building society account or something like that, and make sure any tax relief is obtained etc.

I will spend some time accurately planning the route with timed stops etc. Logistically it isn't a major undertaking (it's not like we are going across a desert) but we do need to ensure we have everything we need to make it work smoothly.

I think each BX entered needs to have a crew of at least two (one of whom needs to have sufficient mechanical/BX knowledge to identify and hopefully fix any problem with the car. Correspondingly there needs to be a reasonable collection of repair parts etc. available (carried between the participants) such as pipes, belts, unions and hoses. Plus a few litres of LHM!
Obviously it would be wise to carry at least one good spare tyre.

I will try to find way points on the route which offer parts availability (be it Citroen garage or breakers).

I suggest we compartmentalise the task. Nominate 'Organiser' - for want of a better word (in charge of route planning etc.), Sponsorship co-ordinator (also in charge of event publicity - something I can do), Technical Advisor and Secretary (keeping on top of the finances).

So, any volunteers?