Could we field a BX?

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Could we field a BX?

Post by Philip Chidlow »

http://www.scumball3000.co.uk
We'd need a crew of two to four. Get sponsored and raise some money (auctioning off stuff etc.) via the members here to help cover the cost of getting the car sorted and fuelled for the trip (£500 fuel alone). But it's for charity and we could plaster sponsor's logos on the car etc... I know another owner's club doing it and they are being successful raising support.

Just a thought. (Interesting topic for discussion if nothing else) :D
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

That would be a laugh! TD estate would be ideal?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I would be up for it (not just for the partying!) - I have thought about it before but never managed to drum up enough support.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, so would I! But let's not kid ourselves, it calls for a lot of commitment and up-front financial too.

However, I know I could raise money from individuals and companies. The minimum sponsorship (by that I mean the pledged (or paid) amount that goes to the charity) is £500. We would need to secure addirtional sponsorship for the vehicle. I think the crew would have to pay for themsleves, personally, to avoid complications.

The vehicle could be got relatively cheaply and with members offering skills to ensure it was at least up to coping with a 2000 mile road trip, it shouldn't work out too expensive. We can do a BXClub round up of parts to ensure there were bits on board and of course there'd have to be at least one person on board who knew how to fix a BX :lol:

I'd do the painting/graphics :lol: And I'm a mean driver (modest, moi?) too :roll:
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

It does sound like an absolute riot but I'm not in a position to make the commitment at the moment :( Shame.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

So...do you have a feel for how much financial comitment would be needed, and by when?
As far as I can see there is the £500 to be raised for charity, £210 entry fee, £500 for fuel (divided by the number of participants), but a quick look at the site wasn't clear whether ferries and campsites are covered by the entry fees. Plus the cost of partying for 4 nights, which could well dwarf the other costs...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

As I understand the individual entry fee covers the ferry crossing too. This £210 is a per person not per team fee. Minimum team size is 2 persons. It makes sense however to have three or four guys on board I think.

The £500 I say for fuel is based upon around 2200 miles. Reasonable I guess (it will be more expensive next year most certainly).

£500 raised for charity. Not a problem IMO.

Plus, a car, prep and spares/tyres/ etc. (No more than £500 initial purchase - not a problem with BXs).

Four nights away (although we may have to consider six - one down, four on the event and one back) - including, Formule 1-style double-up accommodation, evening meal and party material beers say, £50 per person per night. Plus refreshments, food, tolls and misc expenses brings a per person total to around £70, say. So I guess you are talking around £400 per person - at least.

The way I see it is that (I will spend some time on the Forum and do some research), assuming we can secure the charity donations (as much as we can! - after all that's the point) we could obtain financial support from sponsors advertising on the vehicle to help offset these expenses (except beer :lol: )...

Initially it would seem that each member of the crew (say, four) will be looking at forking out the initial fee fairly soon, then in addition to raising money for the charity, obtaining sponsorship for the event to help.

It could end up still costing a few hundred per crew member. Now if there really is anyone on this forum willing to contemplate this in time for next April, then I'm up for it too... 8)
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Phil

In principle I am up for this. Although it seems a bit like what I do each year anyway as I do about 8000 miles each year in a BX in europe anyway. My friends and neighbours think I am mad. Perhaps they are right.
These hospices do a good job and additionally provide a good excuse for a bit of fun along the way in supporting them.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Mmmm. We need to start thinking about the BX to use 8)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I couldn't see anything on the site stating that the vehicle needed to be purchased for the trip - perhaps a more reliable option would be to use a car already owned by one of the participants - that way it's tried and tested. If it can be proved that it was initially bought for less than £500.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

That was my assumption too. We use a car we already have and know and trust. Buying another BX for the scumball is not an attractive idea.
It would be bound to be in need of lots of TLC and parts replacement.
A purchase invoice can easily be arranged I am sure.

This should be clarified as part of the decision making .....
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Turn up in almost any BX and no one will think you paid more than £500 for it! :lol:

Fair point. Who would donate their car though, in truth? I think the way these things work in the end (having spoken to someone who did a similar event) is sell the car to raise even more for the charity. But that's not mandatory...

Having said that if someone has a reliable BX, e.g. a TZD turbo (estate might be best, as Tim says) and wanted to sell it to 'the team' that might be a solution. Then again, if a member of the grew wanted to offer their car up then that's good too. The only BX I'd be likely to be able to offer would be a 210k+ miler GTi auto (comfort, cruising; great - economy; not so great :D )...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Having dipped briefly into the forum on the site, it would appear the estimations for cost are OK, but possibly a little conservative. Fines seems to be a cost that we'd need to consider... but if you don't over do the speeding should be OK. Tolls might be a bit more than anticipated - it depends where the organisers decide to go!

Significantly it would seem some recommend CB on board. I know nothing about CB. Anyone au fait?
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I read that as "trolls" :shock:

Never used CB, but by the time it comes around I will be licensed to use police radios, so I may be able to help there...
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Stu wrote
I will be licensed to use police radios
Is that one of the perks of being a Morris Man then? Sort of M15 'sleepers' - also explaining where all that stick wielding comes in!
Send in The Morris Men! :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read